Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well looks like it’s going to happen. Elon tweeted that hardware upgrade will be offered:

Tesla will offer MCU retrofits and a new software update is coming for old MCUs, says Elon Musk

Edit: didn’t post this fast enough. Already noted in prior post.

I really think Tesla severely underestimated the customer demand for a new MCU, and this might be a U-turn from the previous executive escalation response that they aren't going to do it. If so, kudos to Tesla for listening to customers rather than digging their heels in on a previous position.

But, given what we know about MCU2, I would suspect the retrofit would be some sort of MCU1.5, not an actual MCU2 retrofit. Surely they'd want a connector-compatible part to MCU1 and just a different OS on the existing IC that remotely displays pre-rendered content from the new MCU.

Even if an MCU2 upgrade is possible (I still have doubts anytime soon), I'm sure it's not going to be a free upgrade to replace MCU1s under warranty.

Agreed, but I would hope I could get a parts only cost since there would have been labor involved in the repair anyway. Curious what the cost will be either way, though they probably don’t know yet.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hah! Where are our lighted vanity mirrors if we get them when they are available? Words are one thing, I'd actually like to see people actually receive said promises...

There is a retrofit already available for the lighted vanity mirror.

pema_headlamp.jpg