Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it was so trivial, why did it take them 7 years to do it?

We already know there are additional features like phone-as-key Bluetooth and 5G Wifi antennas which aren't available on MCU1, so a "drop in replacement" already isn't possible, without changes. I agree that the software for most of it is the same in both, but assuming "the software is fairly reasonable written" is a stretch. Have you seen the Media player? I think given an entirely new CPU platform and new hardware to integrate and old bugs to squash, they would have taken a step back an re-engineered 8 year old technology and build it for the future, instead of just leaving it the same.

More likely MS/MX with MCU2 still share codebase with MCU1, than share with M3 (yet, until all is unified).

Unless Tesla is re-using the same FW build IDs, the code is already unified in version 2018.10.1 on both platforms.

• Informative
Reactions: Brettski
If it was so trivial, why did it take them 7 years to do it?

We already know there are additional features like phone-as-key Bluetooth and 5G Wifi antennas which aren't available on MCU1, so a "drop in replacement" already isn't possible, without changes. I agree that the software for most of it is the same in both, but assuming "the software is fairly reasonable written" is a stretch. Have you seen the Media player? I think given an entirely new CPU platform and new hardware to integrate and old bugs to squash, they would have taken a step back an re-engineered 8 year old technology and build it for the future, instead of just leaving it the same.

Unless Tesla is re-using the same FW build IDs, the code is already unified in version 2018.10.1 on both platforms.

Yes, I think we have to wait at least 2-3 years if they are currently working on it. If not, probably we would need a new car.

I'm wondering if the new MCU is required for full FSD? Elon stated awhile back that if a new computer was needed to make FSD work, those that had purchased FSD would get it for free. Is it a different computer?

MCU is just a Media Control Unit. The Autopilot hardware is another onboard computer.

So you said it yourself, the IC stands alone and relies on Tegra2, the CAN bus, and data from the MCU to function. Wouldn't it be easier to just port that software to send the IC the same data stream, then re-engineering an entire physical dash retrofit for every single car, including a new IC, wire harnesses, MCU, connectors, and I'm sure dozens of other parts? Or is the easier route to just build a drop-in MCU1 replacement that already plays nice with all the existing IC and hardware? I really don't know why you think an entire dash retrofit is the easier and less expensive option than porting some existing software?

No, I agree it’s not the less expensive option from a consumer perspective but from a Tesla retrofit perspective it’s definitely the cheaper option since we are footing the bill not them, heck they’ll probably even make a profit on it. I don’t think they want another frankstenstein hardware software situation on their hands. So, yes it’s cheaper and easier for tesla to just bill us for the full retrofit. It’s not like they have software engineers just sitting around waiting to support new configuration, I’d remind you the m3 doesn’t even have a ui for WiFi yet....

I asked my Service Center about having my MCU replaced a few months ago before this new one was even a thing. They said it's $3400. I'm pretty sure this new UMC2 will not be less.

I put a request for pricing on the new MCU retrofit after reading an article. Now, I don’t think I need it at all especially if they fix the software but initially I thought it would make my car future proof (for a time) as I thought the MCU was the “main control unit”. Now that I’m reading it’s the MEDIA control unit I’m like.... maybe not so important.

At $2000-$2500 I’d upgrade both my X and S but at $3400 it gives me serious pause. Let’s hope they give me a deal if I do two cars.

Reactions: David99
I’ll be the first to eat crow that I said no way on this.

It didn’t make sense and I still don’t thInk it does unless it’s just pulling it out and connecting the same power cable and low voltage.

Important questions remain still:
1.) Does MCU1 owners have less functionality or just slower functionality of everything if they don’t upgrade.
2.) How much and how long to install?
3.) When will this be offered?
4.) Jump on it immediately or wait and miss out, not get the option as Tesla decides it didn’t make sense to offer it? :)

Edit: you can’t compare the MCU2 upgrade to a battery pack swap. One is clearly more intensive than the other. One swap can cook you / crush you while one might make you break a nail.

Last edited:
Important questions remain still:
1.) Does MCU1 owners have less functionality or just slower functionality of everything if they don’t upgrade.
2.) How much and how long to install?
3.) When will this be offered?
4.) Jump on it immediately or wait and not get the option as Tesla decides it didn’t make sense to offer?

If the upgrade is relatively easy to perform, I can see Tesla incentivizing the upgrade with a lower cost or simply pushing people to upgrade by saying old MCU will not get new features. Beyond the one time install cost, there is the benefit of having the same codebase running on all cars. I hope MCU2 is more modular such that subcomponts (eg CPU) can be upgraded without wholesale swap out in the future.

A car last can easily last 12 years, no one would be caught dead with a 12 year old smartphone.

If the upgrade is relatively easy to perform, I can see Tesla incentivizing the upgrade with a lower cost or simply pushing people to upgrade by saying old MCU will not get new features. Beyond the one time install cost, there is the benefit of having the same codebase running on all cars. I hope MCU2 is more modular such that subcomponts (eg CPU) can be upgraded without wholesale swap out in the future.

A car last can easily last 12 years, no one would be caught dead with a 12 year old smartphone.

I’m willing to double or nothing my no MCU upgrade gambling loses by saying no CPU swap ever! :)

With the level of SoC (system on a chip) integration everything is soldered on to the main board.

I agree about not maintaining old cold bases but you kinda have to. Otherwise 100k annoyed owners.

I think for that issue Tesla is replacing just the screen now for ~$1,200.
I’ve heard $800 but was quoted $1000. So wtf is up with the varying prices? I am just getting a bit disturbed by the inconsistency & pissed that my screen got f’d while at service! I probably would have got a M3 in December if it wasn’t for all of this ( and being told that autocross is why my sunroof has issues that it always had since 2013!!)