Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of all those stating the MCU1 shouldn't have any problems running circles around the tasks it's given, would you care to enlighten me as to why it hasn't been doing this for the past 6 years?
My theory: the original code was written by a genius in a hurry who left soon after.
It’s been cargo cult code since then, until they could get the motivation to have another go with a new team.

I am reminded of when some people said we’d never have rear camera view back(ing)-up lines without hardware changes. And then one day, voila - there they were.

Thing about the MCU is that it can be as fast as greased lightning and it won’t matter until they fix aspects of media/audio management and UI/UX - and that will come not from a hardware swap but from software. Although maybe initial indexing would be considerably faster...

Soooooo...presuming that an MCU1 —> MCU2 upgrade will cost every bit of $2500 and potentially more (and possibly less), I dunno if I’m going to get in that line.

The 3G —> LTE board upgrade was worth every penny of $500, even if they did dent and bend 2 pieces of my fascia/trim in the process. It turned a wholly unusable feature set into a fairly reliable feature set overnight. After the first 8 hours of zero communication with the mother ship, but I digress.

In any case, it’s nice to hear we’ll be able to upgrade. Hopefully existing FSD owners will have a painless time getting those hardware upgrades as well.
I agree it’s all about the software. The TuneIn feature (different in US?) has been so buggy since forever, just fixing that would make me a happy camper.
The good thing is that improved software really is coming soon, and will be free. Not sure about MCU upgrade, could still be a long way off or too expensive.

I agree it’s all about the software. The TuneIn feature (different in US?) has been so buggy since forever, just fixing that would make me a happy camper.
The good thing is that improved software really is coming soon, and will be free. Not sure about MCU upgrade, could still be a long way off or too expensive.

We shall see. Here I listen mostly to Slacker, but what they provide with the car is the Plus version - not the Premium version - so no commercials but also no ability to repeat tracks or to build playlists (unless one upgrades). Lately, which is to say for a few months now, I get more loading errors than successful podcast delivery from Tunein - pretty much useless, yeah.

Reactions: JHawk
We shall see. Here I listen mostly to Slacker, but what they provide with the car is the Plus version - not the Premium version - so no commercials but also no ability to repeat tracks or to build playlists (unless one upgrades). Lately, which is to say for a few months now, I get more loading errors than successful podcast delivery from Tunein - pretty much useless, yeah.
Australia's pretty different.
- No browser at all (only 6 icons at top of MCU screen)
- Spotify included (free, premium, but I log in with my own account)
- TuneIn (whatever that is) which runs podcasts, internet radio etc

All fine except TuneIn, which can't play half of my favourite podcasts, even though the search finds them I can add them as favourites. Also forgets how far along a podcast has been played, plus lots of little UI annoyances.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
They are probably working on figuring out a way to do it, but probably everyone is working on building more model 3 at this point until the very last second of q1

Realistically I won’t expect a solid answer on this until at least a couple months down the road. Elon saying that it can be done is the first step, the practicality, logistics and cost in another that will need to be crossed.

The question was what do you *want* Tesla to do or what they *could* do, not what *will* Tesla do.

Other autos do just fine selling vehicles when people know upgrades are coming in a year, FYI.

No, they most certainly don't. They end up with dealer lots full of stuff that gets heavily discounted to move out of the way, some of it sitting around for up to a year.

Tesla doesn't have dealer middlemen to do that to, doesn't have that fun marketing game to let them play with customers, the kind of stuff that makes so many people hate car salesmen.

$7500 plus additional depreciation plus state sales tax ($7500) plus car rental plus 3 months wait = a huge amount more than $5,000.

Lol. Now it's just to 'surf faster'. Again, I don't care about what's in the pipeline in terms of new features. The current MCU is abysmal. I'm not sure why you think you should be the arbiter of what people value.

And again, I complained about the screen even before I knew about the new MCU. This has nothing to do with neighbor resentment, especially since I'm willing to pay $5000 even though my 'neighbor' is getting it for free. I wouldn't even complain.

If you spent $5000 on the MCU2 upgrade and then next month an OTA update made the old MCU 90% as fast as your new one you'd be first in line whining about being cheated.

Even if they are able to optimize the old MCU, the new MCU will always be at least 4x faster.

Taking a wait and see approach is like hoping that the next version of Windows is magically faster on your five year old 1 Ghz laptop before deciding to upgrade to the latest, 4 Ghz version. Face it, your old machine will never lose that "junk funk" smell.

That worked with Windows 7 LOL

Reactions: d-bone and Doctt
I have a loaner with the new MCU, has anyone else noticed how much faster LTE download/upload rates are? I’m an area where I get food signal my 2017 MCU usually can’t manage over 9-10 Mbps. The new MCU was over 20 up and down. I was very surprised. Couldn’t try out WI-FI because of course it couldn’t connect (it couldn’t figure out it’s MAC address and there is no soft reboot still it seems.

Additionally, in the equalizer settings, instead of Dolby it lists “Immersive Audio” with off, normal and high settings... I’m not sure if that is new in 18.12 or not, I have not looked at my equalizer since 18.10...

Lastly, without a doubt the new MCU is using vector maps, you can tell because the text stays in the correct orientation regardless of how you rotate it. The bitmap version only has certain pre-rendered views for text...

I have a loaner with the new MCU, has anyone else noticed how much faster LTE download/upload rates are? I’m an area where I get food signal my 2017 MCU usually can’t manage over 9-10 Mbps. The new MCU was over 20 up and down. I was very surprised.
Not necessarily a surprise. If a system is not fast enough to process network replies at the same speed the network is capable of, overall transfer speeds will be on the level of the slowest component. Experienced this like 15 years ago with an upgraded computer on a 1Mbit DSL line (the bad old days), going like "How can this be so ph*ckin fast, I only changed to a new CPU!?"
Now with the obviously massively faster MCU2 it's much more likely to actually use the connections full capacity.

If you spent $5000 on the MCU2 upgrade and then next month an OTA update made the old MCU 90% as fast as your new one you'd be first in line whining about being cheated.

Nope, it’s a risk I’d be willing to take.

And if you think there’s actually a chance of the old MCU being 90% as fast as the new MCU due to a software update, I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

I have a loaner with the new MCU, has anyone else noticed how much faster LTE download/upload rates are? I’m an area where I get food signal my 2017 MCU usually can’t manage over 9-10 Mbps. The new MCU was over 20 up and down. I was very surprised. Couldn’t try out WI-FI because of course it couldn’t connect (it couldn’t figure out it’s MAC address and there is no soft reboot still it seems.

Additionally, in the equalizer settings, instead of Dolby it lists “Immersive Audio” with off, normal and high settings... I’m not sure if that is new in 18.12 or not, I have not looked at my equalizer since 18.10...

Lastly, without a doubt the new MCU is using vector maps, you can tell because the text stays in the correct orientation regardless of how you rotate it. The bitmap version only has certain pre-rendered views for text...

I don't see it in mine with PUP. It is the same as before... "dolby surround".

Anyone in Canada with MCU 1, what is your download speed? I visited the fast.net speed testing site and get 1-2 MB/s. Is this normal? I hope we can upgrade the mirror/antenna to get faster speeds...but perhaps this is limited by the MCU itself.