Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All us MCU1 owners outside Elon's window...
View attachment 456468

But wait Elon already said that we can upgrade remember. Well what are we waiting for guys? Let’s all hurry down to our local service centers with cash in hand.so they can look at us like we’re crazy and say oh that’s just Elon being Elon, now take a hike.

Id love to see how many of us are out there wanting to upgrade. My guess it’s a lot.

But wait Elon already said that we can upgrade remember. Well what are we waiting for guys? Let’s all hurry down to our local service centers with cash in hand.so they can look at us like we’re crazy and say oh that’s just Elon being Elon, now take a hike.

Id love to see how many of us are out there wanting to upgrade. My guess it’s a lot.

Put me on the list.

I would upgrade. And I think they should give us new and updated MCU's at cost plus legitimate labor as a sign of goodwill. I mean, look at who's affected, your most loyal and die-hard supporters (oldest).

I would say that the "most loyal and die-hard supporters" bought new cars as newer better versions came out. :rolleyes:

Many many people stretched their Camry/Accord budget into the S range, which is why now that the 3 is out the S/X sales have fallen.

Tesla will or won't; it's not up to us. It would be good marketing for them to support their cars for the long haul.

I personally dislike cars that don't have the DIN formatted stereo; I was able to update the radio in my 2003 allroad to one with a touch screen and android and other bells/whistles. There are lots of people who grow to hate their non-upgradeable radios to the point that many upgrade their cars, but rarely do they stay in-brand after spending months yelling at their totally obsolete GPS / nav system.

"Forcing" customers to upgrade is a thing, but I'd argue it doesn't do much for brand loyalty.

:shrug:

Out of our hands; we'll see, right?

I would say that the "most loyal and die-hard supporters" bought new cars as newer better versions came out. :rolleyes:

I’d say not necessarily. If you had a 2018 Tesla with MCU 1, would you be running out to buy a 2019 Tesla just for MCU 2? Not all of us can afford to do that. I seriously doubt there are many people in this forum right now even talking that can afford to buy a new Tesla every year. Remember also that a lot of the Tesla owners that are enjoying these new features are Model 3 owners that paid half of the price of us S and X owners from a year ago. I would say the people contributing to Tesla‘s bottom line are the people buying the premium sedans with the larger profit margin. S and X owners are the reason that the Model 3 even exists. Where’s the love?

Mike, I was one of those loyal and die-hard supporters that spent over $46,000 to trade in my S85D for a S90D. Unfortunately after buying a Model S with AP2/MCU1, Tesla changed to the MCU2 hardware and my car does not support most of the new features like Dashcam, Sentry Mode, etc.

I have a hard time justifying spending another $40,000 to upgrade to MCU2. Also as one of the early FSD adopters, all of the promises that Elon made, Early Access Program, upgrade to MCU2, have all been a lie. The latest lie is that Early FSD adopters were supposed to get updates before other owners by using the Wide Early Access Program. On 9-28-19, I upgraded to V10. Here are cars that got their updates before me.

upload_2019-9-30_12-10-8.png

I would be willing to spend the money to upgrade to a MCU2 if Tesla ever allows it.

Last edited:
Mike, I was one of those loyal and die-hard supporters that spent over $46,000 to trade in my S85D for a S90D. Unfortunately after buying a Model S with AP2/MCU1, Tesla changed to the MCU2 hardware and my car does not support most of the new features like Dashcam, Sentry Mode, etc.

I have a hard time justifying spending another $40,000 to upgrade to MCU2. Also as one of the early FSD adopters, all of the promises that Elon made, Early Access Program, upgrade to MCU2, have all been a lie. The latest lie is that Early FSD adopters were supposed to get updates before other owners by using the Wide Early Access Program. Here are cars that got their updates before me.

View attachment 461026

I would be willing to spend the money to upgrade to a MCU2 if Tesla ever allows it.
FWIW, thank you for being willing to support even though you've been burned.

Reactions: scottf200 and S100D
I have a hard time justifying spending another $40,000 to upgrade to MCU2. Also as one of the early FSD adopters, all of the promises that Elon made, Early Access Program, upgrade to MCU2, have all been a lie. The latest lie is that Early FSD adopters were supposed to get updates before other owners by using the Wide Early Access Program. Here are cars that got their updates before me.

View attachment 461026

Sorry to hear your story. Yes spending $40k for a MCU upgrade isn’t worth it. I would only do if there is much better thing to do.

I bought AP2.0 right before they released 2.5 - missing many pocket saving features just by a bit. But the Early FSD does happen. My car before was like last 20% people to get the update on teslafi. But now, I always on the first day group.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Sorry to hear your story. Yes spending $40k for a MCU upgrade isn’t worth it. I would only do if there is much better thing to do.

I bought AP2.0 right before they released 2.5 - missing many pocket saving features just by a bit. But the Early FSD does happen. My car before was like last 20% people to get the update on teslafi. But now, I always on the first day group.

You are one of the lucky Early FSD Adopters. I am one of those also but I never get my updates early.

• Helpful
Reactions: r0xx0r
DAErik just posted on YouTube regarding the MCU 1 situation. It’s good to see mention of it finally.

Video link below. Give it a thumbs up, and comment. Let’s see if we can help bring more attention to this issue affecting all of us.

Now we need “i1Tesla”, “Now you Know”. “Like Tesla”, “Andy Slye”, “Rich Rebuilds”, and “Drag Times” to weigh in. To name a few. The more attention the better.

DAErik just posted on YouTube regarding the MCU 1 situation. It’s good to see mention of it finally.

Video link below. Give it a thumbs up, and comment. Let’s see if we can help bring more attention to this issue affecting all of us.

Now we need “i1Tesla”, “Now you Know”. “Like Tesla”, “Andy Slye”, “Rich Rebuilds”, and “Drag Times” to weigh in. To name a few. The more attention the better.

MCU1screwing.JPG