Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can people tell me if I'm being crazy... Or if this makes sense as something Tesla should do.. def. Offer MCU2 upgrade option, if your car.is still under warranty then free... If out of warranty, you can pay for it. And if you are an OG that has a gen.1 model S with the TECH PACKAGE then you should get upgraded free.
That is the opposite of smart. Instead, Tesla should simply use it as a revenue opportunity by selling it as a profitable retrofit, or sell the parts and allow a DIY upgrade via a customer available Toolbox version, or simply and publicly state (from corporate blog post) that retrofits will not be offered. The whole problem here is contradictory and misleading information from the CEO.

I thought they brought back unlimited supercharging on the new S/X?
Limited time end of quarter sales push thing. It was only for cars that could be delivered before the EoQ. It's not available anymore now that we are in Q4.

/Edit Just looked, it's still available. I didn't expect that to stick around honestly. Perhaps they really need all the help they can get to goose S/X sales.

Last edited:
I think it’s it’s a moral obligation at this point. Why didn’t they just make MCU2 compatible with older cars in the first place? Forced obsolescence?
I don't think that your accusation is warranted or fair. The goal of MCU2 would appear to be twofold: (1) update the performance of the MCU with the same CPU as the Model 3, and (2) reduce production costs by eliminating the need for a separate CPU to drive the CID. Both of these are reasonable goals. And neither of them are related to forced obsolescence.

At the same time, it is not difficult to construct an upgrade for older vehicles that would still use the existing CID. However, what business considerations have stopped Tesla from following through on Elon's promise, I do not pretend to know. But I am greatly disappointed.

The goal of MCU2 would appear to be twofold: (1) update the performance of the MCU with the same CPU as the Model 3, and (2) reduce production costs by eliminating the need for a separate CPU to drive the CID. Both of these are reasonable goals. And neither of them are related to forced obsolescence.
And they couldn't have done that without screwing the owners of older cars?

And they couldn't have done that without screwing the owners of older cars?
You are an adult, aren't you? If so, I would presume that you are mature enough to realize that improving a product made after you bought yours is not "screwing the owners of older cars".

The only thing that Elon can be faulted for here, is that he promised an upgrade and hasn't followed through on that promise, despite the fact that there are people who made purchasing decisions based upon that promise.

You are an adult, aren't you? If so, I would presume that you are mature enough to realize that improving a product made after you bought yours is not "screwing the owners of older cars".

The only thing that Elon can be faulted for here, is that he promised an upgrade and hasn't followed through on that promise, despite the fact that there are people who made purchasing decisions based upon that promise.
I'm very satisfied with Tesla's rate of innovation. I think it's great. The problem isn't that they are improving cars beyond what mine can be improved upon. It's that they have taken away functionality and usability from a car I bought new, less than three years ago. In fact it was less than two years old when V9 came out.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D