Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah seriously.

Meanwhile the complaints are already rolling in for people who listen to local radio like it's the 1930's.

I want the AM/FM option not for 'old radio station' listening but for the much more important Emergency Advisory Radio Stations that are all over the US (hundreds of them). They usually broadcast at 1610 or 1640AM and provide important driving information about local delays and shutdowns, primarily at bridges and tunnels but also in the mountain areas in winter months and many state/national parks. These are NEVER streamed so the only way to get them is over-the-air. In MI alone there are 25 and are invaluable when crossing the Mackinac Bridge or going into Canada.

I have no issue paying for the update but do not want to lose AM...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I want the AM/FM option not for 'old radio station' listening but for the much more important Emergency Advisory Radio Stations that are all over the US (hundreds of them). They usually broadcast at 1610 or 1640AM and provide important driving information about local delays and shutdowns, primarily at bridges and tunnels but also in the mountain areas in winter months and many state/national parks. These are NEVER streamed so the only way to get them is over-the-air. In MI alone there are 25 and are invaluable when crossing the Mackinac Bridge or going into Canada.

There is no option for AM with MCU2. Even new Tesla S/3/Xs no longer have AM radio support.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and outdoors
View attachment 517834

The way I read this part of the announcement is that since my car is from 2013 and has Premium Connectivity, it will continue to have that feature after the upgrade...

The way I read it is - "When we upgrade you, you'll still have ACCESS to premium connectivity, but you'll have to start paying $9.99 for it like all the new kids."

As in, you may already have premium, but when we upgrade you, you'll start paying for it.

And this makes sense, because the whole reason they provided free premium to MCU1 folks was that they couldn't access the high data usage features, like Theater. With MCU2 upgrade, you'll be able to access theater, and they'll want to charge you for the data use.

I could be wrong, but I'd think from Tesla's angle, it would be in their best interest to start charging folks. Hence why they even mentioned the cost in this article in the first place.

The way I read it is - "When we upgrade you, you'll still have ACCESS to premium connectivity, but you'll have to start paying $9.99 for it like all the new kids."

As in, you may already have premium, but when we upgrade you, you'll start paying for it.

And this makes sense, because the whole reason they provided free premium to MCU1 folks was that they couldn't access the high data usage features, like Theater. With MCU2 upgrade, you'll be able to access theater, and they'll want to charge you for the data use.

I could be wrong, but I'd think from Tesla's angle, it would be in their best interest to start charging folks. Hence why they even mentioned the cost in this article in the first place.

My Tesla account page (I do periodic screen prints/saves) specifically shows for my VIN, "Premium Connectivity - Free Unlimited". I of course will read EVERYTHING they ask me to agree to prior to the upgrade but if they try to take it away after the upgrade and I did not agree to its removal, I will pursue legal action, and I am sure others will to...

Well yeah, if they tell you they aren't taking it away in the work agreement and then take it away, I'd jump on that too.

I have "free unlimited" on my page as well, but if they're changing hardware that adds functionality and connectivity, i'd expect new terms. Because AFAIK the whole reason they gave MCU1 cars free unlimited data is because they couldn't use the MCU2 high-bandwidth features.

Well yeah, if they tell you they aren't taking it away in the work agreement and then take it away, I'd jump on that too.

I have "free unlimited" on my page as well, but if they're changing hardware that adds functionality and connectivity, i'd expect new terms. Because AFAIK the whole reason they gave MCU1 cars free unlimited data is because they couldn't use the MCU2 high-bandwidth features.

We will have to see what they do...

Wait, what? "Legal action" to not pay $120 per year? How much is the "legal action" going to cost you?

The firm I would use would of course seek compensation that included all court and (their) legal costs, "pain and suffering", etc. I would expect that the first letter would resolve the issue but who knows. Would have to cross that bridge if we got to it. Been down this road with other companies. Good documentation and bad publicity for a trivial issue is a great motivator to (sometimes) get an apology and restore 'promised' services or material assets...

• Funny
Reactions: GWord
So you think in 2013 they said "this MCU we designed is great, but we are going to do MCU2 in the future so lets give them unlimited connectivity now and we can take it away later"?

No. I think they released MCU1 in 2013, and it has become obsolete and replaced by MCU2 as is the normal progression of technology. From any other vehicle manufacturer, that would be the end of it. Want a newer system? Buy a newer car. How many times have BMW and the like offered a factory-built upgrade to an infotainment system? None that I can think of, ever.

But Tesla is giving you an upgrade path via the MCU2 conversion, with the understanding that MCU2 comes with additional connectivity options - and if you want them, it requires a paid subscription plan.

So, the options will be:
1) Keep MCU1, keep your free premium because your functionality/connectivity are limited.
2) Upgrade to MCU2, stick with basic connectivity for free, enjoy faster interface only.
2) Upgrade to MCU2, pay $9.99/mo for the premium connectivity, and enjoy faster interface as well.

They haven't created some magic loophole here. Nor did they sit there in 2013 and scheme about how they could trick MCU1 owners into paying 10 bucks per month 7 years down the road. If you just want faster interface, $2500 and done. If you also want want premium data features, you gotta pay for premium data.

I'm sure they'll clarify the option of the premium subscription plan in the fine print.

Did you do your own emmc work or did you send it out?
I did it myself
The tuner. The mcu2 upgrade you’d need lots of software help to diy. The hardware is plug and play as reported long ago, minus the tuner and the extra WiFi antenna which are a pita to replace hardware wise.
actually I was referring to the mcu2 diy upgrade. The tuner isn't hard to figure out.

That's not entirely true. The reason I kept my MCU1 premium connectivity is because I was told, at purchase, that I would have it for the life of the car.

So, the options will be:
1) Keep MCU1, keep your free premium because your functionality/connectivity are limited.
2) Upgrade to MCU2, stick with basic connectivity for free, enjoy faster interface only.
3) Upgrade to MCU2, pay $9.99/mo for the premium connectivity, and enjoy faster interface as well
I dont think this is accurate. Per Infotainment Upgrade FAQ, if one already has premium connectivity included with the car, it will stay that way. So for me it will be:
4) Upgrade to MCU2 and continue to enjoy premium connectivity for free as it was included with the car purchase.

When we get the upgrade e-mail, will schedule service and request the MCU2 radio upgrade at the same time. And if there isn't an option to do that, will cancel the infotainment upgrade.

Since many AM stations support HD radio, without AM, the MCU2 radio can get most of the AM stations.

Since we listen to live news and sports that's unavailable with the TuneIn app, unless Tesla can upgrade the radio or provide TuneIn Premium, SiriusXM and possibly Radio.com apps OR provide screen mirroring so we can access the smartphone apps from the console, we'll be a NO to the infotainment upgrade.

For owners that also want radio after the MCU2 upgrade, you should let Tesla know - so they'll be aware of how many customers want that option.

Even if it is difficult, it must be possible to upgrade the radio...