Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

MCU2 SIM Location

I have 2017 UK spec Model X which is upgraded to MCU2 and HW3 from Tesla. This vehicle is now in a gray market which is why I am looking to change the SIM with a local SIM card that will work with any APN.

What I want to know is the location of the SIM card in MCU2. Is it onboard behind the screen like in US cars? Is it eSIM? (Hopefully not!) I read somewhere that it might be behind glovebox near autopilot3 computer?

Prior to MCU2 upgrade, this 2017 Model X had MCU1 with SIM extender right below the MCU unit.

Any ideas and help on SIM card location will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Hi
from what I have heard the LTE modem in inside the MCU2, connected via what looks like a m2 connector, they are all the same for M3 MY and MCU2's ... It also looks like its an eSim, but I have seen versions of the board with soldered on sim slot instead of the eSim chip .

you can actualy see location here

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC