Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2. The darkness has lifted

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Good news. I think. I recently upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 and hated the dark rear camera.

Just got 2021.4.3 and the rear camera performance is much better.

Same here. The rear camera on my 2016 S was much better at night than that on my 2019 S. Now with 2021.4.3 it's hard to tell the difference.

bktiger86

Sep 3, 2016
West Covina, CA
I literally just got my MCU2 2 days ago and this update came out. I praise to everyone who was hanging on when the rear camera was dark. But the upgrade was one of the best things I've done to the car. It makes it feel like a brand new car. Now that the price dropped to $1500 it should be a no brainer

David.85D

Oct 29, 2016
USA
I had just bought the Abstract Ocean license plate LED bulbs to help the situation out with a little more light back there, and will install them, but it is back to the brightness I was used to on my AP1/MCU1 car.

BPeter

Feb 2, 2019
Minnesota
Has anyone else's camera gotten dimmer? It was great after the update but it feels like a recent update regressed again. It's not quite as bad as it was but it seems a lot worse.

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
I've noticed a lot of variability in brightness. The side cameras still are might brighter in the same lighting conditions. I don't know why the backup camera image can't be processed in the same way other than backup cam is full color fisheye but AI shouldn't care.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC