Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - TuneIn Radio - is it really that slow and buggy?

tommytuna

Nov 16, 2020
Toronto, ON
I recently did the MCU2 upgrade (super awesome - except losing FM Radio). I have started to play around with built in TuneIn app and it seems quite bad to be honest. Anytime i click a station it starts to play for about a fraction of a second and then it "spins" for atleast 5-10 seconds before the station starts playing. All other apps work lightening fast - Spotify, Slacker etc.

Anybody else notice this? Am i doing something wrong? Latest firmware 2020.48.12.1.

Thanks!

Les236

Jan 20, 2018
Kissimmee, FL, Boston, MA
Has been happening on mine for months and the last several firmwares. I am currently at the same as yours. I have always wondered why it plays for a second, pauses, and then continues, always the same song as that 1 second play. Sometimes it never comes out of the spinning until I select another station, then go back to the one I want. Occasionally it won't play the one I want until I reboot the MCU2. I had similar issues before the MCU2 upgrade, just a lot worse.

Reactions: Simon_Emes

DCGOO

Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
It is really a function of the quality and speed of the connection to the Internet. As you probably know using your cellphone, it can get pretty sketchy. Tunein uses real-time streaming technology, which takes time to fill up buffers, which are dynamic. Spotify and Slacker download full or large portions of files, then start playing, so they appear to work better.

Last edited:

DCGOO

Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Hmm TuneIn on my phone is way quicker even with lousy reception. Definitely not a great implementation on the Tesla.

Keep in mind the Tesla network is all tunneled through California (at least here in .us). So network connections are much poorer than what folks get from their phones/hotspots directly.

bionichomer

Jan 6, 2019
Atlanta
TuneIn is no good for me. I have the same experience as what someone stated previously, terrible on MCU1, a little better on MCU2. Overall it's frustating to use so I have avoided it. I find it easier to search music/news/podcasts using the tesla "streaming" button.

tommytuna

Nov 16, 2020
Toronto, ON
Yup giving up over here as well - will be looking for the FM upgrade when available to get radio back. Missed the FM this year doing some Christmas light drive through yours where we couldn’t tune into the local channel.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC