Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade and HW3 Upgrade soon to come!

Will you opt in for mcu2 upgrade for 2500?

• yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • no

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sucks is the loss of FM and AM. Why? There are many places in the US that use either band to broadcast emergency notices on highways (usually at the low or high end of both bands). Not sure what people are going to do to receive these.

So, do new 2020 vehicles exclude both bands? Or is this due to the upgrade?

What sucks is the loss of FM and AM. Why? There are many places in the US that use either band to broadcast emergency notices on highways (usually at the low or high end of both bands). Not sure what people are going to do to receive these.

I assumed this meant MCU2 didn’t have it period. Not so?

There was a post in one thread that they are using the radio antenna for the 5 GHz wifi. So perhaps the radio deletion is to avoid installing a new wifi antenna which would need perhaps mirror replacement, etc. Cost, time, whole pile of stuff.

That may be the cause of that ‘loss’.

Guess I am going to have to throw a handheld AM radio in the glovebox if I do the upgrade - now I am on the fence. Here in MI there are 25 Emergency Advisory Radio Stations and hundreds more across the US. In MI, the most important ones to us are that Mackinac Bridge and the US/Canadian crossings, but there are some around the larger cities. Really helps to know what is going on in real time. I have never seen any notices that one can find the info being streamed - just to tune to 1610AM. And with the web browser totally useless, that is not an option...

Reactions: Tdreamer

I assumed this meant MCU2 didn’t have it period. Not so?

New S&X still have FM/XM. But apparently Tesla decided not to upgrade the tuner module when performing the MCU2 upgrade. (Additional parts/wiring harness as well as an additional ~2 hours of labor from what DIYers have said.)

AM/FM. What's that......haven't "tuned" in to a AM/FM station since 2015....Tesla must have demographics and seen just how many people do and decided the few that do could use their cell phones and TuneIn to listen to commercials. LOL LOL. (BTW I am just kidding not being a jerk)
image.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I wonder if the loss of AM/FM is a software or a hardware thing? Clearly the MCU1 and MCU2 hardware has the radio and antenna. Did they not want to bother connecting the older antenna to the new wiring harness? Or did they not want to program the new MCU to talk to the older tuner chip?

Said another way... Can I hold out hope that AM/FM could come in the future or is this likely it?

I wonder if the loss of AM/FM is a software or a hardware thing? Clearly the MCU1 and MCU2 hardware has the radio and antenna. Did they not want to bother connecting the older antenna to the new wiring harness? Or did they not want to program the new MCU to talk to the older tuner chip?

Said another way... Can I hold out hope that AM/FM could come in the future or is this likely it?

It is a hardware thing. They appear not to want to replace the analog tuner module with the new digital tuner module that the MCU2 requires. I would think they might offer an upgrade option for the tuner if enough people ask for it, but expect it to cost $600-1,000 more.

Also, I think this is a sign those of us with MCU1 HW2.5 will start getting our upgrades soon, whether or not we opt in to the MCU2 upgrade. Looks like a business move to offset some of the cost to switch out to the FSD computer

Reactions: Tdreamer
It'll be interesting to see what MCU1+FSD shows vs MCU2+FSD, which according to the Infotainment Upgrade page shows "Enhanced Driving Visualization for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability Computer." The current "Full Self-Driving Visualization preview" (and cones) require FSD computer with some saying that HW2.5 doesn't have capacity to draw these additional visualizations, so is it that the FSD computer (and not MCU2 nor HW2) is doing the 3D drawing? From verygreen's data extraction, clearly FSD computer isn't required to detect traffic lights, signs, etc.; so why does Tesla limit drawing to the newer hardware?

I suppose practically, Tesla might not want to write additional code to support FSD computer drawing with MCU1. Similar to how practically Tesla doesn't want to retrofit antennas to support AM/FM.