Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade and X-Care Auto Concession

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured I'll pass on this for interested fellow owners.

I just got off the phone with X-Care auto about getting extended warranty for MCU1 2017 Model S. I asked them if they had any concession for owners like myself who plan on paying out of pocket to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 since eMMC failure on the older MCU is a significant risk item for warranty purposes.

They discussed it and offered an extra 25k miles of warranty coverage for free if you show documentation that you have the MCU2 upgrade installed.

I asked and confirmed that it is available to all Tesla owners with MCU2 upgrade.

Obviously a cash premium discount would be better but I'll still take the free 25k mile extended warranty on top of purchased warranty.

What I think would be more interesting is if you have a MCU1 covered by @X-Care EV and the MCU1 fails would they allow you to pay the difference between a MCU1 repair/replacement and the MCU2 upgrade? (Which should be ~$800.) It wouldn't end up costing them anything extra, but it would reduce their risk for a re-repair of the MCU in the future. (Well maybe not since a replacement MCU should come with a 4-year warranty.)

Reactions: XCare EV
What I think would be more interesting is if you have a MCU1 covered by @X-Care EV and the MCU1 fails would they allow you to pay the difference between a MCU1 repair/replacement and the MCU2 upgrade? (Which should be ~$800.) It wouldn't end up costing them anything extra, but it would reduce their risk for a re-repair of the MCU in the future. (Well maybe not since a replacement MCU should come with a 4-year warranty.)

Mike, That's a good question and a good idea. But so far, - so far - that's not the routine for Tesla. No one yet has a way to leverage Tesla SC to go ahead and perform the MCU1 failed to MCU2 upgrade. Maybe later?

While a great idea, in practice it opens the door to fraud which would be hard to catch. When your warranty covers only a replacement, you have no incentive to break your current product, just to get a refurb. If however you can get a very discounted upgrade (68% off), there is motivation to break the original product to collect. Yes it is unethical, but some people do it, and such people are often the reason why we can't have nice things.

So I had a rather unique situation where my mcu1 failed just as tesla announced backwards compatibility and upgrade potential for my model, 2015 MS 70D, to MCU2. I called X Care and explained that I would like to upgrade and asked if they would cover at least the cost of the original mcu replacement. They actually ended up covering the entire cost of the upgrade, less the deductible of course. So far my entire experience with XCare has been top notch. Would 100% recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
XCare now contributes towards an upgrade if the MCU1 unit fails. If the eMMc card fails, Tesla is still repairing those, but if the unit itself dies we'll contribute what would have cost to replace with MCU1 and the member can pay the difference. Cheers!

Figured I'll pass on this for interested fellow owners.

I just got off the phone with X-Care auto about getting extended warranty for MCU1 2017 Model S. I asked them if they had any concession for owners like myself who plan on paying out of pocket to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 since eMMC failure on the older MCU is a significant risk item for warranty purposes.

They discussed it and offered an extra 25k miles of warranty coverage for free if you show documentation that you have the MCU2 upgrade installed.

I asked and confirmed that it is available to all Tesla owners with MCU2 upgrade.

Obviously a cash premium discount would be better but I'll still take the free 25k mile extended warranty on top of purchased war

As an update, now that Tesla is covering eMMc cards in MCU1, we will contribute towards an upgrade to MCU2 when the original unit dies. If it is simply an upgrade for functionality/streaming/faster processing, we will warrantee the new unit as though it were original equipment, but do not add miles/years to terms for this upgrade or contribute toward the upgrade.

As an update, now that Tesla is covering eMMc cards in MCU1, we will contribute towards an upgrade to MCU2 when the original unit dies.
What about broken functionality? For example, my HW3/MCU1 vehicle records broken dashcam video while in motion, rendering the feature almost useless. This can only be solved by upgrading to MCU2. The MCU also reboots frequently, even after daughterboard replacement, and drops BT when switching from LTE to Wifi. I could care less about added features when all I want is for my existing features to work properly. I'd happily purchase X-Care if this would be covered.