Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade Audio EQ Balancing - Coming From MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can second that about the sound quality declining. My 14 Model S UHFS was 10 times better than my 17 MCU1 model S and now that I have MCU2 it just sucks.

15 + 2x 17's all on MCU1 for me plus various loaners - and I would just call it a lottery.

The first '17 did have a speaker wired wrong phase though, so I think it is more of a case of ultra cheap parts and sloppy manufacturing producing variable results that Tesla try to overcome with software with mixed success.

• Informative
Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
15 + 2x 17's all on MCU1 for me plus various loaners - and I would just call it a lottery.

The first '17 did have a speaker wired wrong phase though, so I think it is more of a case of ultra cheap parts and sloppy manufacturing producing variable results that Tesla try to overcome with software with mixed success.

Yeah, when I was getting my system installed, my installer noticed one of the mids in the dash wasn't even plugged in, the cable was on the floor. Must have been made on a Friday at 6pm.

I think you guys are right, that depending on the year, month, and how well the standard sound system was originally wired probably accounts for this:
"This is really odd because it is happening to cars with standard sound system randomly both with MCU1 or MCU2 upgrade. Most people with premium sound system said the MCU2 upgrade made it sound better. And half the people with standard sound MCU1 or 2 say that the 2 rear door speakers lost all bass and 1/2 the volume, whereas others say it sounds properly with bass and full volume faded to the back, and others say they never had bass and full volume in the back to begin with. "
I might no more next week as they are going to look at my car, but there is no way this is normal. Bass should be coming from the rear of the car, not from the two tiny front pillar speakers, front center speaker, and front doors. Bass in standard systems always comes from the rear, or at least the rear is equal to the front in bass and volume. It is almost like the speakers are wired backwards. And I can't attest to everyone's situation, but before the upgrade to MCU2, I absolutely had twice the volume and bass coming thru my rear 2 door speakers and the appropriate (less) amount of bass coming from my front center and pillar speakers. Maybe one of my cables are on the floor and not even plugged in for bass/volume to rear? There really is no way to explain how weird and low volume it sounds now other than if you were sitting in the middle of a 5.1 surround sound system with four identical speakers around you, and a sub woofer BEHIND you, and even when faded all the way to the back, the sub woofer never came on and the two speakers behind you were 1/2 the volume instead of double the volume. Then when you fade it to the front all of a sudden your sub turns on (remember that was behind you?) and you get full volume and distorted bass out of the front speakers. It's just weird, the 2 rear door speakers really don't do anything anymore, I mean 1/2 the volume of all the other speakers and no bass makes them just about disconnected. Why even have them? Why even have a balance fader if nothing in the rear of the car works? And honestly I have never been in a car with the bass woofer or sub woofer in the front dash or pillars. Having a sub right in your face makes no sense at all, it should be behind you always. SMH

Last edited:
I'm certainly no audiophile but this his how my MCU1, non-premium sound was configured when I took delivery in 2017. I've never changed these settings. I upgraded to MCU2 this past week and my profile carried over with these same settings and things sound about the same to me. Again, I'm no audiophile and I listen mostly to classical music with occasional ventures to top 40 because that's what my kids like.

upload_2020-8-30_10-11-12.png

@hulk2k17 , if you put the balance all the way to the rear, do your 2 rear door speakers sound loud and have thumping bass like the front? Or do they have no bass and about 1/2 the volume. Taking a poll here, anyone with standard audio system please post their situation for 2 rear door speakers.

Reactions: Cheburashka
@hulk2k17 , if you put the balance all the way to the rear, do your 2 rear door speakers sound loud and have thumping bass like the front? Or do they have no bass and about 1/2 the volume. Taking a poll here, anyone with standard audio system please post their situation for 2 rear door speakers.

It's the latter: "Or do they have no bass and about 1/2 the volume"

So this leads me to believe it's got to be a software problem for the balance and frequencies of the rear speakers. I mean they couldn't have installed/wired half of the MCU1's and MCU2's wrong, could they?

It would seem that this is a software issue or maybe feature? IIRC, the rear speakers are driven off the MCU in both standard and premium audio.

I don't think it can be a wiring thing - both rear speakers are on separate channels that are wired directly to the MCU.

I have a sub/amp ready to go into the trunk with separate control, and I'm also considering adding a separate amp for the rear door speakers.

model-s-rear-speaker-wiring.png

Obviously I'd love for Tesla to fix this but I'm not keeping my hopes up. I have no idea why or how the audio systems differ between the years.

I sent my car to the SC to have the audio checked out. As I thought they could not find anything and said it sounded fine to them and would not go any further. I did listen to another MCU1 with a premium system and the audio sounded crappy also which makes me believe that a recent software update has changed the way the system sounds and they changed the crossovers settings for the front and rear door speakers. I swear the front door speaker used to have more range and not just low bass notes. I am curious to have CraigE1965 chime in about what info he has that Tesla is aware and looking into it.
The EQ can be tuned to get a ok sounding system but by doing this I lost about 25% volume because of most EQ settings have to be in the negative range. I used to listen at 6-7 now with the new EQ settings I need to be around 9-10 to get the system cranking and it still is not as crisp as it used to be. Fingers crossed this is a software fix?

Reactions: KArnold
Guys, there is nothing more for me to explain. A service center had my car for a week, checked it out and acknowledged that the rear door speakers were not putting out proper sound. They said the same thing was found on another vehicle they tested. They gave my car back with no changes and said that they will contact me when Tesla engineers have a resolution. They are hoping it will be an OTA software fix, or can be done by mobile techs and not have to bring the car back in. But they have no idea and will give no time frame for repair. Now my question is what do I do now if they don't have a fix soon? Ask for my money back? Ask for my MCU1 back? Ask for a partial discount now that I have a completely crappy sound system? I didn't pay $2500 to have a defective sound system while my car is in warranty and could have had a free MCU1 replacement. But they told me with HW3.0 a new MCU1 would still basically not work (slow, voice commands not work, browser not work, ect.), so I paid for the "Upgrade" Any ideas?