Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know how some of you feel. I miss AP2 by a few months. I got my MCU2 upgrade scheduled. Just want to know how many people are getting the radio retrofit. 690 seems steep for FM radio.
...and SXM. I won't get it done for FM, but I listen to SXM about 50% of my driving time.
I've had the EMMC done (one of the early ones, in May), but it's still a bit buggy. The new UMC-2 and radio update - maybe.

Good thing the emmc isn’t designed to fail then.
“Given Tesla’s projects of MCU repairs, even MY 2018 subject vehicles will experience 100% failure of the MCU”

“the eMMC NAND flash memory device would become fully consumed and no longer be operational, leading to a failure of the media control unit”

“Tesla provided confirmation that all units will inevitably fail given the memory device’s finite storage capacity”

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf

With the MCU2 upgrade get you sirius in Canada?
Not with the standard upgrade.

This is the document outlines the MCU upgrade in Canada: Infotainment Upgrade

This is in the body of this document:
Is there any way to keep access to AM, FM and Sirius XM radio?
Yes. Tesla offers an additional Radio Upgrade, including the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas, that allows customers to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radio. It is not possible to retain access to AM radio.

It's $500 $US in the USA, not sure about the $CDN price

“Given Tesla’s projects of MCU repairs, even MY 2018 subject vehicles will experience 100% failure of the MCU”

“the eMMC NAND flash memory device would become fully consumed and no longer be operational, leading to a failure of the media control unit”

“Tesla provided confirmation that all units will inevitably fail given the memory device’s finite storage capacity”

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf
None of which says it was DESIGNED to fail. This likely wasn’t an issue during the design stage, and only came out after years on the road.

None of which says it was DESIGNED to fail. This likely wasn’t an issue during the design stage, and only came out after years on the road.
An argument so implausible that Tesla themselves don’t make it.

“The main instrument panel (call the media control unit or “MCU”) eventually fails in all older Teslas (pre 2018) due to a defect in the design of MCU and overuse by excessive writing of data to the memory with firmware updates as well as logging for tesla’s own purposes.”

Last edited:

Honestly, it's simply incompetent. Speaking as an EE who has designed many systems that incorporate FLASH and EEPROM memory, it is well-known that these devices have a maximum number of write cycles before they fail. It's basic physics in the way they work. So they should have easily anticipated the problem and taken action to mitigate it at design time.

One of the potential pitfalls of developing large embedded systems is that the electronics design engineers probably knew about the limitation, but the firmware engineers may well not have. Not an excuse by any means... but an explanation.

Honestly, it's simply incompetent. Speaking as an EE who has designed many systems that incorporate FLASH and EEPROM memory, it is well-known that these devices have a maximum number of write cycles before they fail. It's basic physics in the way they work. So they should have easily anticipated the problem and taken action to mitigate it at design time.
As a technologist in a repair sector, if that were the case, I’d have a LOT less work.

I got the recall email this morning. Especially happy to see Tesla is reimbursing the people who paid for the work. Whether by choice or not, I am glad they did the right thing.
Pretty sure it’s a voluntary recall, so still by choice rather than by court order.

Gonna keep an eye out come March to see if part of my MCU2 upgrade might be covered. Thankfully I have correspondence with my local Ranger to show the upgrade was a future-proofing step against gradual MCU degradation.

I wonder if there will be any consideration for any of us who had the eMMC chip replaced by a third party. I can see the following possible scenarios:
1. Vehicle modified, therefore you are out of luck.
2. Vehicle modified but Tesla will recognize the "repair" and will do the recall but no compensation.
3. Vehicle modified but Tesla will recognize the "repair" and will do the recall with equivalent compensation.
4. Vehicle modified but Tesla will recognize the "repair" and will do the recall with full compensation.

The best likely one I assume might be scenario 2.

I wonder if there will be any consideration for any of us who had the eMMC chip replaced by a third party. I can see the following possible scenarios:
1. Vehicle modified, therefore you are out of luck.
2. Vehicle modified but Tesla will recognize the "repair" and will do the recall but no compensation.
3. Vehicle modified but Tesla will recognize the "repair" and will do the recall with equivalent compensation.
4. Vehicle modified but Tesla will recognize the "repair" and will do the recall with full compensation.

The best likely one I assume might be scenario 2.

My experience with Tesla tells me that either 1 or 2 is your most likley outcome.

Reactions: Vawlkus and mrElbe
Got the upgrade done this week. Improvements are substantial, more than I’d expected. The UI is very much more responsive - there’s no long pause after selecting something, wondering if the touch has registered or not.

Some improvements I did not anticipate: voice commands work. Before, if I tried to use the voice commands, it would only work about 1 time in 10. Most times it would just spin away as if I hadn’t said anything and then go back to my power meter display. Now, it responds more or less immediately. Tesla can expect many more bug reports from me now o_O

According to my wife, the clarity of Bluetooth calls has improved substantially, and even on my end the audio is much clearer. Given that (I presume) the microphone hardware and placement didn’t change, it seems the audio processing is much improved.

The cell reception (as judged by the bars on the display) seems better but I can’t say that with any certainty. I will say that streaming audio starts playing much more quickly even with just one bar showing (as is always the case in our neighbourhood).

I think the rest are all software improvements and are already known. I like that my rear camera is now recorded in Sentry mode. The web browser is actually usable, though there is an annoyingly long load time when I first pull it up.

The screen replacement is a nice bonus. I didn’t realize how washed out the old one was. No more yellow ring but I presume that may well come back as this screen ages.

The appointment took 6 hours - in at 9, out at 3pm.

I couldn’t justify the upgrade at $3500, but at $2K I think it was worth it.