Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade downsides?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the instrument panel screen on my 2014 S85 is bubbling, I’m planning to (finally!) go ahead with the MCU2 upgrade. I realize that I will lose FM radio but is there any other functionality that will be affected?
I seem to remember that, a few years ago, there was some issue with the backup camera (too dark in low light). Was that ever fixed?
Thanks for any insight.
— Mike

Reactions: JAlbury825
I just upgraded my 2014 Model S 60 to MCU2 (after "kicking the can down the road" for over a year). I'm very happy I did it because now have LTE network access again.

I do miss FM radio access (additional $500 for the FM receiver upgrade), but I don't listen to the radio as much now as I used to years ago. My Sirius XM is the only thing that doesn't seem to be working anymore; even though my favorite stations are appearing, along with my radio ID. I may ask Tesla Service if there's anything I need to do.

Everything else about MCU2 I LOVE! It's so much more responsive, no more leaking goo from the dashboard cluster, you can add way points to destinations through Navigation, and my Logitech XBox game controller works with all the new games it has. "Sky Force Reloaded" is my son and my favorite. :)

They've also updated the interface a bit, which takes getting used to, but that comes with the territory.

You won't regret the upgrade.

Reactions: SO16 and mberrow
Upvote 0
I just upgraded my 2014 Model S 60 to MCU2 (after "kicking the can down the road" for over a year). I'm very happy I did it because now have LTE network access again.

I do miss FM radio access (additional $500 for the FM receiver upgrade), but I don't listen to the radio as much now as I used to years ago. My Sirius XM is the only thing that doesn't seem to be working anymore; even though my favorite stations are appearing, along with my radio ID. I may ask Tesla Service if there's anything I need to do.

Everything else about MCU2 I LOVE! It's so much more responsive, no more leaking goo from the dashboard cluster, you can add way points to destinations through Navigation, and my Logitech XBox game controller works with all the new games it has. "Sky Force Reloaded" is my son and my favorite. :)

They've also updated the interface a bit, which takes getting used to, but that comes with the territory.

You won't regret the upgrade.
Did your backup camera darken?

Upvote 0
They fixed the dark backup camera a long time ago, I'd say right before my MCU 2 upgrade in March of 2021. It like maybe 5% darker than MCU1 but it really wouldn't be noticeable if it wasn't so bad at first.

Some people reported the audio doesn't sound as good but I don't notice it.

There are easily a dozen upsides to getting it done so I highly recommend getting it done but I would say the only bad thing is that the car doesn't sleep properly so the idle draw on the battery is a TINY bit more. Tesla Model S 2013 MCU2 PROBLEM

Edit: Here is another thread asking a similar question to yours: Pros and Cons of MCU 2 Upgrade?

TL: DR Do the upgrade you won't regret it!

Last edited:
Reactions: mberrow
Upvote 0
They fixed the dark backup camera a long time ago, I'd say right before my MCU 2 upgrade in March of 2021. It like maybe 5% darker than MCU1 but it really wouldn't be noticeable if it wasn't so bad at first.

Some people reported the audio doesn't sound as good but I don't notice it.

There are easily a dozen upsides to getting it done so I highly recommend getting it done but I would say the only bad thing is that the car doesn't sleep properly so the idle draw on the battery is a TINY bit more. Tesla Model S 2013 MCU2 PROBLEM

Edit: Here is another thread asking a similar question to yours: Pros and Cons of MCU 2 Upgrade?

TL: DR Do the upgrade you won't regret it!
Thanks much!
I will do the upgrade at some point. I bought used from a dealership that took it as a trade. Only had her for about 6 months.
The instrument cluster was bubbling when I bought it. Got them to drop the price a bit because of it. Then I just replaced it myself, pocketed the savings. So I'm good for a bit. But it's definitely on my to-do list down the road.
I'm under battery/drive unit warranty until Sept, so I'm trying to save up a bit just in case something goes wrong out-of-warranty.

Upvote 0
Did the upgrade for my 2017 MS.

DEFINITELY worth it. I did pay the 500 for the FM. Works well. I lost XM radio but never used it anyway. I don’t have AM.

Only issue is that when it’s really hot in the car, the backup camera flickers quite a bit. But if I pre cool it, it’s fine. I don’t think it’s the fault of a MCU upgrade. Perhaps just a bad connection? Thought about having service take a look but I don’t want them to tear apart my dash again.

I was one of the first in my area to get it done. They originally forgot to hookup the USB and hazard/glovebox buttons. But they came to my house to fix. Just be sure to test those things when done.

Upvote 0
I lost XM radio but never used it anyway.

I know you said you never used it anyway, but your XM radio should still work after the MCU upgrade.

I had mine done on a 2017 Model S, and I still have XM on my vehicle (it stutters and refuses to save favorites), but it works...

There are 2 different part numbers for the radio tuner for North America, one with satellite radio capabilities and one without. Either the Service Center installed the one without the satellite radio capabilities or they installed the correct one, but forgot to correctly provision your car's gateway.config file.

Anyway, to the OP... XM radio must remain active if your Tesla had it before the Infotainment Upgrade. You can even read about it in Tesla's own FAQ's about the subject:

Screenshot_20230519-081938_Pixel Launcher.jpg

Upvote 0
I know you said you never used it anyway, but your XM radio should still work after the MCU upgrade.

I had mine done on a 2017 Model S, and I still have XM on my vehicle (it stutters and refuses to save favorites), but it works...

There are 2 different part numbers for the radio tuner for North America, one with satellite radio capabilities and one without. Either the Service Center installed the one without the satellite radio capabilities or they installed the correct one, but forgot to correctly provision your car's gateway.config file.

Anyway, to the OP... XM radio must remain active if your Tesla had it before the Infotainment Upgrade. You can even read about it in Tesla's own FAQ's about the subject:

View attachment 939179
Interesting. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I got the MCU 2 upgrade when the camera darken issue was still a problem. I thought they had fixed it all the way back to what it was with MCU 1, until I got a loaner with an MCU 1 from Tesla during service. The backup camera definitely was brighter in that unit then in mine. I have a long driveway that I have to back down, so it's a big deal for me. Still, I was having no problems with the MCU 2 and really don't now either. I just have to ride the brake slightly so that it's bright enough at night! Should probably just add some lights around the driveway.

Upvote 0
I just had my 2013 Model S upgraded. The incentive was that my instrument cluster went dark and the MCU was slow and poorly responsive.

I think it’s a fantastic upgrade.

However, I’ve encountered a problem. It seems as though voice activation no longer works. Once I hear the beep, I get an error: “Connection error. Try again.”

I’m not sure what this entails, but I have LTE reception (I can stream audio, movies, and use maps). My Bluetooth is connected to my phone (I can make calls using the dial pad). I receive notification of text messages.

I reset using the two scroll wheels. That didn’t work.

Any ideas?

Reactions: JAlbury825
Upvote 0