Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade for Free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never heard of it as of yet.

I don't think they do it because of 'laggy'-ness. I bet they'd do a factory reset to clear everything out (stats, previous routes, etc) way before offering a free upgrade.

Many MCU1 users with purchased FSD were likely the majority hoping Tesla would give in and give them MCU2. Supposedly FSD is available for MCU1 vehicles (OTAs have been suggested) but haven't heard of any actual FSD drives on MCU1 cars.

It's possible, but who knows what the lawyer cost vs paying outta pocket.

"Jordan also made a separate claim against Tesla over lost functionality in his other Tesla vehicle that was equipped with the original MCU1 media unit. Even though it was still under warranty, Tesla said it couldn’t fix the issue and instead recommended a paid upgrade to the new generation of media computers (MCU 2).

The judge found that this was a breach of warranty and ordered Tesla to pay Jordan $1,657.50 – the cost of upgrading to the new computer. He even ordered a $500 award to compensate for the loss of AM radio since Tesla’s solution of upgrading to the new computer instead of restoring the functions of the original computer resulted in the loss of AM radio, which is not available in the MCU 2."

It's possible, but who knows what the lawyer cost vs paying outta pocket.

"Jordan also made a separate claim against Tesla over lost functionality in his other Tesla vehicle that was equipped with the original MCU1 media unit. Even though it was still under warranty, Tesla said it couldn’t fix the issue and instead recommended a paid upgrade to the new generation of media computers (MCU 2).

The judge found that this was a breach of warranty and ordered Tesla to pay Jordan $1,657.50 – the cost of upgrading to the new computer. He even ordered a $500 award to compensate for the loss of AM radio since Tesla’s solution of upgrading to the new computer instead of restoring the functions of the original computer resulted in the loss of AM radio, which is not available in the MCU 2."

No lawyer cost in small claims.

Reactions: m5james
I got mine for free.

The original MCU1 is crappy, seems strange but mine was even more problematic. I file for a lemon after many isues got unresolved, they countered back with a buy back (different than buy lemon), and at the same time the MCu2 became available. I asked them to swap the MCU and call it good hoping it will fix my issues.

It did. Perfect car since then.
Issues were intermittent: voice control not working, odometer not working. Seems unrelated, but I know that after the MCU was wapped, it worked flawslessly since then (2 years ago)

I got mine for free.

The original MCU1 is crappy, seems strange but mine was even more problematic. I file for a lemon after many isues got unresolved, they countered back with a buy back (different than buy lemon), and at the same time the MCu2 became available. I asked them to swap the MCU and call it good hoping it will fix my issues.

Issues were intermittent: voice control not working, odometer not working. Seems unrelated, but I know that after the MCU was wapped, it worked flawslessly since then (2 years ago)
Without including details like the year of your car, mileage and/or still under warranty, etc doesn't tell the full story and will mislead people into thinking that anyone, any mileage can just walk in and get this.

I got mine for free.

Bump