Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade from MCU1 using mobile service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After setting for a MCU2 upgrade, I noticed Tesla gave me a mobile service for the upgrade. Is that even possible? I am about to get serviced in a few days and there has not been any communication on their part to me about the cost, what the timeline is and such. I have sent them multiple messages via the app and still nothing.

Has anyone gotten their MCU1 ---> MCU2 upgrade done via mobile service? If so how long did it take?

I originally schedule the appointment for a MCU2 upgrade through the Tesla App which defaulted to the mobile service appointment. A few days later I received an email and call from my local Tesla Service Center saying that they appointment was been rescheduled to the Service Center at a later date and that mobile service would not be able to the job. My appt is for next Wednesday and hoping it will take no longer than 48hrs.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I originally schedule the appointment for a MCU2 upgrade through the Tesla App which defaulted to the mobile service appointment. A few days later I received an email and call from my local Tesla Service Center saying that they appointment was been rescheduled to the Service Center at a later date and that mobile service would not be able to the job. My appt is for next Wednesday and hoping it will take no longer than 48hrs.
Thanks for the update. Mine might be the same. I did push back the original appointment as far back as possible when I originally schedule the upgrade. I was hoping tesla was going to get parts and logistics in line because I gave them plenty of time. I guess it might not be thr case.

I booked my MCU2 upgrade through the app and it gave me a mobile service appointment. A couple of hours later I got a call from my Tesla Service Center in Ottawa stating that was a mistake and that it needs to be done at the service center, as the job is fairly involved. It was booked for a few days later and was completed the same day. No problems. I’m very happy with the upgrade.

After setting for a MCU2 upgrade, I noticed Tesla gave me a mobile service for the upgrade. Is that even possible? I am about to get serviced in a few days and there has not been any communication on their part to me about the cost, what the timeline is and such. I have sent them multiple messages via the app and still nothing.

Has anyone gotten their MCU1 ---> MCU2 upgrade done via mobile service? If so how long did it take?
I think it’s an auto default. I had the same result when I upgraded. My MCU 2 upgrade was completed at the SC. Be sure to ask for a loaner because it can take a few days. Depending on your current MCU it will either be $2,000 or $1,500. Mine was $1,500. After I confirmed the appointment, it was cancelled on the app because they were waiting for parts they needed. I didn’t hear from the SC for several weeks. I reached out and was told I was on the schedule and they had not forgotten about me. Then I received a message confirming my new appointment. Hope this helps.

As others have said, I booked my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade in early December, but within just a couple days contacted and indicated must be done at service center. My understanding for that is they need to reload a lot of firmware, pull setting back down from cloud, and likely want (need?) car connected to service wifi to accomplish this.

As for how long it takes, it actually only takes 2-3 hours. Comment from my service advisor is most of that time is actually for reloading software/downloading settings from cloud, etc. Are some number of cases where that may not work well first time and take a little longer (my service advisor indicated maybe 1 in 10?). In my case is was in and out in 3 hours. Only thing I needed to reset was reprogramming my homelink. It showed my devices were still there, but had to go through the reprogramming with remote next day to get them to work.

Those that are experiencing much longer, or multiple days, to get this repeated, then the issue is that your service center is likely scheduling more appointments than they have labor/space to support, so you're car is sitting waiting in the queue for most of that time.

Reactions: dfndr90