Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that’s purely speculative and there is no evidence of any difference between AP2.5 and AP3 for Enhanced AP so far...

The fact is, Tesla pushes its AP3 hardware upgrades for free everywhere. There is a reason for this which is not related to a car feature or performance, as it wouldn’t be free... They may use it for training the FSD neural networks. But that purely speculative from my side.
I don’t have an AP3 car to test but this from i1tesla a year ago:

I’d imagine the differences will be bigger over time as they move more of the code base from c to the NN.

I don’t have an AP3 car to test but this from i1tesla a year ago:

I’d imagine the differences will be bigger over time as they move more of the code base from c to the NN.

This whole test is stupid! I was expecting proper autopilot behavior comparison, but the only thing they compare is user interface related, ie MCU.
The nag time is a simple timer set for legal reasons, and has nothing to do with hardware performance. Really nothing interesting there.

Any news when MCU2 upgrade is coming to pre-AP cars in Europe?

MCU1 just died last week. What's more, I sent my Tegra card for eMMC change and Finnish Post seems to have lost the parcel.. :mad:

If MCU2 was available now I'd probably go for it.

Hi!

Tesla Service Centre in Birmingham, United Kingdom has just confirmed with me my appointment for an MCU upgrade — please see enclosed screenshot.

///

Hi xxx, MCU upgrade can be purchased for £2400 inc VAT. However once fitted the radio turner will need upgrading which is an additional cost, we don't yet have the cost for this. You can have the MCU upgrade and use the internet radio, if you do not want the radio tuner upgrade, which is approx £500, but cannot currently confirm this. Thank you, Tesla Service Birmingham

Attachments

• DBFB0F48-75AD-484C-B964-AA8B578FB268.jpeg
    DBFB0F48-75AD-484C-B964-AA8B578FB268.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 82
Just to be sure (I may have a overlooked this in one of your earlier postings), does this relate to an AP1 car?

No, this was an AP2.5

I'm super happy with the upgrade, by the way. Now the car really feels finished and working as it should:
  • Everything, especially keyboard is responsive
  • Voice commands mostly work
  • Planning a long trip using nav takes seconds instead of minutes
  • Sentry works and is now reliable (onboard player is a plus)
  • Web browser works (I mostly use it for driving aids : teslawinds, abrp)
  • Searching for music is fast
  • Scrolling nav map is fast
In short : I was not looking for new features such as games, but having the actual (and advertised...) features just working properly. Now they do, the only drawback was having to pay for it...

Reactions: gangzoom
No, this was an AP2.5

I'm super happy with the upgrade, by the way. Now the car really feels finished and working as it should:
  • Everything, especially keyboard is responsive
  • Voice commands mostly work
  • Planning a long trip using nav takes seconds instead of minutes
  • Sentry works and is now reliable (onboard player is a plus)
  • Web browser works (I mostly use it for driving aids : teslawinds, abrp)
  • Searching for music is fast
  • Scrolling nav map is fast
In short : I was not looking for new features such as games, but having the actual (and advertised...) features just working properly. Now they do, the only drawback was having to pay for it...

Good to hear. Thanks for quick response. Enjoy;)