Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade includes converting manual to power liftgate??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the MCU2 upgrade includes converting manual to power liftgate as well? I saw "Power Lift Gate Control Module", "Power Liftgate Chime" and "Jumper harness for MCU Upgrade Tegra+AP1.0 with manual liftgate" on my service estimate.

I scheduled an appointment to upgrade to MCU2 for my 2016 Tesla MS with manual liftgate for an initial estimate of $1750. When tesla started work they realized that software will not pass testing without power liftgate, they quoted $4.5k; I declined. In 30 mins, they came back with a quote of $2.5k for infotainment upgrade and trunk retrofit. I accepted it. When I got my car, there was no automatic liftgate . Is that normal? Do they just install the module without the struts?? I wish they were clear when they provide an estimate

IMG_5724.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Perhaps they managed to get the software to pass with installation of the power module and required chime unit, and they have configured the system not operational so if you decide to DIY that power liftgate you will not get it working. Though, you can try. Tesla is now reluctant to activate options that previously was possible to retrofit.