Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade install delayed for months, Parts backordered or what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been waiting several months for MCU2 upgrade, my appointment has been cancelled 3 times because Tesla said parts are not available.
Anyone had an upgrade recently done in So. Cal area? Wonder if I can try another SC, of course I would have to drive to one to find out as there is no way to get a hold of anyone on the phone unless they call you.

Maybe it's been to long since I used the Tesla app to schedule an appointment (to fix a broken driver's door handle), but I was able to select a service center to have my work done. At least it used to be an option, not sure about things in todays world. If you still can select the SC you prefer, it would save you driving around to actually talk to them.

Been waiting several months for MCU2 upgrade, my appointment has been cancelled 3 times because Tesla said parts are not available.
Anyone had an upgrade recently done in So. Cal area? Wonder if I can try another SC, of course I would have to drive to one to find out as there is no way to get a hold of anyone on the phone unless they call you.
I'm in the exact same situation, they keep kicking the can down the road. My 1st appointment was April 4th,I can't believe a company as big as tesla can't provide an exact ETA. I am wondering if I can get one programmed if I order it from ebay. I believe that they said they upgrade both screens So I would think that may be a concern, but the invoice doesn't mention which parts will be upgraded. Does anyone have the full list? My car has upgraded eMMC and it still crashes every few days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-093638_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-093638_Tesla.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_20220627-093646_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-093646_Tesla.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 101
My MCU started leaking right after they did the eMMC recall in April, of course 2 weeks after my warranty expired. I have since been waiting on my MCU2 part order since then. They told me ETA sometime in August. In the mean time, my MCU continue to leak all over.

I service rep called yesterday and said he spoke with the parts distributor manager, he says they should have the parts by mid July and the build dates for the parts will be very recent, he said they had to build the parts. I was told I am one of the 1st people that will get my upgrade. He mentioned they receive it as an entire kit, 2 screens, MCU Brain with latest LTE Data modem (I already have LTE) ans they dont ship incomplete kits. Also my screen just got a bubble at the top about 1 inch. Hopefully he's is telling the truth and we will all get our kits soon.

Reactions: 850EX and dds28
I service rep called yesterday and said he spoke with the parts distributor manager, he says they should have the parts by mid July and the build dates for the parts will be very recent, he said they had to build the parts. I was told I am one of the 1st people that will get my upgrade. He mentioned they receive it as an entire kit, 2 screens, MCU Brain with latest LTE Data modem (I already have LTE) ans they dont ship incomplete kits. Also my screen just got a bubble at the top about 1 inch. Hopefully he's is telling the truth and we will all get our kits soon.

In the same boat, ordered May 1st with multiple appointment delays. I'm told one part is missing. I not sure if they are shipped as kits.

When the service rep said "they had to build the parts" I suppose he meant they had none in inventory and a new batch was manufactured and shipped?

My hope is that they are not cutting corners due to the chip shortage situation and not using inferior quality parts as replacement.

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
Congratulations, looks like the wait is nearing the end, perhaps my Tesla SC was telling the truth...

🐐 🐐

Do you think the SC’s deliberately lie to you?? Really!?

They are giving their best information they have from their team…not like they are going out of their way to screw you. Historically Tesla has struggled with supply chain/parts delivery. Akin to their body panel fitment; it’s part of owning the vehicle.

Semper Gumby

My MCU upgrade is now completed. Very happy over all, way faster at everything, it feels like a new car..

Only one issue...
Theater apps are missing. The page is blank...

I tried the Monty python fixes and changed the language... still no luck.

Anyone have other ideas?

EDIT:

I did a factory reset and that fixed it, sucks I had ro redo everything. I am thing them restoring my MCU 1 settings after updating cause the glitch.

Last edited:
Finally got my MCU2 upgrade yesterday after waiting a few months.
Grandfathered in the old price and avoided the $250 increase since I had ordered the upgrade months ago.

I was surprised all my settings were still there like homelink and seat position profile.

One issue is my Voice Command does not work. Displays (connection error, try again every time I tap it. Anyone else had this issue.

Also is the instrument cluster suppose to blackout when you go Youtube or Netflix.....,
How do you check on your charging status if at the supercharging station without exiting the one of these theater features?

Yes it should blackout to create a theater like experience. I had to factory reset to get my theater apps. Everything works after the reset, BUT.... I lost all the settings they restored after the update. Even little things like scrolling volume with the left thumb wheel are so much improved.
My voice activation commands are immediate. Totally worth the cost. Feels like a new car.

Those of you who have received your MCU2, when was your original appointment date? I created the appointment on April 12, it's been moved several times. I'm hoping to have it fixed soon but it just keeps getting moved. no ETA on parts from the service center yet.

Meanwhile my car has a dead center screen...