Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade install delayed for months, Parts backordered or what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you who have received your MCU2, when was your original appointment date? I created the appointment on April 12, it's been moved several times. I'm hoping to have it fixed soon but it just keeps getting moved. no ETA on parts from the service center yet.

Meanwhile my car has a dead center screen...
Mine starter late March, have your SC call the parts distributor and get a target date.

Those of you who have received your MCU2, when was your original appointment date? I created the appointment on April 12, it's been moved several times. I'm hoping to have it fixed soon but it just keeps getting moved. no ETA on parts from the service center yet.

Meanwhile my car has a dead center screen...

You are not alone. There's a nationwide part shortage for the infotainment upgrade. I placed my order in early May and they have rescheduled multiple appointments due to the back order issues. Even if they receive all the parts, let's hope are not damaged, because that would add even more delays.

They can't give an exact ETA, however they should get a ballpark target. I know it can be done because mine did it. I would think you should be close. I would be careful about changing your appointment type this late in the game as you may get moved to the back of the upgrade line. Is there a wait for the eMMC chip upgrade? I live in Texas so no HVAC is not an option. But of you cN wait it out I would. Best of luck sir!

They can't give an exact ETA, however they should get a ballpark target.

They do give you a ballpark target, but it's not based on shipping/tracking info. It's purely an optimistic guess which is the problem. When there is a nationwide backorder, that optimistic guess is just, shall we say, “optimistic”. In my case, all of the provided ETA's have been meaningless.

At 1st they were kicking the can down the road, just moving the appointment 2-3 weeks down the road saying "we are hoping they will be in by then", after 3 months I asked for a date from the parts vendor and they provided a target from the distributor.

I scheduled my infotainment update in late June for the end of July. A week or so later, I bumped up my appoint by a week (to this past Friday). Dropped it off Friday morning, picked it up Saturday morning. Never had an issue with parts being available. I'm in the San Fernando Valley north of Los Angeles.

My only issues are the blank theater app (tried language and Monty Python, neither worked so I'll do the Reset this evening) and my walk up, present handles stopped working. I'm hoping both are resolved with the Reset.

100% recommend this update for anyone that's on the fence!

OH! And my backup camera seems to not be affected. Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I know that was a problem for a long time (upgrade resulted in dark backup camera). Mine is working as expected so maybe they fixed that issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I scheduled my infotainment update in late June for the end of July. A week or so later, I bumped up my appoint by a week (to this past Friday). Dropped it off Friday morning, picked it up Saturday morning. Never had an issue with parts being available. I'm in the San Fernando Valley north of Los Angeles.

My only issues are the blank theater app (tried language and Monty Python, neither worked so I'll do the Reset this evening) and my walk up, present handles stopped working. I'm hoping both are resolved with the Reset.

100% recommend this update for anyone that's on the fence!

OH! And my backup camera seems to not be affected. Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I know that was a problem for a long time (upgrade resulted in dark backup camera). Mine is working as expected so maybe they fixed that issue.
Got mine done in Van Nuys. Autopilot wouldn’t work and they found out the firmware was never loaded to the AP computer. Make sure it works before leaving! Brought it back within hours and had to go to another SC as they wouldn’t look at it because they were “too busy”

They do give you a ballpark target, but it's not based on shipping/tracking info. It's purely an optimistic guess which is the problem. When there is a nationwide backorder, that optimistic guess is just, shall we say, “optimistic”. In my case, all of the provided ETA's have been meaningless.
I was in recently for the frunk hood latch recall and asked when my MCU2 would be in. They told me its because the factory making them is affected by the covid shutdowns in Shanghai and at the time they didn't know when it would be allowed to start back up.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I was in recently for the frunk hood latch recall and asked when my MCU2 would be in. They told me its because the factory making them is affected by the covid shutdowns in Shanghai and at the time they didn't know when it would be allowed to start back up.

Yes. There is definitely an ongoing backorder issue and not all SC's are communicating it to their customers.

Why don't you get them to fix the eMMC chip if that is causing the dead screen, or is the screen just dead and you are looking at the upgrade to fix it along with the improvements?
I have the $1500 price locked in and I’m scared that if I get the eMMC chip replacement, I’ll be quoted $2500 or whatever it is now. I’d really like the upgrade to MCU2. Also is the eMMC replacement available? It’d be even stupider if I requested that change and it was still a 6 month wait.

So, these parts are not shipped from/by Tesla?
They are built and shipped by Tesla, however, they have a distribution channel with managers and so forth. My SC adviser says they can provide target lead times as forecasted by the distribution hubs. Mine said it would be the middle of July when I checked around June 20th, they were pretty close and they arrived around the `12th of July.

Reactions: Droschke