Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade install delayed for months, Parts backordered or what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, please let us know if the factory reset resolves the issue.
I can confirm, the factory reset resolves the issues.

Issue 1: Tesla Theater Blank (would launch through voice command)
Issue 2: Auto-unlock/handle present not working, had to press FOB to activate

These issues were resolved with the factory reset, but I also spent some time going through all my settings to make sure things were reconfigured correctly. Things I noticed:

- "Passive Entry" is now "Auto-Present Handles"
- Walk away lock was deselected
- Windows/Doors open alert was off
- Lots of other small things that I'd imagine are just personal preference such as Joe Mode deselected

If you do the factory reset, plan on spending about 20 minutes combing through everything. Luckily, I have all my passwords saved in a password manager so I could log back into WiFi, Spotify, Netflix, etc. pretty quickly and confirm everything was working as normal.

Glad to hear it. The thing that sucked the most for me after the reset was finding my garage door opener remote to reprogram homelink lol. Had to buy a new one at lowes. Also, my summon via keyfob was not working until I drove as well as it appears to be region locked until you drive.

Reactions: PoBear
Glad to hear it. The thing that sucked the most for me after the reset was finding my garage door opener remote to reprogram homelink lol. Had to buy a new one at lowes. Also, my summon via keyfob was not working until I drove as well as it appears to be region locked until you drive.
I've never gotten my FOB sommon to work from day one. It always woks with my phone so I've been happy enough. Maybe I'll got test that later and see if it works now. :)

I've never gotten my FOB sommon to work from day one. It always woks with my phone so I've been happy enough. Maybe I'll got test that later and see if it works now. :)
You have to change a setting "REQUIRE CONTINUOUS PRESS" in summon setting screen. If you don't see it you must drive for a few mins after your factory reset has been completed.

I can confirm, the factory reset resolves the issues.

Issue 1: Tesla Theater Blank (would launch through voice command)
Issue 2: Auto-unlock/handle present not working, had to press FOB to activate

These issues were resolved with the factory reset, but I also spent some time going through all my settings to make sure things were reconfigured correctly. Things I noticed:

- "Passive Entry" is now "Auto-Present Handles"
- Walk away lock was deselected
- Windows/Doors open alert was off
- Lots of other small things that I'd imagine are just personal preference such as Joe Mode deselected

If you do the factory reset, plan on spending about 20 minutes combing through everything. Luckily, I have all my passwords saved in a password manager so I could log back into WiFi, Spotify, Netflix, etc. pretty quickly and confirm everything was working as normal.

Thanks for confirming. Once I get my car back, I'll definitely do a factory reset first before reconfiguration to save time. I had done a factory reset even before dropping the car at the SC.

Reactions: PoBear
Mine is delayed, again, until September. But I think that's just a placeholder appointment, not an indicator that the parts will actually arrive by then. They originally sent me an invoice with the $1750 price, but I texted back and they agreed to honor the $1500 price since that's what it was when I originally requested the upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Mine is delayed, again, until September. But I think that's just a placeholder appointment, not an indicator that the parts will actually arrive by then. They originally sent me an invoice with the $1750 price, but I texted back and they agreed to honor the $1500 price since that's what it was when I originally requested the upgrade.
Is that Canada dollars?

I assume it's without the radio upgrade.

I paid 2k with the radio upgrade and started the process in March. They never mentioned a price increase.

I scheduled my MCU2 upgrade appointment (for a Autopilot 1.0 car) 2 weeks ago. Initially I was told that the MCU2 parts were on back order and it would be a few months, but then they scheduled the appointment for this week and the car is at the service center now. This is in the Chicago area.

I have the $1500 price locked in and I’m scared that if I get the eMMC chip replacement, I’ll be quoted $2500 or whatever it is now. I’d really like the upgrade to MCU2. Also is the eMMC replacement available? It’d be even stupider if I requested that change and it was still a 6 month wait.
Just message them in the app and ask them to split the EMMC replacement into another appointment. Going 3 months without the center screen/any vehicle controls is actually ridiculous when there is a free fix available. As far as I've heard the parts for the EMMC are much more readily available.

I’m just going to wait it out. The car is drivable, I’m not in a huge rush. I just would like some time that I can expect this to be done within. Right now I have almost no information coming from the service center, only that the parts are constrained right now. That’s why these forum posts are useful, they give some sense of how long it’ll be.

I scheduled my MCU2 upgrade appointment (for a Autopilot 1.0 car) 2 weeks ago. Initially I was told that the MCU2 parts were on back order and it would be a few months, but then they scheduled the appointment for this week and the car is at the service center now. This is in the Chicago area.

Ugh, so 3 days into the service appointment I got a message saying the MCU2 parts that we ordered were an "incorrect revision". Apparently they ordered the Autopilot 3.0 version, and my car is AP 1.0. So back to an indefinite wait for me, because the parts are still "constrained".

Just message them in the app and ask them to split the EMMC replacement into another appointment. Going 3 months without the center screen/any vehicle controls is actually ridiculous when there is a free fix available. As far as I've heard the parts for the EMMC are much more readily available.
I don't blame you.
my original appointment was Feb 21, 2022 and MCU2 was replaced on June 30th.
Sounds about right. Seems to be about. 2>3 months lag. I think they building the kits/parts to order now. Before they were more readily available because they were in the new cars, but now the S and X have refreshed interiors. I'm sure the chip shortage doesn't help much.

After first scheduling my upgrade in early May, I just got my upgrade today.

I just picked up the car and somehow they've managed to break the driver's seat presence sensor? When I get in the car and close the door the screens turn off. Need to tap them or press the brake pedal to wake. A side effect is that when this happens, my phone doesn't automatically connect to Bluetooth either. Anyone else experience similar? Is this just a coincidence?

Additionally, the Tesla Theater is also not working, as I think someone else experienced earlier in the thread. Is there any way to rectify this short of a reset?

Not the experience I was hoping for after waiting 3+ months for this.