Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade possible after FSD upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Half way through the below thread (from a month ago) several people are claiming sc can’t upgrade to MCU2 if you have already installed FSD w/o MCU upgrade. Has anyone been able to do MCU2 upgrade after FSD has been done?

MCU1/AP3 - laggy response time
Not me, still waiting...
“Thank you for submitting your request to upgrade your Tesla Infotainment system. Infotainment Upgrades will be available in 30-60 days due to parts constraints. We will notify you to schedule service when parts are in stock. - Tesla service team. Reply 'STOP' to stop updates. Msg & Data rates may apply.”

Reactions: Flyguy
This is false information. If the upgrade is available for your car. You will be able to do that.
I upgraded my MCU after HW3.0 upgrade. Two separate appointments.

Half way through the below thread (from a month ago) several people are claiming sc can’t upgrade to MCU2 if you have already installed FSD w/o MCU upgrade. Has anyone been able to do MCU2 upgrade after FSD has been done?

MCU1/AP3 - laggy response time

@r0xx0r is correct. There's also been a couple of people post on TMC that they went back and got MCU2 after they passed on FSD. It was not easy. We've been referring to it as "getting out of line", and can't get back in line. But its not because the SC "can't" because of some issue other than an internal policy or they choose not to. Not because its not possible. Just wait a month or so and try again. Just fill out a work request on the app and send it.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948 and Flyguy
Ok, thanks. I’ll schedule an appointment and see how far out they push me. I’ve always had positive experiences with both Burlingame and Palo Alto sc’s in the SF Bay Area so hopefully not too far.

7F5463B4-B2E4-47CF-A3E5-A1B4574F0831.jpeg

More than 60 days now

• Informative
Reactions: uspearls and Flyguy
Yes, I got my Infotainment Upgrade done a couple of weeks ago—a month after I had previously gotten the HW3 upgrade.

Upgrading to mcu makes you feel your car like new.

MCU2
Pros:
+ Responsive: fast map loading, smooth nagivation, changing playlist without lag, responsive menus.
+ Fast navigating: you don’t need to wait like 1-2 minutes for the car to draw the route for you. For long-distance route, my MCU1 took like 5 minutes to give me the direction. Now just few seconds.
+ Side camera views: you can view your side-repeater camera with mcu2, it is helpful when you park.
+ TeslaCam is more useful, able to record the rear camera, the recording is less choppy & smooth. Also you have the Live View function to watch your replay on your car.
+ More driving visuals, I believe it would help the FSD features in the future.
Cons:
+ The rear camera is darker, and useless at night.
+ Lost FM functionality. I heard Tesla will offer the retrofit later - but you never know.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and Gt1948
Thoughts on your new mcu2
@r0xx0r's response above pretty much sums it up. I love it! It feels like a new car. Whereas, I use to dread interacting with the media player because of it's frequent freezes, lock-ups, reboots, etc, now it is a dream to use (bugs aside). The smooth and instant response of the display is so vastly better that I can't help but feel giddy using it—a sure sign of how bad it had gotten for me (I am sure I was nearing eMMC failure).

After having HW3 installed earlier in year, finally received this notification.

View attachment 593828

I read your post yesterday with a little jealousy and got the same message about an hour later! I was only on the wait list a couple of weeks so can't complain. Scheduled the upgrade for 10 days out. Can't wait. MCU1 has been horrible since I got my HW3 upgrade earlier this summer. Slow, laggy navigation, weird radio/Spotify issues, main screen rebooted while driving. My LTE signal is also very spotty and a Tesla tech ran some tests remotely and told me the card is bad. MCU2 will include a new LTE card. I'm also taking the new screen as I have the beginnings of the yellow band issue. The last two issues could have been fixed under warranty but I'm excited to jump into 2020 having read the mostly very positive reviews.

Had my Feb 2017 S90 upgraded to HW3 in June, followed by MC2 upgrade earlier this week. I had been waiting for the email invitation to upgrade the MCU that I thought would come but decided to email the local SC and they told me to request it on the app.

HW3 is nice. But upgrading to MCU2 is a much more of a change..

Almost all my settings were retained. Only things I needed to address: had to re-pair cell phone, re-link Homelink, re-set screen brightness, and re-set the audio equalizer settings (great discussion on that on another forum - search for infotainment equalizer).

Car feels brand new again. Absolutely worth the coin.

Taking mine in tomorrow for the MCU2 upgrade....got the FSD chip a few months ago. Looking forward to voice commands being more reliable....

Question..Im also FSD with MCU1. Noticed after going to FSD that voice commands often will be recognized, but provide a weird result. Example: If I say "play Joe Rogan Experience, after several seconds, the MCU shows the words for Joe Rogan experience (As if its on that channel), but the audio will be one specific rap song that will play. Every. Time.

Only way to get Joe Rogan experience to play, is to manually select.

Also..another oddity. If Im on NOA, and the audio is on anything other then TuneIn radio, and I use the voice command to select something thats is on TuneIn radio? The MCU will then often start its process of freezing/rebooting.

Reactions: Gt1948