Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade Price Increase to $2250

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduling my MCU2 upgrade on my 2016 MS w/ MCU1 & AP2 that failed based on an eMMC recall (failed exactly as the recall described).

SC is now quoting a cost of $2250 from the previous reduction price of $1500. According to the SC this was a part of price/inflation increases across the board over the last month (July 2022). Note, FM/XM module still cost additional $500 and no labor cost is charged for the upgrade.

Here’s the new quoted sku:
$2250 = INFOTAINMENT 1.00 UPGRADE FOR AP2.X VEHICLES(1679909-00-A)

FYI, historically my past upgrade on my X only cost $1500 w the sku below & doesn’t appear to be valid anymore:
$1500 = Infotainment Upgrade for 1.00 Pre-AP, AP1 or AP3.0 Vehicles(1582613-00-A)

Let’s us know if you are seeing the same increase cost. Thx!

Base cost has recently increased from $1500 to $1750 and $2250 for AP2 or 2.5 configurations. More info here. The additional $500 includes the AP computer upgraded to AP3 whether you want it or not. The website doesn't state the reason for the additional cost but that is what you will end up with after upgrading.

There was a small window between 1/2021 and 3/2021 in which the price was $1500 regardless of configuration and included the AP3 upgrade for cars with AP2 or 2.5. Tesla pricing is always a moving target.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Scheduling my MCU2 upgrade on my 2016 MS w/ MCU1 & AP2 that failed based on an eMMC recall (failed exactly as the recall described).

SC is now quoting a cost of $2250 from the previous reduction price of $1500. According to the SC this was a part of price/inflation increases across the board over the last month (July 2022). Note, FM/XM module still cost additional $500 and no labor cost is charged for the upgrade.

Here’s the new quoted sku:
$2250 = INFOTAINMENT 1.00 UPGRADE FOR AP2.X VEHICLES(1679909-00-A)

FYI, historically my past upgrade on my X only cost $1500 w the sku below & doesn’t appear to be valid anymore:
$1500 = Infotainment Upgrade for 1.00 Pre-AP, AP1 or AP3.0 Vehicles(1582613-00-A)

Let’s us know if you are seeing the same increase cost. Thx!
What I did was after I got the Mcu upgrade on my 2014, I downloaded “iHeart radio” app on my phone, searched for my local radio station and Bluetooth stream it whenever I wanna hear the radio again. I opted out that extra $500 for fm radio. App works perfect

Reactions: m5james
Base cost has recently increased from $1500 to $1750 and $2250 for AP2 or 2.5 configurations. More info here. The additional $500 includes the AP computer upgraded to AP3 whether you want it or not. The website doesn't state the reason for the additional cost but that is what you will end up with after upgrading.

There was a small window between 1/2021 and 3/2021 in which the price was $1500 regardless of configuration and included the AP3 upgrade for cars with AP2 or 2.5. Tesla pricing is always a moving target.
Based on this info, if I previously paid to upgrade my Model S's AP2 computer to AP3, shouldn't my MCU2 upgrade price only be $1250? I paid $1000 for something that's included for $500 in that upgrade at this point...

In other news, I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck getting Tesla to discount this under warranty. My SC wants to replace my MCU1 to address some black screen issues I'm having (pretty consistent backup cam startup issues, as well as a random black screen when the seat is moving into and out of Easy Entry position) and has already declined to discount the MCU2 upgrade after suggesting it instead of the MCU1 replacement.

The car is still under warranty for 2 more years, and Tesla is going to have to pay, what, $750-$1000 to replace the already outdated MCU (which, let's be honest, still probably won't work right...), when they could just give me a $750 discount and not waste their and my time/money... Plus the newer unit will get more regular updates and have a lower chance of having issues that they're still on the hook to pay to address for the next 2 years...

To make some of you feel better, I paid $2700 for the MCU2 retrofit (no FM/XM) on 2016 HW2.0, and already had AP3 (from an earlier FSD upgrade). This is before they dropped the price.

A small 10" display module on a Lexus (with a lot less functionality) costs >$4000 for the part alone. That makes the Tesla $2250 price, which includes labor and two displays, looks like a deal.

My Model S got a paid MCU2 upgrade in August last year and it's already malfunctioning. Tesla won't replace it under the 2 year warranty as they also have a 25K mile/40K km limit on it and the car has gone more than that in those 16 months. If you do the math, that mile/km limit is less than four weeks at 40 mph. Apparently one should expect to replace it every year or two now.

My Model S got a paid MCU2 upgrade in August last year and it's already malfunctioning. Tesla won't replace it under the 2 year warranty as they also have a 25K mile/40K km limit on it and the car has gone more than that in those 16 months. If you do the math, that mile/km limit is less than four weeks at 40 mph. Apparently one should expect to replace it every year or two now.
WHAT???? this is really not acceptable. The thing isnt really a moving part and just sits there(unlike brakes or suspenion or tires) I would reach out more to management

Reactions: m5james
WHAT???? this is really not acceptable. The thing isnt really a moving part and just sits there(unlike brakes or suspenion or tires) I would reach out more to management
Yes, in the process. Especially as these units are now getting to the point where they reach this age limit having been available for a bit over that amount of time. The mileage limit is also rather inexcusable as the same part is covered for 4-5 years and 50-70K miles (depending on country) when coming in a new car.