Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade: Stopsign (red) and cones display - no stoplight colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a November 2017 MX that received MCU2 upgrade this week. The display now says that the AP computer is "Full Self-Driving Capability" (or similar), but we have not purchased FSD.

The car now recognizes traffic cones and stop signs. Stop signs are displayed in red and the icon grows as the car nears the actual sign. Cones are recognized and shown as orange triangles.

Traffic lights are apparently recognized - when approaching a light, three small, vertically oriented rectangles appear, located above the car's nose on the heads-up display. These rectangles grow as the car approaches the stoplight, but never display any color.

Questions: Is this behavior to be expected? If so, are the colors not displayed because we do not have FSD installed? Or perhaps the age of the car? Something else? Or do we need to plan another trip to the SC?

Ancillary question: Our car was purchased with AP 2.5. Did the MCU2 upgrade change that nomenclature? What do we have now: AP3? HW3? Still AP 2.5? And how do we know?

Thanks!

I have similar build as you; mine is Sept 2017 with MCU2 upgrade, but I also purchased FSD. As traffic light and stop sign control is part of FSD, it does not surprise me if your display does not show colors of stoplights. What difference would it make if it showed the color as the car won’t respond any differently without FSD purchased.

MCU2 is a different computer than the AP and HW nomenclature you refer to. It appears from what several have reported tho, including you, that you got the FSD computer along with MCU2. The FSD computer is HW3. Not sure it will have any practical impact on your car without FSD being purchased. I guess you are all set up hardware wise for the upcoming FSD subscription.

Upvote 0
Do you ever see stoplight colors? I had the upgrade done as well, have only AP, no FSD yet, and do see light color in the stoplights often. Sometimes it is only in the lights directly in front of the car, once in a while I think the color is missing.
What version of software is your car running? We have 2021.4.15 here.

Check your service receipt for the update. Many MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades for MX this year have included both the MCU and an FSD computer (HW3) update. The service will show parts for both if that is still the case.

Upvote 0
Do you ever see stoplight colors? I had the upgrade done as well, have only AP, no FSD yet, and do see light color in the stoplights often. Sometimes it is only in the lights directly in front of the car, once in a while I think the color is missing.
What version of software is your car running? We have 2021.4.15 here.

Check your service receipt for the update. Many MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades for MX this year have included both the MCU and an FSD computer (HW3) update. The service will show parts for both if that is still the case.
Yes - the upgrade included the FSD computer (according to the onboard display).

As far as the TL display on the heads-up display: The icons that show there for the traffic lights are teensy (when the TL is more than about 40' away). When I'm closer to the actual TL, they do grow somewhat larger. Never large enough to be useful, however.

And I was wrong about there being no color shown - the lights DO show a color dot, but I bet it's not more than 1-3 pixels in size. I have to squint and move my face close to the steering wheel in order to make the colors out.

I'm wondering: Is there a way to bring up on the main display a larger version of the car and lights that are displayed on the heads-up? Seems to me I've seen pictures someplace of a large version on the center screen. Or maybe that's only supported by the FSD software?

Upvote 0
Odd. At least when I stop at a traffic light and am first in line, the traffic lights are medium size if they appear on the far side of the intersection. And color of the light is pretty obvious. Maybe here in PA most of my local intersections are one and two lanes wide, so the distance is closer? If I drive under a stoplight is grows pretty big when I get within a car length or so, and color is clearly visible (maybe half the diameter of a dime?) I did pull the upgrade to FSD recently for a trip and I don't see any noticeble difference between AP only and FSD upgrade.

Upvote 0
Odd. At least when I stop at a traffic light and am first in line, the traffic lights are medium size if they appear on the far side of the intersection. And color of the light is pretty obvious. Maybe here in PA most of my local intersections are one and two lanes wide, so the distance is closer? If I drive under a stoplight is grows pretty big when I get within a car length or so, and color is clearly visible (maybe half the diameter of a dime?) I did pull the upgrade to FSD recently for a trip and I don't see any noticeble difference between AP only and FSD upgrade.

Upvote 0
I got an update last month, and the traffic light display has improved. Somewhat. It now behaves as you describe in your post. However, I sure would like to have the signals larger, earlier. Sized as they are now, they're really not a lot of use intil I'm maybe 20' away - at that point the signal color is quite visible, but before that, I have to squint to see any color. Lot easier to look at the TL itself...

Upvote 0
At least here, there is usually a 'threshold line' that gets colorized as well. It looks like the car identifies the stopping point before entering the intersection, then draws a large white/green/red line across your lane with the decided action for the intersection. This also happens with stop signs, which seem to be red all the time, where the traffic lights will be red and then change to green (especially if following another car, which does not require a tap to acknowledge.) The line color is probably visible before the traffic light color in the graphic.

Upvote 0