Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade vs FSD upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades the big display and the computer that runs it. It will make your GPS map render faster, and choosing menu options will also work faster. It is fast enough to allow the system to play entertainment options when parked (like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube) and allows for Caraoke. Upgrading to MCU2 also removes FM/AM radio.

Upgrading to FSD will replace the autopilot computer to HW3, a faster autopilot computer. With its increased speed it can recognize stop signs, traffic lights, etc. and is a necessary replacement to run full self driving, when it is available.

So the first one replaces the screen and associated processor to make the in-car functions work, the other is just an upgraded component to enable full self driving capability.

Good luck with your upgrade!

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades the big display and the computer that runs it. It will make your GPS map render faster, and choosing menu options will also work faster. It is fast enough to allow the system to play entertainment options when parked (like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube) and allows for Caraoke. Upgrading to MCU2 also removes FM/AM radio.

Upgrading to FSD will replace the autopilot computer to HW3, a faster autopilot computer. With its increased speed it can recognize stop signs, traffic lights, etc. and is a necessary replacement to run full self driving, when it is available.

So the first one replaces the screen and associated processor to make the in-car functions work, the other is just an upgraded component to enable full self driving capability.

Good luck with your upgrade!
Thanks for the info Kingkong5. I'm trying to gather information for my GF. Her objective is to get Sentry mode working in her 17 MS (AP 2) and so far we gather that she needs the MCU2 upgrade. But at the same time, we were wondering if the FSD upgrade would include upgrading the MCU. But from the information that you provided, sounds like they are independent.

Thanks for the info Kingkong5. I'm trying to gather information for my GF. Her objective is to get Sentry mode working in her 17 MS (AP 2) and so far we gather that she needs the MCU2 upgrade. But at the same time, we were wondering if the FSD upgrade would include upgrading the MCU. But from the information that you provided, sounds like they are independent.

To get Sentry mode you would have to upgrade the AP computer. (AP2.0 doesn't support Sentry mode.) To get all of the Sentry cameras recorded you would also need to upgrade the MCU to MCU2.

Yes, they are independent, but she would really want both upgrades.

I'm still confused about these upgrades and hoping someone can help clarify. I have a model S with HW2.5. I have EAP already. I can upgrade to FSD (last day today for $1000 discount!) for $3000.
1) What am I getting with this upgrade? Car can already do EAP including, summon, lane change etc.
2) Does this include an upgrade of the computer from HW 2.5 to HW3 at no extra cost?
3) Does this include an upgrade of the Infotainment center/MCU2 at no extra cost?
4) If I upgrade the infotainment center, does this include an upgrade to HW3? I've heard the cost for this is $2500 so would this be a cheaper way to get the same result?

Thanks!

I'm still confused about these upgrades and hoping someone can help clarify. I have a model S with HW2.5. I have EAP already. I can upgrade to FSD (last day today for $1000 discount!) for $3000.
1) What am I getting with this upgrade? Car can already do EAP including, summon, lane change etc.
2) Does this include an upgrade of the computer from HW 2.5 to HW3 at no extra cost?
3) Does this include an upgrade of the Infotainment center/MCU2 at no extra cost?
4) If I upgrade the infotainment center, does this include an upgrade to HW3? I've heard the cost for this is $2500 so would this be a cheaper way to get the same result?

Thanks!
  1. You get the FSD features and the AP3 hardware upgrade. (Currently responding to stop signs/lights.)
  2. Yes.
  3. No.
  4. No.

Thanks Mike for your help. One last question, how can the FSD/APS features such as stop signs/lights work without the upgrade to MCU2? I thought MCU2 was needed to display those things (stop signs, cones, etc). And is the cost to upgrade to MCU2 $2500?.

Thanks Mike for your help. One last question, how can the FSD/APS features such as stop signs/lights work without the upgrade to MCU2? I thought MCU2 was needed to display those things (stop signs, cones, etc).

I can't recall what MCU1 displays, but I think it displays at least some of the stop sign/light items. But really the actual displaying of those things isn't required for it to do them. (And especially once full FSD is available, you wouldn't even need a display.)

And yes, the Infotainment Upgrade, i.e. MCU2 upgrade, costs $2,500.

I have a May 2017 Model S (MCU 1, HW2.0). I called Tesla regarding the $3,000 upgrade to FSD that expires today. I spoke with two people today. The first one (a sales advisor) was adamant that I would get MCU 2 with my upgrade because FSD requires additional visualization that only MCU 2 would handle. He said this means I would also get the Tesla Theatre/etc. We agreed it was a phenomenal deal because MCU 2 alone is $2,500. He agreed. I had him send me an email confirming this. I called the service call center, and they told me FSD does NOT include MCU 2, but I would still get all the same visualizations, which doesn't sound accurate either. I guess I'll have to wait until my appointment to know for sure, but I have the email stating I would get the new MCU with my FSD upgrade.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
I have a May 2017 Model S (MCU 1, HW2.0). I called Tesla regarding the $3,000 upgrade to FSD that expires today. I spoke with two people today. The first one (a sales advisor) was adamant that I would get MCU 2 with my upgrade because FSD requires additional visualization that only MCU 2 would handle. He said this means I would also get the Tesla Theatre/etc. We agreed it was a phenomenal deal because MCU 2 alone is $2,500. He agreed. I had him send me an email confirming this. I called the service call center, and they told me FSD does NOT include MCU 2, but I would still get all the same visualizations, which doesn't sound accurate either. I guess I'll have to wait until my appointment to know for sure, but I have the email stating I would get the new MCU with my FSD upgrade.

I did the fair thing and surfaced the issue and he confirmed, no MCU 2 with HW 3, just as we all suspected. I should have played dumb.

Reactions: markn455
My MCU1 died, blinkers failing so could not drive, out of warranty, and I have no FSD. So this set me up for infotainment upgrade.
MCU Intel HW3 upgrade - for Tegra AP2.5 will happen, so it's an odd config maybe w/o FSD. Dashcam & sentry I'll have, not traffic lights but EAP gives me the rest, for now. In the shop until 7/30

Just to fill in some gaps on the FSD with MCU1. I have a June 2017 build S75 with FSD and MCU1. The only visualization you will not get without MCU2 upgrade will be traffic cones. For instance, traffic lights will work, as well as recognizing stop signs, but oddly enough, no traffic cones...........MCU1 is painfully slow, Id like to fully recommend one over another, but the thing is they kind of work as a team in that way at least as far as the traffic cones. Not sure if NOT having those visualizations is important enough, but without MCU2 upgrade, FSD works just as it should. Map load times would be the biggest reason in addition to responsiveness for an MCU 2 upgrade. Just my opinion

• Helpful
Reactions: markn455
Just to fill in some gaps on the FSD with MCU1. I have a June 2017 build S75 with FSD and MCU1. The only visualization you will not get without MCU2 upgrade will be traffic cones. For instance, traffic lights will work, as well as recognizing stop signs, but oddly enough, no traffic cones...........MCU1 is painfully slow, Id like to fully recommend one over another, but the thing is they kind of work as a team in that way at least as far as the traffic cones. Not sure if NOT having those visualizations is important enough, but without MCU2 upgrade, FSD works just as it should. Map load times would be the biggest reason in addition to responsiveness for an MCU 2 upgrade. Just my opinion
I'm getting traffic cones (and signal lights) in ICU, but do not have FSD yet. Agree for sure on motivation to upgrade, both screens showing more/faster etc.