Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade with FSD (already), what to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good for you. I was not having too many blank screens mid drive before. May be every once in a blue moon. So I will not be able to tell about the improvement for quite some time. Haven't seen any blank screen so far though. I was expecting page loading to improve, but it's same annoying as before. For example, when I install an update the window with the updates keeps on loading and never successfully displays the release notes. Same with instruction manual. It doesn't open up fully. When I click on a link it just takes forever to load. Wasn't that supposed to be fixed with the new emmc card?
You’d think it would be gone with the upgrade, yes.

DerbyDave - I replied just to let others know that it is possible for someone to have an updated MCU2 & still be able to get into Beta FSD (like in my case(. To me, my post sounded like I just wanted to contradict your post - that wasn't my intent.
Not an issue. You were the first I can remember posting that they got it, and that is news to me. Sometimes the memory isn't so good any more though. :) Good to know it happens.

Reactions: sealbeach100d
Interesting. My 2017 Model S (100D) had the update done for MCU2 on July 30, 2020, and I've had FSD Beta since Oct. 11, 2021.
I just read an article in cleantechnica by someone who lost his fsd beta privilege due to more than 5 forced disengagements. He mentioned that one of the reasons for losing fsd is if driver facing camera catches you getting distracted. That made me think. My 2017 model S75 doesn't have driver facing camera. Is that the reason why I am not getting fsd beta even though I purchased fsd and all my hardwares are upgraded? Does your model S have driver facing camera?

No MS currently have a camera. I think Tesla is limiting FSD Beta to very few 2017, although no one really knows. Have you selected the opt-in to get it, and do you have the safety score running? These are requirements to even be in the running to maybe get FSD Beta. Musk has said he hopes to get FSD Beta to everyone who has purchased FSD by the end of the year, although we are talking Tesla Time.

No MS currently have a camera. I think Tesla is limiting FSD Beta to very few 2017, although no one really knows. Have you selected the opt-in to get it, and do you have the safety score running? These are requirements to even be in the running to maybe get FSD Beta. Musk has said he hopes to get FSD Beta to everyone who has purchased FSD by the end of the year, although we are talking Tesla Time.
That's the irony. I don't have any ways to opt-in to get it. People always tell me, why aren't you requesting to get the safety score. There is no way I can request it. Neither through my car dashboard nor through the app. I showed it to the people at Tesla service center and they are as puzzled as I am.

That's the irony. I don't have any ways to opt-in to get it. People always tell me, why aren't you requesting to get the safety score. There is no way I can request it. Neither through my car dashboard nor through the app. I showed it to the people at Tesla service center and they are as puzzled as I am.
Probably someone forgot to update your new equipment after they installed it. Maybe Tesla still thinks you are not upgraded. As you can see from my posts above, I thought no 2017 or earlier got FSD Beta, but evidently someone has -- like @sealbeach100d .

Probably someone forgot to update your new equipment after they installed it. Maybe Tesla still thinks you are not upgraded. As you can see from my posts above, I thought no 2017 or earlier got FSD Beta, but evidently someone has -- like @sealbeach100d .
Finally I got some answer from the Tesla service center people. At first I thought the MCU upgrade from recent recall is enough to get the FSD beta. However, the MCU upgrade from the recall is just an internal upgrade which is not same as the infotainment upgrade which is what I need to get FSD beta. I have paid for the EAP when I bought the car and at that time they said that's all you need to get FSD when it's available. Then couple years back I paid another $3000 for the HW upgrade when it was told that you are all good to get the FSD. Now they are charging $2750 for infotainment upgrade to get the FSD beta. This is ridiculous. I a not sure if I should spend it now or wait for the full release of the FSD.

Finally I got some answer from the Tesla service center people. At first I thought the MCU upgrade from recent recall is enough to get the FSD beta. However, the MCU upgrade from the recall is just an internal upgrade which is not same as the infotainment upgrade which is what I need to get FSD beta. I have paid for the EAP when I bought the car and at that time they said that's all you need to get FSD when it's available. Then couple years back I paid another $3000 for the HW upgrade when it was told that you are all good to get the FSD. Now they are charging $2750 for infotainment upgrade to get the FSD beta. This is ridiculous. I a not sure if I should spend it now or wait for the full release of the FSD.
Yes EAP is different than FSD. When you got FSD that includes the HW3 upgrade but NOT MCU2. MCU2 is another $1500 (now $1750) if you don't want radio and already have HW3. If you have HW 2.0 or 2.5 it's $2250.