TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MCU2 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MurrayJimW, Sep 4, 2018.

1. zanary

zanary Member

Correct, he has confirmed I in two separate occasions, 18 months part.

Original Confirmation on March 27, 2018 : Elon Musk on Twitter

Latest Confirmation on July 27, 2019: TeslaARM on Twitter

Maybe it's related to the FSD computer upgrade that we are expecting by end of year...

2. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Or maybe related to the yellow border issue.

• Like x 2
  3. Tozz

Tozz Active Member

The FSD computer is fully separate from the MCU. FSD computer (AP hardware) for MCU1 and MCU2 is the same.

No, they can replace the screen without replacing the MCU. The screen is literally just bolted on the MCU with a datacable.

I believe Elon ment to say that technically it is possible. It is technically possible to upgrade almost anything.
    But with Service Centers being so overly busy I don't see Tesla offering any kind of upgrade in the near future.

4. Lex

Lex Member

I just asked how much for the MCU2 + LTE upgrade. If it's not overly excessive a quote it seems like something someone like me is just supposed to try and get done :p so much easier than an entirely new car. Anyone who has built their own PCs back in the day (I'm assuming Elon himself included) should know that upgrading your computer "CPU" is something you just expect to do ("drop in replacement" using your old accessories, maybe with a new adapter cord or two) as computer tech is on a different progress curve than things like motors, tires, and bonded metal structures. Bottom line for me is the MCU is the in-car PC and there are now massive improvements. Of course there's an upgrade path possible one way or another, there's at least one member saying that it's been done, and another saying it was done by accident and worked except for VIN association. We shall soon see...

5. selfbp

selfbp Member

I think it will be easily doable once they give the resources to do it and allow the service centers to schedule swaps. I'm going to assume it'll be some time after HW3 becomes available for retrofit.

6. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

It's not quite as simple because the antenna setup in the mirror and the display solution for the IC have also changed. MCU1 uses a Tegra3 in the mcu itself, driving a Tegra2 in the IC and only has 2.4 GHz WiFi in the mirror, only internal BT. MCU2 directly drives the MCU and IC and uses 2.4, 5GHz WiFi and external BT in the mirror. It's NOT simple drop-in as the APE. Unfortunately. And given Teslas steep hour rates that would likely be a pricey upgrade, as most of the dash has to be removed for rewiring.
    APE has the same pinout, remove glovebox, switch out APE, reattach glovebox, done.

• Informative x 1
  7. Lex

Lex Member

Very detailed info, thanks. Seems Tesla Service agrees, response was that there's no documented procedure so they can't offer it at this time.

8. darxsys

darxsys Member

I think people should come to terms with the fact that it will never happen. Tesla is in a situation where owners are forced to go to arbitration over obvious warranty items. Given that, who thinks they really give a damn about your slow MCU? Want a new one? Buy a newer car.

Elon’s words mean nothing, and that’s been proven time and time again.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  9. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

Yeah, sadly I’ve grown to believe this as well and did just that. They really haven’t done retrofits since the early roadster and Model S days. Raven finally had enough new things to warrant an upgrade for me, but I have no doubt as soon as the 7 day return period ends after my delivery next week they will release an interior refresh. That’s been my history with Tesla lol.

• Like x 1
  10. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

On the flip side, I thought much the same thing about activating Bioweapon Defense Mode for a car ordered without it. And yet, a couple years after I got my car, the option suddenly appeared one day.

• Like x 1
  11. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Yeah but that’s a binary switch in software and placing a $200 filter in a housing that the car already has.

The MCU2 upgrade is more analogous to retrofitting bioweapon defense mode to a pre-facelift nose cone car.

12. Chaserr

Chaserr Active Member

I agree with you but had to add Tesla is being so combative against its own customers lately they're willing to ignore their own CEO and decline making additional money just to spite more owners. It's getting ridiculous.

13. kdday

kdday Member

I have a theory about mcu2 upgrades. In recent tesla firmware, circa 2019.4 or so, tesla added an MCU backup/restore script that looks targeted to perform mcu1 to mcu2 (maybe) upgrades.

My theory is that due to the Yellowing lcd screen issue that Tesla continues to have, they've deferred offering mcu2 retrofits for existing fleet because of the complaints and warranty issues. I believe they've got a new lcd part that just hit production that may alleviate that constraint.

If so, perhaps they start offering mcu2 retrofits in the coming weeks.

• Disagree x 1
  14. whitex

whitex Active Member

I think you just misunderstood Elon. It is absolutely upgradable today. The upgrade path is "trade-in old car, pay for new car", the price is the difference between the new car price and your trade-in value (to Tesla). Elon never said you'll be able to upgrade just the MCU with no other parts required, or give anyone a price. New MCU simply requires a whole lot of new parts (everything except for tires and floor mats) :p

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Skipdd

Skipdd Supporting Member

If wishes were horses..

16. dgatwood

dgatwood Member

I think you're overthinking this. As I understand it, the MCU2 harness is a superset of what is in MCU1:
    • The MCU1 instrument cluster talks to MCU2 just fine.
    • You would not have the extra external Bluetooth hardware, so you won't get the improved cell phone unlock behavior. If MCU1's antenna was part of the MCU itself, then they might have to add an adapter to connect to some extra antenna that doesn't exist in MCU2, but I doubt it.
    • Unless they used a separate antenna cable and antenna (unlikely), the 5GHz radio should talk just fine over the existing 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi antenna, just with poorer SWR. You might not have quite the same range as a real MCU2 in the 5 GHz band, but it should at least work.
    The fact that folks have, in fact, accidentally dropped in an MCU2 board into an MCU1 Model S means that it basically is just a drop-in replacement. If it requires any additional mods at all, they should be minimal, and at worst, those mods will be limited to attaching some external antenna hardware inside the dashboard using a custom break-out adapter.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Making any assumptions on this single report, providing no evidence, which seems quite likely to be a confused owner parroting back some passing comment from a service tech, is an insane leap of faith.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  18. darxsys

darxsys Member

Agreed. There is absolutely no proof this has ever been done. Could someone reach out to Rich Rebuilds to see if he could figure out how hard it would be? :)

19. dgatwood

dgatwood Member

Then let’s explore it from a logical perspective. Tesla switches lines over from one part to the next as parts run out. Do you really think they would do it in a way that would require changing out the entire wiring harness, the instrument cluster, and the mirror if they are off by a few units? Do you really think they are going to scrap a bunch of instrument clusters with the old design just because they ran out of media computers of a particular model? Nobody does things like that.

It is almost certain that for some period near the hardware changeover, the rest of the car was been built in a way that could handle either version of the MCU, which limits how different the connectors can be.

20. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

No, they’re not going to scrap them. They’ll leave them in parts inventory to replace failed ones from the prior generation. But it would be insane from a supportability standpoint to haphazardly mix old and new components in random permutations during a switchover, even if they DO all work together at the time. Nobody does things like that.

Likely. But however you slice it, it’s a labor intensive swap, and something Tesla has precious little incentive to offer existing customers. There’s just nothing for them to gain.

• Helpful x 1