Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrde and no AM or FM radio

Jimat

Jun 21, 2014
Burra NSW
Hey @Jimat I recently upgraded to the MCU2 and having a lot of connection issues, but I don’t think it’s the 4G module. 80% of the time the app doesn’t wake the car in my garage, and we live 800m from a Telstra 4G tower and wifi at home. Also while driving it regularly disconnects from the network with no signal when I normally would. I think its a software thing and was hoping a recent update would fix, but still happening and it’s a bit of a pain. I have a SC appointment coming up and was going to bring up the issue with service then.
My car connects to my home wi-fi in my garage without any problems but disconnects when I drive out.
Then it is a big hit and miss for connecting on the drive into town and sometimes even has trouble streaming anything after I have been parked in town for a while. Eventually it gets a usable LTE signal and things return to normal.
I have had 3 or 4 OTA updates in the last month or so and it doesn’t get any better.
However my iPhone with Tunein Bluetoothed to the car sort of satisfies my need for radio.

BCTS

Feb 8, 2021
Melbourne
I've logged a Mobile Service Request for my issues. It's been 6 months of "It should be fixed by a Firmware Update" etc.. .
Honestly although I love the MCU2 Responsiveness etc... It's actually being a backward step with this 4G Issue. I've had to wait 5 minutes to be able to get my Car out of a Parking Space with Summon because it won't wake up/communicate etc..

Reactions: Brian May

aegidius

Aug 27, 2018
Brisbane
Well they had better fix the 4G thing then for us oldies, radio or no radio - presumably (!) the Model 3 does not suffer from these problems with its 4G connection.

Reactions: bradjc

Brian May

Apr 9, 2016
Melbourne
Tesla's own webpage says it does provide FM and DAB, but not AM.

Not quite. It says "Tesla offers an additional Radio Upgrade, including the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas, that allows customers to *retain* access to FM radio and DAB radio".

Highlighting on the word "retain" added by me.

The wording was the same when I got my upgrade, and I was told that it would not include DAB.

I gather this means if you already have DAB then you get to keep it with the radio upgrade, but if you don't already (my car didn't have DAB beforehand) have it then you won't get it. But I wish they could clarify this.

jbcarioca

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2015
Does it feel like a new car?
Probably like an old one. I cannot understand why one wants those ancient technologies when TuneIn has almost an endless supply of radio stations streaming from anywhere. In my car we have our Brazilian MEC-FM, New York WQXR, Los Angeles KUSC, and Radio Classique from Grasse, France. Those have been our long time favorites and now all are in our Tesla menu. The same is true for our local news stations for each of those, built from our residences. Now habits need no change.

I really would not care to have direct broadcast for AM, FM or even DAB.

Maximillan

Oct 30, 2021
Sydney
Probably like an old one. I cannot understand why one wants those ancient technologies when TuneIn has almost an endless supply of radio stations streaming from anywhere. In my car we have our Brazilian MEC-FM, New York WQXR, Los Angeles KUSC, and Radio Classique from Grasse, France. Those have been our long time favorites and now all are in our Tesla menu. The same is true for our local news stations for each of those, built from our residences. Now habits need no change.

I really would not care to have direct broadcast for AM, FM or even DAB.
Have you tried Kyle and Jackie O? Now that's culcha for ya.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC