Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 yellowing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had an issue with their MCU2 yellowing on the boarder. I had to do a reboot a few days ago and the yellow (similar to my MCU1) appeared on the far right of the screen. Thought this was only a MCU1 issue. I've had the MCU2 for about 6 months.

I have seen yellow borders on a few MCU2 loaners I've gotten.
When i got the MCU2 upgrade to my car, when i got home i hit it with my UV light for about 10 hours to all areas of the main and small screen as a preventive measure, since my understanding of the yellow is glue that wasn't fully cured.
I dono if it worked or if i got a screen that was good but either way its been quite a while and no yellow anywhere.

Not related to MCU 1 vs 2 - lots and lots of MCU2s yellowed directly from the factory.
Your are completely correct @ucmndd!!!

My wife's 2019 Raven Model X (so MCU2 from the factory) is starting to develop the yellowing borders as of 2 weeks ago. We've had it since new, and it currently has 1,938 miles on the odometer. We live in an apartment building so it has always been parked in an underground parking without any sunlight exposure. Thanks to the pandemic, we have not used it very much (as you can see from its milage), but we have taken it on only two road trips and when we got to both destinations, we parked it in underground parking lots as well. All this to say that there was a theory that sunlight and extreme heat caused the uncured glue to turn yellow, but I have my doubts about this seeing the use patterns our Model X has.

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to schedule a Service appointment now that the yellowing has just begun, or should we wait a bit more in order for the yellowing to become worse and make the Service visit really worth it...🤔

Pretty rare for a newer one though, or one added via the infotainment upgrade…
I have a 2017 Model S with the Infotainment Upgrade so I hope this stays this way... In Elon's second attempt glue curing we trust!!!!

When i got the MCU2 upgrade to my car, when i got home i hit it with my UV light for about 10 hours to all areas of the main and small screen as a preventive measure.
I dono if it worked or if i got a screen that was good but either way it's been quite a while and no yellow anywhere.
Oh man, I wish I came up with this idea when I got my MCU upgrade. You are an avatar spinning genius!!!
I had my Infotainment Upgrade done on November 2020, so it may still be a good time to give it a shot, considering my MCU2 is still looking as good as new. #FingersCrossed