Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU_w007 - Navigation Data Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting the following error when trying to use navigation (turn by turn):

MCU W007
Navigation unavailable - Service is required
Navigation data cannot be located

The map itself works fine, shows the car correctly on the map, shows traffic, street names, etc.

Tesla is trying to get me to update my infotainment center (I have 2016 X, 2021.24.28)

Attachments

• D61E6FC8-B38B-4BD7-A56D-262D6FC6F287.jpeg
    D61E6FC8-B38B-4BD7-A56D-262D6FC6F287.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 344
The map display on the MCU is provided via the cellular connection. The navigation data is separate, and I'm not 100% certain where it's stored or whether that component is replaceable, so here are the possibilities as I understand them and a caveat*:

You are out of warranty, and/or perhaps the EMMC upgrade is further backordered than the MCU upgrade. Either of the two would resolve the issue, but I would definitely recommend the MCU upgrade if you're paying either way (the EMMC upgrade should be covered by warranty).

The navigation data is NOT stored on the EMMC, but on separate storage that is part of the MCU and cannot be replaced. In this case, again, if you're paying to replace the MCU anyway, upgrading to MCU2 probably makes more sense.

The navigation data is stored on a replaceable SD card. In this case, perhaps you could get away with paying for the repair, but MCU1 life isn't generally that great regardless, so it still might make sense to consider the MCU2 upgrade option.

*Note that the MCU2 upgrade option will disable XM & radio. You can get XM & FM back with a $500 upcharge for another component upgrade, but you cannot get AM on MCU2.