Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU_w029 error - battery imbalance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a MCU_w029 error on Friday after work on my 2013 model S. It said to take it to get serviced. I thought nothing of it until I got home and charged it. It was 100% full completely charged at 91 miles. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. I saw some other threads that this is a battery imbalance and would more likely have get the battery replaced however I haven’t seen any info on what was actually done. I am taking it to Tesla on Wednesday but I am almost 100% certain they are going to tell me I need to replace the battery. I live in So California so I would prefer a third party out here that can do it or fix. Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys. Yes I am a newbie.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to see that happened. We've been seeing a few people brand new to the forum and they post a similar issue, then are never heard from again / never post, which is really strange (not even a quick update, like their car is fixed). It makes me wonder if these cases are just made up to try to make Tesla look bad.

I recommend you charge to 80% and also do a full power off, wait a minute and power your vehicle back on. Which service center / area are you taking your car to?

Ask for a low cost Tesla repair option if your vehicle needs repairs. These third-party companies can help also:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.com

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to see that happened. We've been seeing a few people brand new to the forum and they post a similar issue, then are never heard from again / never post, which is really strange (not even a quick update, like their car is fixed). It makes me wonder if these cases are just made up to try to make Tesla look bad.

I recommend you charge to 80% and also do a full power off, wait a minute and power your vehicle back on. Which service center / area are you taking your car to?

Ask for a low cost Tesla repair option if your vehicle needs repairs. These third-party companies can help also:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

Wow thank you so much. Someone actually replied lol. Thank you so much for the tip as well I am going to try it. I am taking it to Walnut CA Tesla tomorrow. I’ll see what they say.

I appreciate your help. It means a lot!

Reactions: Electric700
This I thought I uploaded it. I need a new battery according to Tesla.

Attachments

• 1364EDF4-6C10-42DE-8533-7FC47EC00089.png
    1364EDF4-6C10-42DE-8533-7FC47EC00089.png
    408.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 8E6299B2-6912-48DA-91CF-B89CE2379C8C.png
    8E6299B2-6912-48DA-91CF-B89CE2379C8C.png
    589.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 25F2EEE4-E590-4849-A0F5-ABD16A9E8B0C.png
    25F2EEE4-E590-4849-A0F5-ABD16A9E8B0C.png
    466.4 KB · Views: 260
dahhhhnnnngggg. Somedays I miss my 2013 S. Other days, I'm glad I sold it. Do you get to keep the old battery? Can Rich Rebuilds weigh in?
This is first time I get any sort of feedback about my Tesla error. I hit up rich on Twitter but no response. I want to direct message him on here but I didn’t see the option for that 😅 I just messaged WeFixEV here in Costa Mesa CA and he’s going to get a price for me. Hate that there isn’t much local places in So Cal.

This is first time I get any sort of feedback about my Tesla error. I hit up rich on Twitter but no response. I want to direct message him on here but I didn’t see the option for that 😅 I just messaged WeFixEV here in Costa Mesa CA and he’s going to get a price for me. Hate that there isn’t much local places in So Cal.
Tesla's reman 75kwh option is good one. Even rich or anyone else might charge around 5k to fix it but that's not right fix for failed packs according to experts on forum. I would pick 75kwh option.

Reactions: ucmndd and AustinP
Oh no, that’s a pretty high cost! What about one of the options below? The first two offer warranties.

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec