TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MD announces slew of electric stations with $1M investment with Matching funds

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Xenoilphobe, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Md. announces slew of electric car chargers along highways - WTOP.com

Md. announces slew of electric car chargers along highways

Thursday - 4/24/2014, 3:49pm ET

[​IMG]Maryland will be one of the first states to introduce the fast EV chargers to highway drivers. (WTOP/Megan Cloherty)
    LAUREL, Md. - Standing next to a new charging station, Maryland Attorney General Doug Gansler touted the fast EV chargers set to be installed along Maryland highways.
    The grant process will start soon using $1 million in funds. Gansler says the state will match any private investment in the chargers.
    "Approximately 20 of them from this money will go in from western Maryland to Ocean City and across the state," Gansler says.
    Right now, Maryland ranks as one of the lowest states in electric vehicle sales. By building the infrastructure to allow drivers to easily charge their cars, the idea is that more consumers will choose the greener option.
    It will "make it easier for people to look at, adopt and buy a car and not feel anxious or concerned about where's the next charging station," says John Murach, BGE's manager of energy efficient programs.
    Unlike chargers that take up to six hours to charge an electric car while drivers are at home or work, these are built for use mid-trip.
    "There are folks now who are attempting to get to the Eastern Shore in a Nissan Leaf and they have to hang out for four to six hours until the recharge. The new fast chargers will eliminate that," says Jill Sorenson with BEVI electric vehicle initiative.
    Proponents say growing the electric car infrastructure also means more jobs at Baltimore's General Motors manufacturing plant that produces electric engines for the Chevy Spark EV.
    Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.

- - - Updated - - -

I did a trip to Chincoteague with the family about 240 miles from home and it was dicey (had to stop at Bethesda for a charge which made the trip less nail biting). However on the way back we hit a huge snow storm and barely (first time I hit zero miles left) to the SC. This will solve that issue - guess a my wife will get the beachhouse she wanted _ told her it had to be in Tesla range from home.

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

More CHAdeMO chargers is a good thing. Given price point and installation cost this could add about 60-100 chargers. Very nice!
    I'm glad that it's not just L2 chargers. We need those at hotels.

3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I thought this was about a doctor that put his/her own money down for a charging network

4. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

Personally, I'd prefer to see more 80 Amp Level 2 chargers. More cars (including mine, of course) can use these than can use CHAdeMO.

5. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

80A chargers make no sense as mid trip chargers. You, too, will soon be able to use CHAdeMO chargers... Once the adapter is ready in "early winter 2013", that is

6. Xenoilphobe

Tesla could offset the cost of a couple supercharger stations. In fact Gansler would love the pr. Investment fr outside the state and easy access to the beachs. All while protecting the Chesapeake bay

im with with you. Go give me 80AMPS or don't bother. Time is money.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

This is funding en route charging and for the sake of contention you really want that to be fast DC. Destination charging should be A/C.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That doesn't help Roadster owners of course but agree that DC quick chargers are more useful for everyone else.

That said 80A chargers could still be very useful. Cost probably 1/5 to install. If this was the new standard and auto makers could bring cost down for these chargers they would still be useful. Destination charging is still limited. Two cars with 80A charging could be rotated through one 80A station in an 8 hour period while that would take two separate 30 A stations.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

"Leafs" have 30A charging: 20mph
    "Volts" have 15A charging. 10mph
    Contentiontastic!
    That's not any kind of enabler, which is what this is about. These are electric gas stations and you want fast charging with cars in and out.
    CHAdeMO is more like 120mph with 50A charging.
    80A destination chargers, each serving up to 4 cars would be great destination chargers. Those would increase electric miles for all plug-ins and lower use and therefore contention on the travel chargers.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It makes sense for car makers to build to the infrastructure that is out there in public and that is 30 A level II stations. I know it won't happen but 80A would have been very useful as a standard. A leaf could get a significant charge over a long dinner. 40A should at least be the min standard for cars and the EVSEs deployed but too late likely since the government backed the rollout of 30A.

11. Xenoilphobe

Standard of 100 AMP would be even better. I don't even bother with anything lower than 50 AMP. Unless I am at the Airport and gone for a couple days.. I hope Maryland doesn't cheap out and go with 30 AMP.

Best would be for Tesla to step in and invest the other $500K at key locations Salisbury, Cambridge, Easton MD with high speed charging - "route charging".

12. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

No, I doubt that I will ever be able to use CHAdeMO, as I drive a Roadster.

13. loganss

loganss Spaceman

The article is pretty sparse on details. Has the first charger been installed? If so where? What will it cost to use? Will all the stations be chademo? How many chargers per location?

14. Xenoilphobe

I hope they tie the chargers to the E-Z Pass network, so we can just use our smart tags that we use for toll booths..

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

It'd need a card. You could have multiple cars with transponders, remembering that the charging port is in a different place on different plug-ins. Otherwise the principle is sound. Even better if you add public parking and public transportation to the same account. (The fewer inter-institutional financial transactions happen, the cheaper the processing.)

16. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

#16 Lanny, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    loganss,

I was there at the announcement of the funding of the Maryland DC Quick Charger network. The people from the Attorney General's office admit that there are many details to work out on the implementation side. It appears that this will be a matching funds deal with a private company, probably like an NRG eVgo or ChargePoint.

I recorded the entire presentation. See the video below.

Lanny

17. loganss

loganss Spaceman

@Lanny: Thanks for recording the video and posting. At least MD is putting some effort into EVs.

18. Xenoilphobe

Any updates? Beach time is almost here !