Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MD Body Shop Unfavorable Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be helpful to those who end up with the misfortune of needing body work like I did in February. More than 2 months after I picked up my car from the body shop I'm still fighting to get things done right. If you have invisible cover on your car the body shop will take it off to do their work of course. My insurance has coverage for stated value which covers aftermarket permanent fixtures. So they were obligated to replace the Xpel I had had on my car. I went to the trouble of pointing out this fact to them prior their estimate and so they did include it in their final estimate. By the way for Tesla, the insurance estimator basically signs off on what the Tesla recommended body shop estimates.

Anyhow, when I went to pick up my car, they had installed one of those little bras which cover just the very tip of the front when my xpel had been the whole front to where you could not tell there was Xpel on the car. Needless to say, this was very visible and they had used some other cheap material. In fact on one fender which they had not worked on they applied it right over the Xpel. I picked up the car anyway as they 'promised' me they would have the installer come to me within a week to do the proper job. Well this is more than two months later and it has been a headache trying to get this done. Finally having the original installer do the work after insisting to my insurance company that this be done.

If I were to do this over again I'd show the body shop the receipt for the original Xpel work even before they did their estimate. I suspect they're dragging their feet as they had estimated about $1500. My original work was for $3500. After I saw the estimate my thinking was that they were going to use an installer with whom they had a volume agreement. After all we know most of the Xpel cost installation is the labor.

Horrible. Care to name the guilty for our Hall of Shame so the rest of us can avoid them?
Is your insurance company adjuster responsive to any of this? It seems if they approved the shop and they covered the aftermarket film restoration they're liable to pay for it until they do it right.

My insurance adjuster has finally taken charge and has authorized me to take the car to the original installer of Xpel. They initially took a hands off approach leaving it to the body shop and I to get things done. It was clear to me from the get go that the shop was trying to evade responsibility somehow. Each time I called the body shop they would say 'an installer will call you to make arrangements this week, tomorrow' or something similar. I do not know how my insurance is going to handle the aspect of who is ultimately responsible for the extra expense. Well, I guess ultimately it's you and I, the premium paying public. Tesla gives one the choice between Annapolis, Rockville and Richmond in this region. This was the Tesla recommended shop in Annapolis. This sure left a sour taste in my mouth.