Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mea Culpa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a public service I'll admit to doing something dumb this morning.

While getting ready to leave for yoga class I set my phone and wallet (with key card) on the work bench in the garage, jumped in Wattson (PM3) and headed to class.

Some of you know where this is going.

Apparently you can drive without a phone or key card, which I realized about 4 seconds AFTER I stepped out of my car. Door was still open but it didn't matter, once my butt left the seat I was done for.

Luckily I had running shoes and only had to add a five mile run after class.

I know I could have asked a friend to borrow their phone, downloaded the Tesla App, logged in and accessed the car but I don't think you can pair without a key card, can you?

What I think would be really nice is a warning that would pop up if you drive away without a key card, fob or paired phone. Maybe I'll send Elon a tweet after the earnings call...

Hope this doesn't happen to you!

Reminds me of the old adage/prayer: "Lord, if I can't be a good example example for others, at least let me be a warning!"

Sorry this happened. Your suggestion makes sense. Our Lexus warns us immediately if the remote leaves the car. Can't imagine it would be a tough thing for a Tesla.

In the old ICE days, we'd get the magnetic key compartment and find a place to stick it where it wouldn't fall off hitting a bump. Can't imagine where to hide a Tesla card.

You don't need the key card. I have done this at the beach when my phone had bluetooth off (so I could lock the car) and I thought I lost my key card. Just borrowed a phone and logged in to unlock my car (alternatively I could have started it if it was a situation like you where you had to drive to go get your keycard/phone)

Well, now I feel even more dumb! I completely forgot that I can remote start via the app.

Thanks for the feedback, now if I just had a friend with a phone...

Assuming you can remember your password. Mine is strong (and safe) so I use a password manager, which is of course on my phone .

So in my case it would be, borrow a smartphone, login to my password manager, get password, login to Tesla, start car. A bit of a mess but at least I know its secure.

Reactions: RobRain