Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meaning of "late 2016" re Takata recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I have Googled extensively to try to find out if my mid-December 2016 build Model S has the potentially dangerous Takata airbags, but can only find references that cars built between 2012 and "late 2016" are affected. Is there a list of VIN's? I can't imagine why Tesla would be deliberately vague about this safety issue.

Because there aren't enough replacement inflators to go around, so they are replacing the ones that are likely old enough that they could start to become a safety issue. Even if your car has the "bad" inflators they shouldn't be a safety issue for a few more years. (By which time Tesla would have worked through the older cars and gotten to you.)

I have Googled extensively to try to find out if my mid-December 2016 build Model S has the potentially dangerous Takata airbags, but can only find references that cars built between 2012 and "late 2016" are affected. Is there a list of VIN's? I can't imagine why Tesla would be deliberately vague about this safety issue.

Imagine my confusion on this issue, having taken delivery on December 30th.

Tesla will contact us when/if we need to do something.

In the meantime, I am going to my dentist to get updated xrays. It might be necessary for identification were a mini nuke to go off next to my head.

Because there aren't enough replacement inflators to go around, so they are replacing the ones that are likely old enough that they could start to become a safety issue. Even if your car has the "bad" inflators they shouldn't be a safety issue for a few more years. (By which time Tesla would have worked through the older cars and gotten to you.)
This would all make sense except I know at least one of the articles said cars built after "late 2016" are no longer using the same potentially dangerous part and therefore will never be recalled. The question is why don't they just list the vin's affected -- or maybe they have done so and someone can provide a link? There is no reason for Tesla to play cute.

If you're willing, can you be more specific on how you know the build date (or date range) of your vehicle? Also, can you provide the ballpark VIN?

I'm curious to see where my inventory vehicle lands in the 2016 build timeline.

Reading it, the NHTSA does not recommend a full recall. They even say to limit it to humid regions. So officially only the 2012 ones are being recalled right now. Tesla however is going to proactively replace all of them eventually, but given the limited supply line they can only focus on the ones that are at risk (older ones). It's not productive to be releasing a VIN list right now when they aren't recalling them yet.

Tesla will replace 2012 Model S passenger airbags following Takata recall
Model S Safety Update