TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Mechanical issues

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Dborn, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I thought that it was time we had one of these here. Moderator, make this a sticky?

With the warmer weather, i have been driving lately with the roof and windows open and aircon off. I have noticed a metallic clicking which is inconsistent, although today i finally worked out how to make it consistent. Low speed, light acceleration and deceleration repeatedly will produce the sound. I can only hear it with aircon off and windows open.
    So, went in to Tesla Sydney, and Gavin came for a ride. He agrees it is not normal and is in the drive train. So, it is booked in for next week when they will give it a proper once over.
    This is a heads up for you to listen out for an abnormal clicking, sounds like light metal, coming from the rear of the car. My car has done 27800 km odd.

2. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

I know you said inconsistent but have you checked your tyres for stones stuck in tread or a nail in tyre.

3. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Yep. Also, service advisor has heard it and believes it is in the transmission. Actually, tonight, it is now a mild thunk, as well. I am hoping this does not mean a new motor/ transmission. Although, if it does, it is going to be quick and relatively painless.

4. Mark E

Mark E Member

It's most likely a re-packing of the drive-shafts and a new washer - mine was done last week. 32,000km.

Extract from the receipt below;
    "Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis

Rear left hand side there is a clicking noise at low speed from standstill. Recommend to replace driveshaft lock nut and washer and apply lubricant.

Corrections: Halfshafts - Lubricate at Hubs LH/RH

Applied lubricant to halfshaft at hub."

5. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

It's not something as simple as the wind rattling the rear seat belt is it?

6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

No regrettably not. The symptoms do sound similar to Mark E.
    Devvie goes in Thursday and I will report back after.

7. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Looking forward to hearing a follow-up on this.

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Well, it seems mark-e is on the money. The issue is apparently the same as his. Retorqueing bolts on the drive shafts, packing with grease and a new washer. Apparently a relatively common problem and the subject of a service bulletin.

9. Mark E

Mark E Member

Since it seems to appear after about 30,000km if it recurs then it'll most likely end up as part of the annual service.