Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Coverage in Europe and Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to look up all German language articles in the news concerning TM or the Model S, using google news. What I discovered is, that coverage on Tesla over here is rare and often false.

I try to comment on every story online, that I feel is deceptive or just wrong. For example in Focus ( Tesla S: E-Limousine zum Sparpreis ), they purporte that the top speed of Model S is 90km/h. In an other article the same magazine presented 10 tops and flops at NAIAS, where they put on Model S as flop #4 for the “bad interior design” while failing to mention any of the features of the car.

For understandable reasons TM is focused on the media coverage in the U.S., but I think there could and should be done more to improve media coverage overseas.

There is for instance a congress about EVs in Switzerland (Schweizer Forum Elektromobilität) sponsored by the Government, GM and the biggest auto club in Switzerland. While Nissan delivers a speech and shows the Leaf, there is no word on Tesla in the whole event program.

All I can do is try to follow Elons appeal at the October event in Freemont, to get out the word, that there is an EV, that is “way better” than any gasoline car. So I wrote many emails to editorial offices of newspapers in Switzerland and I had some successes for example with the Migros magazine (Migros-Magazin) which has about 3 million readers and is the biggest magazine by one of the retailers in Switzerland. They published a 2-Page article about Tesla after I contacted them. I wish, I could devote more time to this, but like the most of us, I have limited resources to do so.

When I'm discussing EVs with business partners, customers or in informal talks at a conference, I often discover, that almost nobody has heard of Tesla and most people think, that the only EVs out there are Golf Carts. So there seems to be no awareness at all even though Switzerland is the country with the most Tesla Roadsters per head in the world.

What do you think? Should TM do more to get the (beneficial) attention of the media in Europe? What could WE do, to improve media coverage in non english speaking countries?

linaser, it's indeed a noble effort on your part to try to spread awareness about Tesla across the pond. Tesla, with its own limited resources (monetary, personnel, etc.), cannot probably focus too much on its exposure outside the US right now.

My guess is that once the Model S comes off the line and gets into the hands of 5,000 (sure-to-be-very-happy) drivers in the US, media in Europe will surely latch on and provide more comprehensive and positive coverage towards the end of 2012.

I think that when the US auto reviewers can get their hands on the wheel of a Model S, then much more will be written about it and then regurgitated in Europe. Without drive-able cars, there isn't a whole lot that Tesla can do. The media have been looking at the car since it's preview in 2009. They're tired of looking at it.

It may be better to wait a little. There are disadvantages in trying to hype early:
1) The public tires quickly of publicity about unavailable products;
2) Confusion and contradictions are rather amplified than reduced;
3) Potential competitors are better left a bit in the dark (let sleeping dogs lie). Each month of peace and ignorance is a month won for Tesla.

A communication plan has to target potential customers at minimal costs. Roadster sales have built considerable experience and I would think that Tesla is now condensing what has been learnt into a consistent and cost effective approach.

Participation in those innumerable conference events should be handled restrictively. Key staff are at this time needed at home. Tesla is still a small company and has to manage staff and financial resources with diligence.

I see no harm in waiting until next summer and until the first cars are on the road in Europe. It is very difficult to spread "correct" information - particularly about a product that can't be experienced here as yet directly; this all the more if that product is relatively revolutionary. The best propaganda are the roadsters swishing soundlessly through the hairpins across the passes, believe me - they are noticed! Since the IPO the number of informed people, naturally primarily in the financial community, has risen a lot. They do read about Tesla and they do not all limit themselves to Peterson or the Motley Fool.

linaser, noble intent, "chapeau" to you. :smile:
However, I can guarantee you that media do mistakes also with other car manufacturers (plenty, actually), so there's not always an anti-EV intent behind them. If the PR department of OEM had to chase all mistakes, that would be a full time job.
Furthermore, it seems to me that Tesla has reduced the expectations on Europe where it met a more challenging environment than in US, so this may explain some reduced effort on media. The reduction of the Sig. volume for export markets to 1/2 of US raise some questions on this regards and cannot be justified only by a timing issue. Let's admit it, Model S is a gorgeous car, but European car buyers are more demanding than US ones on average and brand equity in Europe matters more than in US.

@Mycroft - "I think that when the US auto reviewers can get their hands on the wheel of a Model S, then much more will be written about it and then regurgitated in Europe."
I politely disagree. Media coverage on automotive industry in Europe is very sophisticated, nothing comes from the States and while that's mostly because most of Europeans consider US cars as low quality/poor design (and clearly Model S is different), I don't think things are going to change dramatically because of Model S... Either the company puts some effort on it, or it won't happen.
Clearly now they are fully committed to the US market because it's a "make it or break it" situation, so I agree with Alfred, I think that's ok for the time being. We'll see in the next months :smile:

Let's admit it, Model S is a gorgeous car, but European car buyers are more demanding than US ones on average and brand equity in Europe matters more than in US.

Media coverage on automotive industry in Europe is very sophisticated, nothing comes from the States and while that's mostly because most of Europeans consider US cars as low quality/poor design (and clearly Model S is different), I don't think things are going to change dramatically because of Model S.

I completely agree on both points. European customers are far more demanding when it comes to tech, sophistication and perfection in build quality. Things that - to be honest - are very much lacking in many American cars. Sure, they often look great and seem to offer good value for money. But long term quality, real hightech features and fine detail build quality is not part of their appeal. Even my friends in America attest to that. Small wonder that almost all of them drive German, Swedish and British cars. Apart from one who drives a Tesla Roadster. So some recognition there at least ;-)