Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Media Mistake - False] No FM, Bluetooth, or USB Audio either?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only people who work for Tesla know.

The article implies the car does not have FM radio at all. If true, that is surprising. We knew it would not have AM radio but omission of FM radio, a must for people that live in rural areas would be quite a shock... especially since it also does not have an XM/Sirius option.

...eyebrow-raising...

Just like AP1, AP2, and fully self driving, when Tesla says it can, it will. The question is how soon :)

Tesla spec says: FM, Bluetooth for Model 3. For Model S, it says
  • Two USB ports for media and power
, but I don't see that for Model 3 so if it's not mentioned, Tesla is not obligated to provide USB audio.

Press Kit | Tesla Canada

I will go nuts if I can't use my USB flash drive for media!

Reactions: Lunarx and vinnie97
Meh, I'm pretty sure most of this will be fixed through OTA software updates by the time most non-employee customers get their cars. Its pretty clear the software is fairly beta, and Tesla is leaning, rightfully so, on using future OTA updates for finalizing the software while still getting cars out ASAP.

Meh, I'm pretty sure most of this will be fixed through OTA software updates by the time most non-employee customers get their cars. Its pretty clear the software is fairly beta, and Tesla is leaning, rightfully so, on using future OTA updates for finalizing the software while still getting cars out ASAP.
Pretty sure this is the case. I am 95% certain these features will (eventually) be in there.

Reactions: PaulJB
I think currently is the key word. Tune-in does a great job with most local stations. I prefer it personally. USB I doubt we'll see. Bluetooth surely is coming.
Audio sources dependent on cellular/WiFi connection, servers, and Internet congestion should not be the primary way entertainment is piped into the M3.

Contrast that to broadcasts: the only things to consider are the receiver's capabilities, the atmosphere and terrain, and the transmitter of the station. Way more likely to work when streaming doesn't (assuming one is in range of the station's transmitter).

As pointed out repeatedly, the lack of AM (and Tesla confirmed it is NOT in the M3) may be a safety issue, because at least in California there are many low-power AM stations broadcasting road/traffic/safety information. These will NEVER be on TuneIn.

Second, lack of XM (there is no evidence that it is included, even in the PUP version of the upgraded audio system) is unforgivable for those living where AT&T's cell coverage is weak or nonexistent. An option for XM is a dumb oversight.

After watching the video the guy in Los Angeles (with the black M3) made regarding plugging in his USB drive to listen to music but that media on phones don't work, I got the impression that it's a "not yet" deal. It's not working yet. There's other software stuff that isn't fully operational yet. I'm not worrying until actual owners get their cars. I still consider all these employee vehicles to be live beta testing, which would be concerning for other companies, but not with Tesla because of the OTA update abilities.

Audio sources dependent on cellular/WiFi connection.......should not be the primary

I agree, didn't mean to imply that. Just a preference of use when good signals are there.

Way more likely to work when streaming doesn't

I drive in the mountains a lot, I couldn't agree more.

at least in California there are many low-power AM stations broadcasting road/traffic/safety information. These will NEVER be on TuneIn.

Most AM stations out here seem to be on tune-in. I don't know about their power level/other parts of the nation. Interesting point.

With all this talk about streaming...I got some question regarding LTE:
  • Is LTE free for the life of the car?
    • If not, what are the costs for LTE?
    • If one doesnt want to pay for LTE...what functionality does one loose.
  • Anyway to tether the car to your phone and use your phones LTE connection?

Reactions: Falkirk
Is LTE free for the life of the car?
Nope
If not, what are the costs for LTE?
Unknown. Probably AT&T rates
If one doesnt want to pay for LTE...what functionality does one loose.
Internet radio, nav updates on the road, connectivity with the app, potentially software updates (when not connected to wi-fi) etc.
Anyway to tether the car to your phone and use your phones LTE connection?
Yes, however it won't help the app connectivity while you're away.

Last edited:
With all this talk about streaming...I got some question regarding LTE:
  • Is LTE free for the life of the car?
    • If not, what are the costs for LTE?
    • If one doesnt want to pay for LTE...what functionality does one loose.
  • Anyway to tether the car to your phone and use your phones LTE connection?

Tesla has not said. They started a 4 year countdown of "included" LTE on the Model S/X but I don't know that any owner has ever been hit up to buy a plan.

It's in Tesla's interest for these cars to be on LTE all the time as it allows for collection of diagnostic data, helps with training AP and allows for seamless FW upgrades. People can't be bothered to BT pair their iPhone on their new Mercedes instead holding it up to their ear while driving around so chance they pair their Tesla to their home WiFi equally low.

My guess is that Tesla will eventually charge for it, but only if they feel that there's no risk to them of an owner foregoing a data plan and going "off grid" with their Tesla... right now that would cause Tesla headaches so they won't do it.

They also might start charging for a data plan for the car if they introduce the ability for people to hot spot the car from their mobile phone, then they are giving them an option.