Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Media Mistake - False] No FM, Bluetooth, or USB Audio either?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, it does none of that. The bluetooth controls are pretty basic.

Crap, didn't realize it's been 5 years of no movement on USB controls. I was hoping it would come soon enough as a bridge until their streaming comes along. My thinking is that if they're planning on making their own streaming service, they're not going to put manpower towards fleshing out the existing streaming options and/or make deals to add others onto the cars until they get their own service up and running. Making a bridge option more necessary. That and it's been long enough to figure out how to do USB controls.

I, and lots of other iPhone owners, own a lot of music on iTunes. Normally, there's a convenience to that. I guess that convenience just turned into a huge hassle with Tesla.

Last edited:
Crap, didn't realize it's been 5 years of no movement on USB controls. I was hoping it would come soon enough as a bridge until their streaming comes along. My thinking is that if they're planning on making their own streaming service, they're not going to put manpower towards fleshing out the existing streaming options and/or make deals to add others onto the cars until they get their own service up and running. Making a bridge option more necessary. That and it's been long enough to figure out how to do USB controls.

I, and lots of other iPhone owners, own a lot of music on iTunes. Normally, there's a convenience to that. I guess that convenience just turned into a huge hassle with Tesla.

But iTunes music isn't DRMed. I have all my music navigable on a USB stick. I find that much more convenient than having to hook up my phone to USB.

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
Here's a question for current owners. My phone is paired with my current car. Quite often my son will play music from his iPhone using the aux jack in my car. Since there is no aux in the model 3 I'll let him pair his phone and play music. My question is if the current Tesla implementation lets multiple phones be connected at once for receiving phone calls and streaming media. So that if we're listening to his music I can still get a call over BT in the car. I know there are some that allow that and others that only give it to one phone at a time.

Reactions: crackers8199
But iTunes music isn't DRMed. I have all my music navigable on a USB stick. I find that much more convenient than having to hook up my phone to USB.

Depends for me on if it can do things like handle playlists, shuffle them, etc.

For years now I've relied completely on my iPhone for carting my personal music collection around. It's organized into playlists and in the BMW I just choose the playlist I want to listen to and put it on random. If I disconnect the phone and reconnect it later the iDrive system remembers where I was at in my playlist and it just resumes.

Now I totally understand that many drivers just want to "listen to the radio" when they are in the car whether that is via streaming or FM, but that's not all of us. Tesla doesn't even support Spotify which is, by far, the most popular streaming music service in the world.

Not sure if this is in "dealbreaker" category for me, but this is a pretty big letdown.

What people don't appreciate is that Tesla would have to account for USB protocol differences between iDevices and Android devices. They behave way differently when connected to a USB port.

My 2012 Ford Mustang and my wife’s 2016 Jeep Cherokee handle playing music off of both Android and iOS devices connected via USB with almost no issues. If this is possible with my over 6 year old Mustang then there really isn’t any excuse for Tesla not to have streaming music via USB from an Android or iOS device. If the Bluetooth streaming works well though then I’ll be happy to live with that.

My 2012 Ford Mustang and my wife’s 2016 Jeep Cherokee handle playing music off of both Android and iOS devices connected via USB with almost no issues. If this is possible with my over 6 year old Mustang then there really isn’t any excuse for Tesla not to have streaming music via USB from an Android or iOS device. If the Bluetooth streaming works well though then I’ll be happy to live with that.
I can tell you BT streaming works very well, at least in the MS.

What people don't appreciate is that Tesla would have to account for USB protocol differences between iDevices and Android devices. They behave way differently when connected to a USB port.

I did. I assumed they had gotten it working on the S and were working on fixing it for the X and 3. The X has been out for a couple of years now, which I thought was a reasonable amount of time to figure it out. Apparently not and phone audio controls are going to be a never arriving "soon" feature like rain sensing wipers.

Unless you want to be able to select what it's playing.
Oh, you want your entire song CATALOG on the phone, over BT. I'm talking about controlling the playback - last track, next track, pause - and album art on the display.

You seem to be claiming that you can select, any song, genre, playlist, or artist from your phone's memory, on the screen of your car.

Which vehicles do what you're asking via BT?

Last edited:
Oh, you want your entire song CATALOG on the phone, over BT. I'm talking about controlling the playback - last track, next track, pause - and album art on the display.

Which vehicles do what you're asking via BT?

Our BMW i3, Toyota Sienna, and VW GTI can all do that easily for both our Android phones and our iPad. I was surprised by the lack of ability to do that in our X.

• Informative
Reactions: M0DEL³
Our BMW i3, Toyota Sienna, and VW GTI can all do that easily for both our Android phones and our iPad. I was surprised by the lack of ability to do that in our X.
I'll have to check that out. I know that was NOT true of my 2014 Prius Plug In Advanced. Just checked the Toyota website:

Audio Streaming

The audio system enables users to enjoy audio played on a Bluetooth®-compatible portable player or smartphone from the vehicle's speakers via wireless communication. 40

Note: "Press" refers to a physical button on your phone or the multimedia system faceplate. "Touch" refers to a button, command or menu drawn on the display touch-screen.

04_Streaming_Bluetooth_Audio.jpg

1. Press the AUDIO button on the faceplate
  2. Touch Source
  3. Touch Bluetooth® Audio icon (If a Bluetooth® audio device is not connected, connecting Bluetooth® audio screen will automatically appear. Click here to learn how to connect a Bluetooth® device.)
  4. If the Bluetooth®-capable audio device is paired and connected, audio will begin playing automatically
  5. Touch Select Device if no device is connected
  6. Select the Bluetooth® device to play from and then select Connect All or Connect as an Audio Player to start using that device
  7. Touch || to pause the track
  8. Touch > to resume playing the track
  9. Press and release the ∧ SEEK/∨ TRACK button to move forward or back to the next track
  10. Touch the speaker icon and Sound button to change the sound setup
Please let me know where you see all the music content (files, playlist, genre) from your phone on the car's display. You may be correct, but I haven't seen anything like that functionality (unless you are talking Android Auto and Apple CarPlay).