Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media outlets really think that only certain markets want EVs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I can't wait for the Model 3 to come out so that the proliferation of EVs in Texas, Alabama and Michigan will prove them wrong.

FROM THE ARTICLE LINKED TO BELOW:
"The results point out that while some dealerships do go above and beyond to sell plug-in models, many are simply deciding it’s not worth the time or effort. And they beg a reality check: If you were a Chevy dealer in Texas, would you stock Volts? Or Silverados?

Some of the conclusions of the organization’s Rev Up EVs survey and report point to greater issues facing automakers as they try to market and sell such models. Electric cars remain a tough sell to those outside a relatively narrow, self-selected group of buyers concentrated along the West Coast and in the urban Northeast—those who lock on to EVs’ green credentials and aren’t fazed by things like a limited range, a somewhat higher price, or an often low resale value."

Some Dealerships Don’t Really Want to Sell You an Electric Car

...I can't wait for the Model 3 to come out so that the proliferation of EVs in Texas, Alabama and Michigan will prove them wrong.

FROM THE ARTICLE LINKED TO BELOW:
"The results point out that while some dealerships do go above and beyond to sell plug-in models, many are simply deciding it’s not worth the time or effort. And they beg a reality check: If you were a Chevy dealer in Texas, would you stock Volts? Or Silverados?

Some of the conclusions of the organization’s Rev Up EVs survey and report point to greater issues facing automakers as they try to market and sell such models. Electric cars remain a tough sell to those outside a relatively narrow, self-selected group of buyers concentrated along the West Coast and in the urban Northeast—those who lock on to EVs’ green credentials and aren’t fazed by things like a limited range, a somewhat higher price, or an often low resale value."

Some Dealerships Don’t Really Want to Sell You an Electric Car
I'm sure you just picked some random states for your example, but I don't expect the Model 3 to sell like hotcakes in Michigan. Our dealership laws pretty much only let Tesla install superchargers in the state. They can't have stores or galleries, and they are forbidden from doing most forms of service on the vehicle in the state (as is any other manufacturer). Sure, there are some people like me who drove to Cleveland to put in a reservation, but I have to say that the lack of service is a concern for me. I know it's not Tesla's fault, but it's still a reality that I will have to deal with.

I know that Tesla does all sorts of backflips to take care of its Model S and X owners, but I doubt they will be able to do that for Model 3 owners simply because they aren't making as much money off of the sale. I know Tesla is trying to get in to the Michigan market, but the barriers to entry are so severe I doubt they will sell to many of them here which will put a big damper on people even getting to see the car.

Texas has similar, but less severe, restrictions -- I believe they are allowed galleries where they can show the car but aren't actually allowed to sell them. Either way, you'd have to be a pretty die-hard fan to decide to buy a Tesla.

I'm sure you just picked some random states for your example, but I don't expect the Model 3 to sell like hotcakes in Michigan. Our dealership laws pretty much only let Tesla install superchargers in the state. They can't have stores or galleries, and they are forbidden from doing most forms of service on the vehicle in the state (as is any other manufacturer). Sure, there are some people like me who drove to Cleveland to put in a reservation, but I have to say that the lack of service is a concern for me. I know it's not Tesla's fault, but it's still a reality that I will have to deal with.

I know that Tesla does all sorts of backflips to take care of its Model S and X owners, but I doubt they will be able to do that for Model 3 owners simply because they aren't making as much money off of the sale. I know Tesla is trying to get in to the Michigan market, but the barriers to entry are so severe I doubt they will sell to many of them here which will put a big damper on people even getting to see the car.

Texas has similar, but less severe, restrictions -- I believe they are allowed galleries where they can show the car but aren't actually allowed to sell them. Either way, you'd have to be a pretty die-hard fan to decide to buy a Tesla.

I actually chose Texas, Alabama and Michigan purposefully, and explicitly for the reasons that you alluded to. I believe that when Michigan and Texas, in particular, have thriving Tesla communities, all of the states (and ICE Manufacturers) will fall in line.

I believe that there will be a large number of people who will get the 3 in MI and even more in TX (which has several service centers). Peoples' eyes are going to be opened up and I can't wait!

You guys remember when people thought the internet was just for nerds?

I'm in Virginia , a state I would say is neutral to negative on EV's. Plenty of people could afford a model S here but ther are not all that many in my area. I think the model 3 will clearly be more popular being priced better and being a great looking car. I think as EV enthusiasts we are willing to accept compromises the general car buying public won't.
Case in point the Leaf, ( I owned one for 4 years) , focus EV , spark. These just are not compelling cars, they are EV's .
My point is I think many here tend to overestimate current interest. I work in a dealership here and there is virtually zero interest in EV's expressed by customers. It's going to take some time, compelling beautiful high performance cars (model 3) and a slow shift in public perception of EV's. That or another oil embargo.

• Informative
Reactions: deonb and Red Sage
I work in a dealership here and there is virtually zero interest in EV's expressed by customers.
Having said that, there isn't a product sold by any dealership I would consider visiting and finding more information on, so while other car companies don't participate or put out sub-par product their dealers aren't going to be questioned about EVs. I've been a serial Honda owner for example, but in their range there's nothing compelling to bring me to a dealership today or in the next few years.

Reactions: Red Sage
Yeah I agree , we don't get questions because customers know we have no product. Obviously the Tesla stores had and continue to have lots of interested customers , lined up as they were with me in March.
Compelling beautifully designed great performing products are what all mfrs need to offer. EV or ice.

Interesting reading ... New EV study praises Tesla, BMW & Nissan for nationwide availability, shames Honda & Toyota

ev-availability-us.png

With recent studies showing electric vehicles would cover the needs of the vast majority of car owners in the US, nationwide availability of electric vehicles has never been more important. A new study from the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) paints an interesting picture of EV availability in the US, praising Tesla, BMW and Nissan for their nationwide availability, and shaming Honda and Toyota for their little effort in making plug-in vehicles available.

As you can see in the picture above, the study also clearly illustrates the efficiency of ZEV mandates in making EVs available in their markets, with California still being the clear leader. The number in each state represents the number of EV models available for sales in the state. UCS breaks down the main automakers in “leaders” and “laggards”:

THE LEADERS
  • BMW has made a major commitment to electrification, and its EV sales reflect that. BMW leads all major automakers in EVs sales as a proportion of total sales: more than 3 percent across the United States and topping 7 percent in California.
  • General Motors, with the Chevrolet Volt, and Nissan, with the LEAF, were early leaders in developing and selling EVs. The Volt is the top-selling plug-in hybrid EV, and the LEAF is the top-selling battery EV since 2010.
  • Tesla is a leader among automakers, producing only EVs. It was the top-selling EV carmaker in 2015 and its upcoming Model 3 has attracted unprecedented interest.
THE LAGGARDS
  • Honda currently offers no plug–in electric vehicles in the United States. Even when the company did sell EVs here, its efforts lagged behind those of other automakers. Honda’s total EV sales in the United States since 2011 are lower than General Motors’ EV sales in a single month (April 2016).
  • While Toyota is a leader in hybrid-vehicle technology, it lags in deploying plug-in electric vehicles. Toyota had success in selling the Prius Plug-in, but the company removed the model from the market and currently has no plug-in EV for sale in this country.

I actually chose Texas, Alabama and Michigan purposefully, and explicitly for the reasons that you alluded to. I believe that when Michigan and Texas, in particular, have thriving Tesla communities, all of the states (and ICE Manufacturers) will fall in line.

I believe that there will be a large number of people who will get the 3 in MI and even more in TX (which has several service centers). Peoples' eyes are going to be opened up and I can't wait!

You guys remember when people thought the internet was just for nerds?
I agree with the thesis you put forward in your first paragraph, if there were a thriving Tesla community in Michigan, the other states would fall in line. My concern is more with your second paragraph -- I'm pretty sure most Michiganders don't even know Tesla exits, or, if they've heard of it, they think it's some sort of exotic import (that at least is the impression I get talking with my students and neighbors, anyway). With all the hurdles to ownership here, buying a Tesla is really a political act, not just a purchase of a compelling vehicle. Without changes to our laws, I have a really hard time seeing how Tesla is going to build enough critical mass to get any kind of decent market penetration. Heck, this last year, Tesla passed up their only chance each year to bring the car into the state (the North American International Auto Show) citing that they wouldn't sell enough vehicles to make it worth their while.

I also don't see our laws changing anytime soon -- I talked with a former state legislator, and he explained that although the auto dealers will, at best, give you a token donation, if you say anything against them or vote against them, they will throw ungodly sums of money to fund your opponent, regardless of political party (he also gave our liquor distributors as another example).

I really hope you're right and I'm wrong about this, but absent federal legislation or a Supreme Court ruling in Tesla's favor, I don't see how this is ever going to change. Tesla was making noises about a federal suit, but they seem to have dropped that for now, so I'm resigning myself to road trips to Cleveland (6 hour round trip for me) if I need service. It just ticks me off that the reciprocal agreement that Ohio and Michigan have means that Michigan will still get to collect my sales tax. I'd sooner pay the extra 1% to Ohio than see Michigan get a dime out of a deal they're doing everything short of roadblocks on the state line to block.

I'm pretty sure most Michiganders don't even know Tesla exits, or, if they've heard of it, they think it's some sort of exotic import (that at least is the impression I get talking with my students and neighbors, anyway).
There was an episode of the show 'TRUE BLOOD' where locals (in Louisiana) attacked someone who drove a 'fancy, foreign car'... It was a Corvette. I just laughed, and laughed. I'm certain the same attitude exists regarding the Model S.

Heck, this last year, Tesla passed up their only chance each year to bring the car into the state (the North American International Auto Show) citing that they wouldn't sell enough vehicles to make it worth their while.
Tesla Motors used to show cars at NAIAS, years ago, when all they had was the Roadster. I believe they showed the Model S Prototype there as well. But they have become aware of two things... 1) Such auto shows are run by dealership organizations; and 2) Michigan State law does not allow automobile manufacturers to attend such events unless they are specifically doing so to promote sales through 'independent franchised dealerships'. Tesla has no need to court those guys at all. None.

I also don't see our laws changing anytime soon -- I talked with a former state legislator, and he explained that although the auto dealers will, at best, give you a token donation, if you say anything against them or vote against them, they will throw ungodly sums of money to fund your opponent, regardless of political party (he also gave our liquor distributors as another example).
What amazes me is how the representatives of 'independent franchised dealerships' keep saying they want everyone to play by the same rules... Then they change the rules to make sure they are not what they had been for decades. Sometimes it seems elected officials are in place only to see who will come through to buy them off.

I really hope you're right and I'm wrong about this, but absent federal legislation or a Supreme Court ruling in Tesla's favor, I don't see how this is ever going to change. Tesla was making noises about a federal suit, but they seem to have dropped that for now, so I'm resigning myself to road trips to Cleveland (6 hour round trip for me) if I need service. It just ticks me off that the reciprocal agreement that Ohio and Michigan have means that Michigan will still get to collect my sales tax. I'd sooner pay the extra 1% to Ohio than see Michigan get a dime out of a deal they're doing everything short of roadblocks on the state line to block.
I believe that Tesla Motors has attempted a multipronged attack on the issue.

Tesla’s Michigan dealership license at a standstill, considers suing the state

GM successfully blocked Tesla’s effort to directly sell electric vehicles in Connecticut

Tesla is ready to bring direct sales challenge to federal court with the help of monks

Reactions: lklundin
Sometimes it seems elected officials are in place only to see who will come through to buy them off.
The politicos will get religion when the hordes of Model 3 owners start writing them letters. The days of discreetly jumping into the dealership back pockets are numbered.

There is actually an interesting irony in this: the only reason dealerships could buy politicos so easily is because very few people cared. That will still be true in the future but the reverse effect will be in play as two groups of voters will exist: the majority that do not care, and a voting block that do. Watch as the pendulum magically swings to 'free market competition' in short order.

Last edited:
I checked the article, and I have no idea what the numbers are for...?

The number in each state represents the number of EV models available for sales in the state.

Here ya' go, pulled it out of the article. It took me a minute to notice it. And I didn't know there were 5 different EVs available in AL. I know the Leaf is, the Volt {gets credit for being an EV though it is a EREV}, and in theory, the Focus EV. I contacted Ford and asked them where the nearest FFE was for me to test drive. They responded with the dealerships name in South Carolina. The Ford PHEV twins are also available in AL. I've seen a few Tesla Model S around, but don't know how they were procured.

• Helpful
I'm in Virginia , a state I would say is neutral to negative on EV's. Plenty of people could afford a model S here but there are not all that many in my area..

Maybe not many Tesla's in rural Warrenton but plenty in Northern Virginia overall. I see 5 to 6 every day on my commute to work. 2 of my co workers own a Model S as well as 2 other in the our office building alone.