Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media outlets really think that only certain markets want EVs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live on the West side of Cleveland and, outside of the showroom, I've only seen 3 Teslas ... ever. There is blue MS, I can't remember the badging, I've seen it West bound on the turnpike a few times, it gets off at my exit. Then there was one on the road by the airport and another in the parking lot at Blossom music center after a recent concert.

I'm hoping that changes when the M3 comes out!!

It takes a while for the idea to gain acceptance ... :cool:

Infographic: Tesla Motors and the history of the electric car

HistoryOfElectricCar640-v01.jpg

I'm sure you just picked some random states for your example, but I don't expect the Model 3 to sell like hotcakes in Michigan. Our dealership laws pretty much only let Tesla install superchargers in the state. They can't have stores or galleries, and they are forbidden from doing most forms of service on the vehicle in the state (as is any other manufacturer). Sure, there are some people like me who drove to Cleveland to put in a reservation, but I have to say that the lack of service is a concern for me. I know it's not Tesla's fault, but it's still a reality that I will have to deal with.

I know that Tesla does all sorts of backflips to take care of its Model S and X owners, but I doubt they will be able to do that for Model 3 owners simply because they aren't making as much money off of the sale. I know Tesla is trying to get in to the Michigan market, but the barriers to entry are so severe I doubt they will sell to many of them here which will put a big damper on people even getting to see the car.

Texas has similar, but less severe, restrictions -- I believe they are allowed galleries where they can show the car but aren't actually allowed to sell them. Either way, you'd have to be a pretty die-hard fan to decide to buy a Tesla.
I think when these officials in these states have wives, husbands, kids, cousins and friends that have Teslas they'll cozy up to the idea of letting Tesla service and sell in their states. Until they have a vested interest in Tesla it's foreign and new to them.