Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Player USB and Search 2020.44 on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Since 44.x added searching media sources, I still haven’t cracked searches for USB.
I probably need a hard reset but reading the release notes shows a + presumably for adding a source.
Interestingly USB isn’t in my list of sources and there is no + sign.
Selecting USB shows all my music and I can touch any track to play it.
Does USB appear in anyone’s source list and do searches work?

Reactions: Karlcole
Got it this morning but haven't used. Based on the notes I don't expect much difference to 44.15

Yes for both (& since 44.15 I think)
Interesting. I’ll check what the partition is called. It’s odd that the music displays and plays but USB doesn’t appear in the search options nor have I an option to add it.
My music is in folders straight out of iTunes but I don’t think that’s an issue.
I did a hard reset but that made no difference.
On the same SSD drive, dashcam & sentry work fine

I have two USB's one includes the Sentry folder + a music folder and the other is purely music. All are FLAC files and USB is shown on my media shortlist alongside Spotify, Radio etc (click on USB & both separate drives then appear below). Searching finds music files from either USB and/or Spotify.

I always do a +40 sec hard reboot (inc brake pedal) after an update including 44.25 today so maybe that helped.

I have two USB's one includes the Sentry folder + a music folder and the other is purely music. All are FLAC files and USB is shown on my media shortlist alongside Spotify, Radio etc (click on USB & both separate drives then appear below). Searching finds music files from either USB and/or Spotify.

I always do a +40 sec hard reboot (inc brake pedal) after an update including 44.25 today so maybe that helped.
I did the 40 sec hard reboot this morning after 44.25.
Mine are mostly mp3’s but there are a few flac’s. Maybe individual artist folders are a problem

Under audio options/sources, does USB show on yours?

Mine are mostly mp3’s but there are a few flac’s. Maybe individual artist folders are a problem

I'll have a check tomorrow. Ours is a Thursday car so I'm expecting the .25 update o_O wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy to predict...

I've got a 128GB dedicated drive of mostly (quite possibly exclusively) FLACs. I can never recall an instance where search found a FLAC, even with the new search filter. Will do a longer test when the upgrade comes through especially as @Drew57 said that it should work.

Its quite possibly how the media is organised. I need to double check but it should be artist/album but I think there may be a higher level folder. tbh, it shouldn't make any difference what the folder layout is, but from experience, some media players can be a little fickle if its not exactly what they expect.

Reactions: Washout
Maybe individual artist folders are a problem

Yes under audio options/sources USB is listed. All music consists of individual albums in folders but everything has been tagged by the Jaikoz MacOS app which I've used for many years - song title, artist, album, track no, track total, genre, year, album art (Synology NAS at home has FLAC, ALAC or 320mp3, AAC music files & those on the USBs are extracted from there).

Last edited:
I just checked this behaviour whilst waiting for 2020.44.25 to finish download.

Odd behaviour of the audio source selection and no mention of USB, even though USB at that time was playing. I will check whether the current source playing has an effect on its visibility another time.

The odd behaviour best described in this brief video.

As for USB search, whilst not conclusive, I am pretty sure that non of my searches returned anything from USB. This is indicated by the source seemingly to be a Spotify source and when turning Spotify off, I got a completely different set of search results - just an observation that search was also much faster in this situation.

A small lag in returning some results and same with album art. Difficult to be certain whether I was seeing USB or Spotify media being played. If Spotify, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the breadth of its content and also, it didn't sound too bad even with rain/sleet on the roof which prevented a definite A/B test - I think Spotify was playing but that may just have been a bias.

A final observation. Voice search was pretty good with high level of matching.

I shall repeat with 2020.44.25

For reference, my USB folder structure is below with artists and tracks a level down further than I remembered. Media files are FLAC with full metadata including iirc track based album art - I need to double check that. Thats another one that catches some media players out - album art at folder level not track level.

Music / CD / <artist> / <album> / <tracks>
System Volume Information

[edit]had previously omitted <album>

Last edited:
I just checked this behaviour whilst waiting for 2020.44.25 to finish download.

Odd behaviour of the audio source selection and no mention of USB, even though USB at that time was playing. I will check whether the current source playing has an effect on its visibility another time.

The odd behaviour best described in this brief video.

As for USB search, whilst not conclusive, I am pretty sure that non of my searches returned anything from USB. This is indicated by the source seemingly to be a Spotify source and when turning Spotify off, I got a completely different set of search results - just an observation that search was also much faster in this situation.

A small lag in returning some results and same with album art. Difficult to be certain whether I was seeing USB or Spotify media being played. If Spotify, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the breadth of its content and also, it didn't sound too bad even with rain/sleet on the roof which prevented a definite A/B test - I think Spotify was playing but that may just have been a bias.

A final observation. Voice search was pretty good with high level of matching.

For reference, my USB folder structure is below with artists and tracks a level down further than I remembered. Media files are FLAC with full metadata including iirc track based album art - I need to double check that. Thats another one that catches some media players out - album art at folder level not track level.

Music / CD / <artist> / <tracks>
System Volume Information
I’m already on 44.25. Searching hasn’t changed from pre 44 software
Your sources page is the same as mine and exhibits the same strange behaviour. I can’t think why selecting one source might grey out others. Also like me, you haven’t got the add source + symbol.
Even if I turn off Spotify as a source, searches mainly bring up Spotify results.

my file structure is I believe Music/artist/album/tracks. I do have some loose tracks just in the main music folder.I think I posted earlier that most files are mp3.

As you say, much the same under .25.

No sign of USB track art work, or at least, I gave up waiting if there was anyone.
And no sign of search on USB - "play a kind of magic by queen" bought up some weird rendition from spotify.

Search seemed faster even with spotify, but that may be down to not doing a simultaneous software download.

Something I did notice, as it was first play after a reboot, was that I caught the tail end of the USB drive being indexed dialog. That was progressing at a nice rate of knots even on a pretty full 128GB dedicated Micro SD card.

My take.
USB needs a bit of love:
search
album art next to track playing
and if possible album art next to track in all the listings - but I accept that this may use up significant amounts of RAM

But it does seem better than a year ago.

Not tried gapless playback, high res material or leaving it enabled 24/7. iirc there was an issue with it forgetting where it had got up to. Its not my car, so normally leave it set up for swmbo who has it on radio.

...it didn't sound too bad even with rain/sleet on the roof which prevented a definite A/B test - I think Spotify was playing but that may just have been a bias.

Although I have a lot of USB FLAC files these are mainly for when I'm alone in the car.

The Spotify playlist is full of material we both like & tends to be at the more melodic end of the spectrum whereas my tastes are wider ranging & lean towards Hard Rock-Blues-Prog-Electronica-Dub.

Spotify via premium audio is very acceptable but playing a few tracks back-to-back vs Spotify do show up the difference in sound quality quite starkly (eg FLAC versions of 'Lets Groove' by Earth Wind And Fire with smoother highs and tighter bass or anything from 'Texas Flood' by Stevie Ray Vaughan, especially 'Tin Pan Alley' with delicate percussion that can be goose bump inducing - when road noise doesn't intervene)

As you say, much the same under .25.

No sign of USB track art work, or at least, I gave up waiting if there was anyone.
And no sign of search on USB - "play a kind of magic by queen" bought up some weird rendition from spotify.

Search seemed faster even with spotify, but that may be down to not doing a simultaneous software download.

Something I did notice, as it was first play after a reboot, was that I caught the tail end of the USB drive being indexed dialog. That was progressing at a nice rate of knots even on a pretty full 128GB dedicated Micro SD card.

My take.
USB needs a bit of love:
search
album art next to track playing
and if possible album art next to track in all the listings - but I accept that this may use up significant amounts of RAM

But it does seem better than a year ago.

Not tried gapless playback, high res material or leaving it enabled 24/7. iirc there was an issue with it forgetting where it had got up to. Its not my car, so normally leave it set up for swmbo who has it on radio.
Haven’t seen indexing occurring.
Coincidentally, I asked for the same Queen track on USB that you did and got a similar result.
As we’re in for cold wet weekend I might have a play with it.

Reactions: MrBadger
Now that my premium connectivity has ended I just wanted to re-energise this thread to find out what I and seemingly a lot of others are doing wrong.

so: my music shares the same SSD as dashcam/sentry. The drive is properly formatted and partitioned. Despite numerous updates dashcam, sentry and viewer all work fine and have never missed a beat. Music playback selected manually works fine. All my my music is visible.

USB fails to show up as a media source that I can add in audio search settings and voice control searches everywhere but.
I now realise that since installing the SSD last May, I’ve only unplugged it once to put a hub in, and that was fairly recent. So unplugging hasn’t made a difference.
I have some loose flac and mp3 files but otherwise everything is in artist folders then by album. They are basically as stored in finder for music on my imac and copied to USB.

Has anyone successfully found a way to force search on USB where it’s partitioned or does it only work where a separate USB has music only?

Since 44.x added searching media sources, I still haven’t cracked searches for USB.
I probably need a hard reset but reading the release notes shows a + presumably for adding a source.
Interestingly USB isn’t in my list of sources and there is no + sign.
Selecting USB shows all my music and I can touch any track to play it.
Does USB appear in anyone’s source list and do searches work?
i have the same issue as you do on my model 3 since the holiday update.