Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Playlists - I'm surely missing something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
What exactly does clicking the blue "+ music note" icon do in the media app?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361217866.986076.jpg

It only seems to update the (Slacker) station showing up in the list brought down by what looks like a Playlist icon in the top right corner but, there's no real playlist there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361218239.419086.jpg

But, when I search for and go back to a song that I had 'playlisted' before, the "+ music note" icon does show up blue rather than white so, the playlist is being stored somewhere for sure.

What am I missing? Btw, I have the standard audio system rather than the sound studio if that makes a difference.

The Owner's Guide is no help here with its limited one-page entry on the Media Player.

(Didn't probe the DS on this during delivery; pretended to know everything :sheepish:)

I love this tool!
It does pretty much what Ave suggested and a little more.
Basically, it not only tells Slacker that you like that song, Slacker will then play songs more often based on what other songs people like that have added the same song as a favorite.

When I first started listening to the '80s, 90s and today' station I got about half of the songs I liked, and fewer that I marked as favorite. Currently when I play that channel I like the vast majority of the songs and here my favorites quite often.

I also have discovered a lot of songs I had never heard before that I really really like:)

The heart with a plus will add the station to your favorites. The plain gray heart icon is where this list is stored. The music note with the plus will tell Slacker that you like that song. It will play more often and the qualities that that song contains (many factors go into this) will allow Slacker to play songs with similar qualities in the future. The block button will prevent the song from playing again on that channel.

Until Playlists are supported in the software - a workaround might be to use the "folder" view in the media browser. Copy the files you want on your playlist into a separate USB drive folder - and then add a prefix onto the file names to sort them in the order you want. A separate folder for each playlist should work.

This will probably mess up the other views if you have multiple copies of the same song on the USB drive - since the other views may list the song multiple times - but once playlists are supported - then you can just delete the playlist folders.

Related question. Since im compiling all of these playlist "likes" on the trial tesla account, what happens when my 3 month trial ends and i have to get my own account if i want to continue using slacker? Do i have to start again from scratch? Will it somehow convert?

Related question. Since im compiling all of these playlist "likes" on the trial tesla account, what happens when my 3 month trial ends and i have to get my own account if i want to continue using slacker? Do i have to start again from scratch? Will it somehow convert?

Related question/comment.

The like and dislike button are tied to the account. The trial account is under user Tesla Motors. Will liking and disliking really matter since people all over (in model S) all have diff opinions?

This can only work if everyone has their own unique login and password (ie..there own slacker account).

Having said that...I have noticed the same. If I like a song...it comes up on the radio station more often. If I dislike the song it immediately skips to the next song and doesn't play it again in the future. It is also CHANNEL specific though. So disliking Brittney Spears song on the pop station does NOT prevent it from showing up on the Dance music station (this is a made up example....).

Thx for the link comparing pandora/spotify/slacker. Conceptually they are all the same. The key is whatever algorithm they use. Pandora in my experience is better than slacker. I often just Bluetooth stream pandora from my iphone5.