Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media quick-nav at inappropriate times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dflye

S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814
Oct 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Anyone out there other than me ran into this Media app display quirk for albums with a ton of tracks?

Album in question for me is "Apollo 18" by They Might Be Giants, which weighs in at 38 tracks.

In the Media app, it is showing the alphabetic section headers, even though the tracks are listed numerically. This results in it displaying the headers for common letters over and over again.

Got here by selecting the USB drive, then Artists, then the artist TMBG, then the album Apollo 18.

Artist selection list:
IMG_1655.jpg

Tracks 1 through 10 (with several repeated header letters like D and S and two cases where 2 tracks in a row start with the same letter):
IMG_1653.jpg

Tracks 30 through 38 (with more repeated headers and another case where 2 tracks in a row start with the same letter)
IMG_1654.jpg

Weird. Looks like its sorting them in numerical order, but trying to display them under the heading of the first letter instead of using the #. Report it?
Yeah, I sent the info on to Tesla as well as posting here, was curious if it was a one-of issue, or if anyone else had seen such behavior.

Listing them in numerical order is expected for the view I was in (started with selecting USB drive, then "Artists", then the artist "They Might Be Giants", then the album "Apollo 18"). The added alpha-headers / quick-nav doesn't make sense in this context.

I suggested that it either not attempt to use the alphabetic headers / quick-nav strip in the situation of an album with an excessive number of tracks, or omit the alphabetic headers and just have the quick-nav strip by track #, whether that means showing each track number individually in the nav strip or batched together like 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc.

Realized I hadn't browsed to the same album using the new "By Folder" option.

Interestingly enough, the display behavior for that is somewhat better, but still a bit odd.

In that case, it had a single header (that didn't show up for any other folder I browsed) displaying "123".

It also had the quick-nav strip on the right side, but using that didn't actually scroll the list from my testing.

Guessing that is because I have my iTunes library setup to prefix the audio files in the filesystem with the track number, so as far as the Media app is concerned in "By Folder" mode, everything belongs under the "123" header for tracks with a non-alphabetic initial character.

Apologies for the crappy cell phone photo without the flash, but it is mostly legible:
IMG_1659.jpg

They Might Be Giants is breaking my Tesla! I can confirm that Apollo 18 shows up the same on my screen, as do the Then: the Early Years discs. I'm guessing that it adds header rows to any list that has something like 30+ entries, thinking that no one would want to scroll through a list that long and that no albumn would have more tracks than that. The Johns proved them wrong! This may become an issue that needs to be addressed soon if the cutoff is lower than 30. Nanobots has 25 tracks and is coming out in a couple of weeks.