Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meet Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take is:

400K orders = worldwide, 140K built = USA market only (and premium model only)

assuming I haven't got wrong-end-of-stick?!

That would make more sense. Although I'm sure the number of US reservations would eclipse all other markets knowing that the car was arriving there a year or more earlier than everywhere else. That 400,000 number was quoted well over a year ago too I believe! Who knows, but it's looking fairly clear that US availability is now more or less in line with an S/X custom order. I really didn't expect that this time last year!

All this bodes well for our chances of getting an M3 in 2019 as I'd mentally resigned myself to it being available in 2020. I guess now it just depends on how they prioritise RHD builds. I expect they will be keen to get a batch out sooner rather than later to effectively promote the M3 in the UK. Obviously these will be high spec models, but I'm thinking or ordering a Performance model anyway. It would be pretty cool to get one by mid 2019 as we desperately want to replace our remaining diesel car!

My view is that a reason for prioritising RHD would be to spread the SC-delivery load across as many EU countries as possible - presumably they all come into the same EU-port-hub ... 1,000 cars all arriving for e.g. just Norway would swamp their SC. But I have no idea what hassle it causes on the production line, so that is more likely to govern whether it is "same time" or "quite a bit later". There was talk that Elon was in a hurry to get M3 into Australian market, that's RHD too of course.

we desperately want to replace our remaining diesel car!

I'd love to ditch our ICE, but its the "journey awkward for BEV" vehicle :( Currently for business trips which would require charge-on-outbound-leg and/or 20-minutes-of-of-way wife and I would use ICE.

Currently she would also use ICE for "tight bay-parking at e.g. Station" ... which M3 might solve, but it ain't exactly small :)

Would also like to get the kids BEV ... but there's bank-of-mum-and-day and .... insane and ludicrous :p

The fact that they've put out their "meet M3" programme in the UK suggests a release must be fairly imminent. But I suppose that could still mean the best part of a year away and subject to unexpected delays etc.

I’m hopeful we might get an invite to configure in April or May with deliveries starting July or August.

Elon said a few months back that it would launch in Europe in the first half of 2019. They appear to be on track with that, possibly even slightly ahead of schedule, so hopefully mid-2019 means July or August rather than December. I guess it depends on what the demand is like in Europe.

Could do with an update, need a car as soon as possible. Trying to hold out but very close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 S60D (upgradable to 75D).

Should have been to all reservation holders that would make way more sense
Doesn't make "way more sense" to me.

Tesla have announced they are going to prioritise sales to existing owners first, given that have subsidised the Model-3 and probably because they will be a more sympathetic, and product-familiar, audience.

Also Tesla would not cope with the deluge of interest if it was "all reservation holders", so basically "no point". Make sense to me as it will be a long time until most of those get a car, particularly anyone wanting the entry-level model. An existing Model-S/X owner with a reservation might expect a car early part of 2019 (maybe continental Europe, with RHD being a bit further delayed). Once the car is available in the UK then all SC will have demonstrators etc. and will cope with doing the promotional side, but until then its just a couple of demo cars and a small audience.
I got the email and i'm not a reservation holder. I used to be one, but am not now.

The fact that they've put out their "meet M3" programme in the UK suggests a release must be fairly imminent. But I suppose that could still mean the best part of a year away and subject to unexpected delays etc.

According to one of the guys in the show room, Tesla UK had to push hard to get the cars - apparently they were all destined for European stores originally. So I don’t think that in itself is a sign of anything I’m afraid.

I think the invites might be mostly on 1. Geographic location to the stores that are showing them and 2. Existing Tesla owner.

I’m a 31 March in store reservation at Tesla Birmingham, non Tesla owner and nothing yet.
Mine was online, 1 year after the unveiling, and subsequently cancelled.
Also, I'm in Coventry and not a Tesla owner.
Maybe they're trying to win me back round! :)

My take is:

400K orders = worldwide, 140K built = USA market only (and premium model only)

assuming I haven't got wrong-end-of-stick?!

As the premium model has more profit (per unit, even if not pure-percentage) then makes sense to me to rollout premium model worldwide, milk that!, use that to increase throughput on production line (towards 500K p.a.) and then use that cost-per-unit reduction to allow production of base-model profitably.

in buying some winter tyres the other day I pondered that making 1,000 M3 a day requires 4,000 tyres ... I presume they don't stock many, but favour just-in-time-delivery ... the space required, and logistics, did my head in, just for the Tyres that were required each day let alone all the other bits and bobs ...

And 7000 model 3 battery packs a week is / will be about 28 million 2170 cells a week!

I'm an M3 reservation holder and non-owner, got the email. Went to Tesla Chiswick today - agree with comments above that it's hard to get a sense without test drive...
Staff there reckoned July for first UK cars, and they suggested it would be only the long-range and performance models until 2020, and financing wouldn't be available initially ("cash only").

When I spoke to them back in the Park Royal store in December they mentioned they would all be released with financing...(I really hope this is the case - there's no way I can afford £50k in cash..!)...

The Westfield store also seems to think that it will be a "matter of weeks" until the UK is invited to configure (based on Europe).

I'd reckon based on the "slowing" sales in Europe (based on delivery figures I think they've cleared the backlog of reservation holders that want an M3, and they've now opened the configurators to non reservation holders in Europe), that we'd be looking at configuring early Feb/March, delivery in June..

Sounds good for getting a Performance M3 by mid 2019. I was mentally thinking late 2019 at best or more likely early-mid 2020. I'd better start saving up! As for finance, I have no doubt there will be options otherwise sales will simply not happen! The only question is how attractive the finance deals will be. Residuals ought to be very strong with initial batch of high end models down the line, so I'm hoping PCP deals will reflect that optimism!

94275AE4-587C-43CE-B0B5-5A7DC9726EF8.jpeg 2F8623C7-C288-4192-9985-B654F39D6617.jpeg 12B16A68-BC5A-424A-8BF8-25C963A47F75.jpeg Went to meet the M3 yesterday and I have to say I’m very glad I didn’t wait for it and went for the MX, which I only did because I was impatience and didn’t think I could afford an MX but man math later.....

It’s tiny... I’m a big guy and the Tesla guide, said Oh your a big one let me put the seat all the way back for you. It was all the way down and back.

As I got in my knees where battling with the steering wheel and once In the driving position felt nice proper sports car like, very low driving position, I definetly have fun in it for about 20mins but with the door closed It felt real small.

Aside from that the car is very nice boot is massive all things considered and I could get use to the display in the middle but after driving an MX the screen looks tiny.

Let’s hope the MY is bigger as that’s what I’m after next unless it’s tiny

View attachment 366748 View attachment 366750 View attachment 366752 Went to meet the M3 yesterday and I have to say I’m very glad I didn’t wait for it and went for the MX, which I only did because I was impatience and didn’t think I could afford an MX but man math later.....

It’s tiny... I’m a big guy and the Tesla guide, said Oh your a big one let me put the seat all the way back for you. It was all the way down and back.

As I got in my knees where battling with the steering wheel and once In the driving position felt nice proper sports car like, very low driving position, I definetly have fun in it for about 20mins but with the door closed It felt real small.

Aside from that the car is very nice boot is massive all things considered and I could get use to the display in the middle but after driving an MX the screen looks tiny.

Let’s hope the MY is bigger as that’s what I’m after next unless it’s tiny

I think we are a bit spoilt for space in the MX! What do you think of the M3 as a second car? Sometimes the MX can be overkill in town when trying to park in tight spaces etc.

I think we are a bit spoilt for space in the MX! What do you think of the M3 as a second car? Sometimes the MX can be overkill in town when trying to park in tight spaces etc.

I know I’m very spoilt in my MX but I do love it. That said I personally wouldn’t have it a second car I did want the wife to get it but she likes little cars

Many will think I’m taking the pi££ but we’ve got a fiat 500 I don’t drive it much but I move it aboubt every now and then and from a leg room point of view I personally have more in the 500 than I did in the M3 I also don’t feel as hemmed in.

I know that sounds mental as fiat 500’s are tiny and a M3, well isn’t. I’ll be test driving one when I get the chance to see if it’s different to drive but just sat in the drivers seat wasn’t great also with the drivers seat all the way back it was almost touching the rear seat so total passenger capacity for a big guy like me would be limited.

I know I’m very spoilt in my MX but I do love it. That said I personally wouldn’t have it a second car I did want the wife to get it but she likes little cars

Many will think I’m taking the pi££ but we’ve got a fiat 500 I don’t drive it much but I move it aboubt every now and then and from a leg room point of view I personally have more in the 500 than I did in the M3 I also don’t feel as hemmed in.

I know that sounds mental as fiat 500’s are tiny and a M3, well isn’t. I’ll be test driving one when I get the chance to see if it’s different to drive but just sat in the drivers seat wasn’t great also with the drivers seat all the way back it was almost touching the rear seat so total passenger capacity for a big guy like me would be limited.

How tall are you? Just to get an idea. I'm 6'1" myself.

I drove an M3 in the U.S. a few months ago and I was quite impressed by the amount of adjustment in the seats and steering wheel. I think most people will find it very comfortable.

The only thing I found slightly annoying was that sometimes the upper part of my leg would hit the trim below the B pillar as I got out. There's a section which sticks out, possibly to accommodate the seat belt reel. The door opening seems smaller than I'm used to in my current 3 series BMW, but I haven't compared measurements. I'm 6ft 1" and at least 15 stone :)