Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Meet Model X: Exclusive Viewing"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is unbelievable that people who have already ordered are being prioritized behind those who haven't. This is the first time I have thought about cancelling my order. If you're reading this people at Tesla, you need to make it right.

Throw on top of that the statement Tesla has made that waiting to configure does not cause you to lose your spot in line. Basically it was a complete waste for me to configure already if that was true. I could have waited until now and gotten my test drive invite and then configure.

I have an order finalized, and a second order not yet invited to configure. I do not have an order invited to configure but not yet completed.

I received my invite at 5PM EST today (Saturday)

Perhaps wait a day and see if an email invitation arrives.

The invite I received looked just like the email from a few days ago "January Model X Update" or something like that. In the first email there were two sections. In this email there was a third section at the bottom with a link to the drive event signup website.

I received the Model X update email yesterday. There was no link to "Meet the X" in the email. I doubled checked again today. Nada, Nothing. Not going to stress, I was at the reveal, with a test ride. Confused, but content. Let those who have not had a chance to see, take the drive.

That makes sense from what I have heard so far. The two persons that mentioned it had reservations but had not ordered/confirmed.

I thought it odd though that those that received the Exclusive viewing invite had already confirmed. I guess it was in hope of calming our nerves. :smile:

It makes sense since their delivery date would be sooner than those who have not ordered yet. This will give them one last chance to corfirm.

It makes sense since their delivery date would be sooner than those who have not ordered yet. This will give them one last chance to corfirm.
At this point I am not sure those that have ordered will get delivery sooner than those that have not for the same configuration. This is a chance for Tesla to do the right thing one last time and let those who delayed because they wanted to see the car in their rightful place in line based on their reservation position.

I will gladly step aside for someone who is ordering right after these events and has a reservation date before mine.

I received the Model X update email yesterday. There was no link to "Meet the X" in the email. I doubled checked again today. Nada, Nothing. Not going to stress, I was at the reveal, with a test ride. Confused, but content. Let those who have not had a chance to see, take the drive.
Yeah, I think that was a different e-mail. The "Model X Update January 2016?" I got that too, with no links to the test drive event.

I found it odd that they skipped Cleveland and Ohio in general. Are there not many reservation holders there?

Ohio might be one of the states Tesla is having problems with. The state might not allow a "test drive event" or getting permits to do it are a bureaucratic nightmare.

- - - Updated - - -

Reservation holder since November 2012, ordered car in December, no invite to event.

Occasionally you need to be pro-active with Tesla. Sometimes just saying you don't want random e-mails from Tesla gets you off the mailing list for events. Call/e-mail your Tesla rep and make it happen.

I really want a Tesla (Model 3), but stories like this are not encouraging. This seems ridiculous for a company proudly claiming excellent customer service.

Non illigitimi carborundum : Translated from Latin: "Don't let the bastards get you down."

Perusing these forums, you will often find very helpful information and A LOT of VERY helpful people. What you will also find mixed in is a fair amount of "internet outrage" over small things that aren't a big problem at all. This can take the form of people complaining about anything and everything whether or not the complaints are legit. TBH, I've pulled back from reading the forums because it can get so damned depressing; people have complained about so many of the things I love and find unique and wonderful about this car's design (falcon wing doors, panoramic windshield, etc.). Just realize that there are a lot of silent lurkers on the forums that are pretty darn happy with the cars and are just tired of getting beaten down by the "YOU IDIOT!!! THE FALCON WING DOORS ARE THE WORST DESIGN MISTAKE IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!" Some of the frustration is VERY understandable! But some of it is truly absurd ("THE CAR IS TOO WIDE!!!!!!").

Is Tesla doing everything right? No, but show me a car company that is. Could Tesla's communication be improved? Yes, absolutely! Will it stop me from buying the fastest and cleanest SUV/CUV on the planet? No.

For newcomers, it's often hard to see the happiness of Tesla ownership through all of the noise, fear, anger, and reckless speculation on the forums sometimes. But don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. Many happy Tesla owners never visit the forums and many never post.

Last edited:
It is unbelievable that people who have already ordered are being prioritized behind those who haven't. This is the first time I have thought about cancelling my order. If you're reading this people at Tesla, you need to make it right.

Throw on top of that the statement Tesla has made that waiting to configure does not cause you to lose your spot in line. Basically it was a complete waste for me to configure already if that was true. I could have waited until now and gotten my test drive invite and then configure.

It isn't that you don't lose your place, it is that if they haven't gotten to your number yet, you don't lose your place. That is an important distinction. Given your relatively low number it likely will benefit your place in line having confirmed your order since there will be a number of people lower than you holding out for one reason or another. They are still holding out by the time your number comes up then they are clearly going to be behind you.

To your other issue, why did you confirm your order if seeing the car was a make or break issue? at a 6k reservation holder I would have thought it would make sense that you would get a chance to see one well before you would have to order to avoid losing your spot. I mean even with a fast ramp, there should be safely a couple cars in the Atlanta area with owners around that would likely be happy to show their cars if Tesla didn't have any available still. Did you feel like they were going to pull your place completely if you didn't confirm your order as soon as it opened?

It isn't that you don't lose your place, it is that if they haven't gotten to your number yet, you don't lose your place. That is an important distinction. Given your relatively low number it likely will benefit your place in line having confirmed your order since there will be a number of people lower than you holding out for one reason or another. They are still holding out by the time your number comes up then they are clearly going to be behind you.

To your other issue, why did you confirm your order if seeing the car was a make or break issue? at a 6k reservation holder I would have thought it would make sense that you would get a chance to see one well before you would have to order to avoid losing your spot. I mean even with a fast ramp, there should be safely a couple cars in the Atlanta area with owners around that would likely be happy to show their cars if Tesla didn't have any available still. Did you feel like they were going to pull your place completely if you didn't confirm your order as soon as it opened?

When I was invited to configure I don't think people had heard yet whether waiting would affect your place in line. I figured it could potentially and they might just go by confirm date in which case I should go ahead and confirm. Also it isn't that seeing the car is make or break, but if the car is going to be here, and they are giving people test drives, I absolutely want to be included in that group. If no test drives were being offered before my delivery date then I wouldn't really have another choice.

...But some of it is truly absurd ("THE CAR IS TOO WIDE!!!!!!").
And don't you hate when forum trolls pick out one small piece of an otherwise excellent post just to dwell on that one issue?

Speaking of which, the width of the car is actually relevant to some folks. :) Living in NYC, our driveway is really tight: about 100 inches wide at its narrowest point. With mirrors extended, the Model X is 89.4" wide, leaving only about 5 inches on each side. So the X is over a foot wider than our 7-passenger Highlander Hybrid. Folding the mirrors gets you back about 8 inches, but there's a really tight corner at the bottom of the driveway, passing between a building wall and our neighbor's car. I'm glad the X has proximity sensors and power folding mirrors. And the Summon feature of AP 7.1 may allow us to let the car navigate the tricky parts. But this is the one thing that my wife is really worried about as it already feels tight getting through the driveway in our narrow little SUV and both mirrors of our current car are already scraped up. We also frequently have to squeeze around double-parked cars in Queens where every inch counts.

So while "THE CAR IS TOO WIDE" might seem like a strange objection, the fact that the X is wider than a Cadillac Escalade (which I wouldn't ever consider buying) is actually relevant to some prospective buyers.

And I didn't quote the rest of your post because I agreed with it. :)

FWIW, got an invite on Saturday morning and promptly made an appointment for Saturday, February 6 in Burbank, CA.

I'm an early reservation holder (~3000), but haven't ordered yet as I have no desire to risk $5k before actually seeing the car.

If anyone gets word on whether 2 kids plus 2 adults might be allowed, I'd appreciate knowing. Otherwise, I might not get to ride in the car myself! (Spouse's likely primary car and we couldn't leave a kid at the service center by himself).

If anyone gets word on whether 2 kids plus 2 adults might be allowed, I'd appreciate knowing. Otherwise, I might not get to ride in the car myself! (Spouse's likely primary car and we couldn't leave a kid at the service center by himself).

If you attempt to go through the registration process again, it will show you a phone number that you can call concerning your event registration. They'd probably be able to answer your questions concerning the number of guests you could bring.