TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Meet up - Kettleman City, CA. Sunday 2/18 10:30 am

Discussion in 'EVents' started by Blu Zap, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

We have a discussion on a separate thread talking about when and where we can meet up in the Western United States. Well, we finalized it. This is an informal gathering of Tesla owners to meet and chat about everything Tesla. At the same time see the amazing new SuperCharger in Kettleman City, CA.

Many of us will be heading back north after this meet-up and have lunch at Harris Ranch. Owners can join us there a little later if they can't make it to Kettleman City.

This has been posted in several Northern California forums, but thought we should get it out to more owners. We are especially looking for Tesla owners from Southern California who can join us. Nevada, Arizona and anywhere else are also welcome!

Event development conversation.

We need to create a 2017 or 2018 West Coast Tesla Event

• Like x 6
    • Love x 5
    • Funny x 1
  2. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

#2 thecloud, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    ROLL CALL

Since our informal California TMC gathering is on for next weekend, would like to get an idea of how many car(load)s to expect.

1. If you are planning to attend this meet-up at the Kettleman City mega-supercharger (10:30 AM-12:30 PM, Sunday February 18th), please mark @Blu Zap 's post #1 in this thread (above) as Like.

2. If you are also planning to join us for the second part of the meet-up (lunch at Harris Ranch from roughly 12:45-2:30 PM), mark it as Love instead.

3. If you will only be able to come to the secondary meetup at Harris Ranch, mark as Funny.

The plan is still informal: meet up with other TMC members to chat and see lots of Teslas in one location, while checking out the new Kettleman City lounge and coffee bar as your car gets supercharged! Not sure yet whether there is room to move cars that aren't charging to some other spots, but we'll make it work somehow.

As this is a long drive for most of us, would recommend packing some food or grabbing a light breakfast on the way, since lunch won't be until 1:00. I'll bring some bagels or other baked goods to share; am planning to arrive at 10:30, assuming traffic cooperates. Others have mentioned 11:00 as their target, so if you're first to show up, just hang out and greet new arrivals.

Hope to see you there!

3. cpa

cpa Active Member

I had a thought:

If there is a substantial turnout at either or both locations, would it be prudent to reserve a dozen or so Supercharger stalls at Kettleman City, and perhaps four stalls at Harris Ranch to allow passersby a chance to plug in and receive the maximum current? Of course we would invite them in!

But not everyone scours this forum or other public areas of notice, and we might be guilty of ICEing our own inadvertently

Just throwing this out there for the movers and shakers.

• Like x 1
  4. thecloud

Those folks who are heading to Kettleman City first probably won't need to charge at Harris Ranch (since they'll have just charged at Kettleman), so we'll park on the opposite side facing the charger row.

Yes, in the event that many cars show up, we'll definitely have to rotate out of charging spots to allow everyone access to a charger. One concern is how Tesla is measuring idle fees. Does the session end when you unplug, or when you move your car? Is simply unplugging and moving to some other unoccupied spot going to be sufficient? Will email the help address and see if I can get an answer to that. You may not want to charge to 100% and then leave the car sitting idle for an hour, so the preferred strategy might be to not start your charging session until 11:30 or so.

p.s. @cpa , are you coming? If so, please "Like" the first post in this thread.

5. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

#5 bmah, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    @cpa, you bring up an excellent point about making sure we have space for travelers not part of our meet-up. This may or may not be a factor depending on how many of us there actually are, but that's something for us to keep an eye on.

I am planning for a short charge at Gustine on the way down (bathroom break), my "I was here" charge at Kettleman City, and maybe another bathroom break charge at Gustine northbound going home. I am probably not going to charge at Harris Ranch.

(Too bad we don't have TMC swag...that'd make it easy for us to find each other!)

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  6. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Never having been to either Kettleman or Harris Ranch, not sure what to expect. Trying to get a feel by looking through the photos of both Supercharger sites. BTW what restaurant is lunch at Harris? Enough space for cars there during lunch hour?

If charging is near capacity at Kettleman, wonder if the TMC group going on to Harris could all pull in around the old "drive thru area" and park cars there since we'd all be leaving at the same time. Guessing it's used for deliveries so might be a no-go.

7. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

IMG_1439 (1).jpg I found the TMC Silicon Valley banner. Look for it when you arrive!
    View attachment 279105
    Hey Bruce, all,
    I will have the TMC Silicon Valley banner! I'll place it on my windshield. Dark blue MS red T logo. That will be our "beacon"! Same banner I had at our Tesla Factory meet-up last year.

8. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

We have two attendees from the TMC NorCal group and two from the Facebook groups, Northern California owners and Model S owners. Lots of views. I think we will get some folks that did not reply. Others replying are all of us who are already discussing on this thread. Should be fun. There will be more participants than we know about now.
    There will be plenty of SuC chargers available and lunch tables at Harris Ranch.

9. Petra

Petra Member

I'm absolutely not a morning person, so this sounds like a terrible idea... but, tentatively, I'm in for the meetup at Kettleman.

• Like x 1
  10. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Does @Lloyd know about this? Wondering if there are other Central Calif owners from that club that might attend. Really close for them.

• Like x 1
  11. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

You might want to reach out to the official Tesla Owners clubs directly. Here is a link to the contact list:

Tesla Owners Club Directory

• Like x 1
  12. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Please feel free to spread the word to other groups you know may be interested. This is a collaborative event not sponsored by any group in particular. Our success will be based on a group effort of inviting Tesla owners we are connected with. @SMAlset please reach out to @Lloyd and others you know in the Central Calif.owners group. @DrComputer please reach out to any of the other California groups we have not hit. Since you are president of the TeslaClubLA, please get the word out to your group Also any other Tesla Owners groups in SoCal.

Together, we will make this as big and fun event as possible!

13. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Sent a PM to him. Hopefully he and others in the Central Coast area will see it in time and can make it. Looks like a nice day weather-wise too.

• Like x 1
  14. cpa

cpa Active Member

Cloud, probably not. You are doubtless aware that it is harvest season for me. I don't know right now if I will be home that morning, as I help a colleague in Modesto every other weekend, and partnership returns are stacking up. If I am home, I will have to see how I feel Sunday morning.

It sounds like it would be fun, and it is only 75 minutes from our house, but the timing is not the best for someone in my particular industry!

15. thecloud

That's a good point. I'd just assumed we'd notice a cluster of people talking, and go over to say hello.

Blu Zap will have his blue P85+ Model S with the Tesla Motors Club Silicon Valley banner, but likely won't arrive until after 11:00. I'm planning to get there at 10:30, so look for a steel grey P85 and then introduce yourself to whomever is loitering next to it. ;)

Looks like only 7 cars confirmed so far, based on the Likes/Loves for the first post in this thread (I'm counting the OP, of course.) Have there been any affirmative responses in other groups, or on FB?

16. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

The Northern California Tesla Owners group on FB had three replies when I last looked (two of them were Blu Zap and myself). I've talked to a couple of people on Slack (tesla-enthusiasts.slack.com) who were interested but not committed yet.

I'm bringing a metallic silver S85D with a body-color roof, which is a real common configuration. Also I really do look like my avatar...well maybe a bit older and grayer. :D

Bruce.

17. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#17 SMAlset, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    A notice was posted in the Central Coast club (forum area) and I noticed today that an owner replied that he was going to try to make it (btw user name not indicated in Post #1).

I also extended a welcome to the newly formed San Francisco club today.

18. Duffer

Duffer TSLA Long

I listed myself as "attending" on the NorCal forum shortly after this event was announced. This was going to be a great "practice run" for our trip to Santa Maria next month.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend after all. My wife and I just found out last night that we're hosting one of her brothers who is flying in for the family's Chinese New Year gathering (which we also just found out about). :eek:
    Have to love family:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing all of the pictures and reading the recaps.

19. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#19 SMAlset, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Sorry Duffer you won't be able to make it. The central coast has a lot of great things to do and sure you will enjoy your trip down next month.

Last summer we made two trips down with our new 2017 S75D and charged to 90% at Gilroy for a little cushion (first road trip anxiety) and then at Atascadero and then at Buellton while we stayed in the area. With the addition of Superchargers at Salinas no one should have any anxiety getting to Atascadero. The San Luis Obisbo (Madonna Inn) location likely won't be ready by next month but hopefully up by summer. You will love how your 75D handles up and down the Cuesta Grade. Many wineries and a few businesses in the area offer patron destination charging and if you are driving south of Santa Maria, I'll recommend a stop at Bob's Well Bread Bakery in Los Alamos right off 101 (HPWC in back and really good breakfast/lunch items). Bob and wife are Model 3 reservation holders so nice to support them. This trip down to the Meet Up we'll stop in San Ardo (there is zilch along this long stretch of Highway 101 to stop at otherwise) and visit 43 Ranch (also right off 101) for an olive oil tour of their mill and pick up a bottle to take home (they have 3 16kW HPWC). If you do plan to stop at either, check their websites for days/hours.

Hope to see you at another event. Would have been interesting to see our car with the newer cream interior.

• Like x 1
  20. roblab

roblab Active Member

We'll bring the 3. I plan to see if I can make it on one charge. It's only 255 miles from here.

• Like x 5