TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

meeting with an auto journalist on Friday...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mnx, Aug 27, 2013.

1. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

So I'm going to be part of a video review of the Model S... I'm meeting with Peter Lowe (https://www.facebook.com/ClearCarReviews) this Friday. I'm going to be giving him a tour of the car etc, answering a few questions and letting him take it our for a spin.

I'll share the link with your guys once it's online.

Any tips? Important features of the Model S to highlight?

2. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Have plenty of charge when you start and range charge if there will be any long distance driving. Don't give the reporter an excuse to pull a Broder.

3. DSJ

DSJ P85+ VIN 14652

One thing I find surprises people - the amount of storage space the Model S has. I like to hit on that when showing the vehicle to friends and family. It tends to get overlooked.

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Agree on the storage space, especially since some of it (frunk and the trunk well) can easily be overlooked.

Another thing that I always find worth explaining is the throttle response. Lowe may feel it when he drives it, but it needs to be explained for people watching the video, most of whom have never given any thought to how driving electric might actually be better than gas. Punch the accelerator in a gas car and the first thing you will do is slow down to shift. Then you have to wait for turbos, rpms, drivetrain lag, etc. But things are already hooked up in EVs so you are moving faster as soon as you touch the pedal. That's the part that makes it so hard to go back to driving a gas car - they feel mushy.

Put a real number on how much you are saving in fuel costs per month or year. Most people have heard electricity is cheaper, but many seem to think it's only 10 or 20% cheaper. They can't see that in the video either, so it needs to be discussed.

Don't forget the crash tests! Another important but invisible item worth bringing up.

5. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Please, please, please... highlight the fact that you charge at HOME and don't/or rarely need to access chargers away from home... people get so hung up on "what if i can't find a charger" and don't even realize you charge in your own garage at times... they take for granted the things we assume are no-brainers

6. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Thanks Chad, I hadn't pulled up the Model S vs. my other vehicle (a 2007 Toyota Sienna) lately... I thought fuel costs were ~1/4 for the Model S, but it appears they are less than 1/5!

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'd like to see one of our members (Ben?) demonstrate this with a water bottle in the cupholder.

I'd love to see a drag race with an appropriate competitor (something with an advertised 0-60mph of at most 4.4s) with a split screen of the cabin zoomed in on the water bottle. I expect to see initial sloshing in the S and then a steady angle water surface. In the ICE vehicle, I expect to see it slosh in the opposite direction with every shift.

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Had a blast yesterday, didn't talk on camera as much as I thought I might have to. Will be interesting to see the finished product. Here is a teaser that Peter posted, full video will be online next week.

Tesla Teaser - YouTube

I can't wait to replace those Goodyear OEM tires with Michelin pilot SS. :)

9. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Sweet! Looking forward to the final product.