Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's true. I haven't narrowed down the source of the buzzing. The phone chargers aren't in use when I hear the sound. It seems to be coming from the dash. I'll get out a mic and headphones...
You may find it's the yoke. A few reports of that buzzing (mine included), and the inductive chargers (mine included). I normally have music on so neither of these things bother me.

Reactions: impastu
You may find it's the yoke. A few reports of that buzzing (mine included), and the inductive chargers (mine included). I normally have music on so neither of these things bother me.

Wow, you were right. It is the yoke buzzing. That's unbelievable. How do you mess up the engineering of a simple set of buttons so badly that it makes noise? It seems like the circuit is driving the haptic motor all the time with some low level, high-frequency current. Would have been totally avoided if they just put real, physical buttons on the yoke instead. That would have made it so much better. Then I'd be able to press them without looking down...

Here is the yoke noise:

Also, in my search for noise, it turns out the rear-view mirror also makes noise. How do you mess that up?

• Funny
Wow, you were right. It is the yoke buzzing. That's unbelievable. How do you mess up the engineering of a simple set of buttons so badly that it makes noise? It seems like the circuit is driving the haptic motor all the time with some low level, high-frequency current. Would have been totally avoided if they just put real, physical buttons on the yoke instead. That would have made it so much better. Then I'd be able to press them without looking down...

Here is the yoke noise:

Also, in my search for noise, it turns out the rear-view mirror also makes noise. How do you mess that up?
Yep that’s the sound! Thanks, Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Yep that’s the sound! Thanks, Tesla.
I finally heard the buzzing you're talking about. I have to put my ear right up to it to hear it though and it's coming from the turn signal side. Maybe I'm losing my hearing from all the kids yelling at me all the time.

My car also has a airbag recall so not sure if they'll replace the entire yoke or just part of it...

I finally heard the buzzing you're talking about. I have to put my ear right up to it to hear it though and it's coming from the turn signal side. Maybe I'm losing my hearing from all the kids yelling at me all the time.

My car also has a airbag recall so not sure if they'll replace the entire yoke or just part of it...

Right. Interestingly, I was checking out my yoke today again on 2021.36.8.6 and it wasn't making the buzzing sound. But I've heard it before, and if you're sensitive to such things it might annoy. Thankfully I always have music on anyway, so it's not a huge deal. Just a smaller annoyance. I have the airbag recall, too.

Haha. Mine screams a lot, but she's only 3 so I haven't had as many years for my hearing to fade... I can hear it with the music off clearly. It's really noticeable with the HVAC fan low or off.

Hah, mine was buzzing again today on 2021.36.8.6. So it does seem intermittent, for whatever reason.

As my delivery date approaches (before it gets pushed out again, of course), I dread opening this thread. :(

Maybe I should wait another year, I think.
They'll fix the headlights, I think.
Surely quality will improve, I think.

Sigh.

@planetary Given my experience, and not so fun journey, waiting six months might be a good move - to see if quality improves, and/or if obvious misses are rectified, like the damn headlights sucking so bad.

@planetary Given my experience, and not so fun journey, waiting six months might be a good move - to see if quality improves, and/or if obvious misses are rectified, like the damn headlights sucking so bad.
The headlights are likely not being updated in the next 6 months. That'd be a mid-model refresh, I'd expect. Of course, anything is possible, but... I'm dubious, especially on a comparatively low-volume vehicle like this.