Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also the checklist was incredibly helpful when I picked up my 22 last week. Front bumper alignment is very slightly off, the window gaskets are not quite right, and the chrome trim line doesn't line up between the dash and passenger door. Of course the store said this was all "in spec." I feel quite fortunate compared to others in the thread. Oh, and of course missing mats and cargo cover.

I just got a call offering me same exact specs as my MS long range I ordered back in May. Guy on the phone said they did have to fix some alignment issues with the panels, but it all taken care of. I haven't seen the car, but they want me to take delivery before year-end. I don't even have the financing done yet.

Reactions: impastu
What have you guys done to get the missing mats/cargo cover? I live about an hour from my service center.
As others said, have them send a ranger to your house. They will want you to "come in" because fir whatever reason Tesla is "requiring service on new Model S" to come in (from what I have been told and experienced). But tell them you want a ranger to come or just mail them to you. It is not rocket science to install.

Reactions: bhzmark and impastu
I just got a call offering me same exact specs as my MS long range I ordered back in May. Guy on the phone said they did have to fix some alignment issues with the panels, but it all taken care of. I haven't seen the car, but they want me to take delivery before year-end. I don't even have the financing done yet.
If you finance through Tesla, it is super easy. What is the VIN? Do you have a build date?

Pass if it's a 2021...

When I came in for other service, they did provide the missing cargo cover and license plate frame.
I recently went to my SC and asked for a rear license plate holder as my car was delivered without one. After a brief wait they handed me the holder. To my surprise I now see an invoice for CDN$29 + tax for the item. Ridiculous, I will ignore this.:mad:

Last edited:
I recently went to my SC and asked for a rear license plate holder as my car was delivered without one. After a brief wait they handed me the holder. To my surprise I now see an invoice for CDN$29 + tax for the item. Ridiculous, I will ignore this.:mad:
Don't ignore it. Submit a service request with the protest and it will probably be quickly reversed.

Hopefully this post will reside in the correct category.

I wanted to share my recent and not so recent experiences with my used and new Tesla Model S.

Let me preface by stating that the following is meant as constructive and not destructive criticism. Hopefully the experience I had will be helpful to present and future TESLA owners as well as TESLA (should they embrace my comments as being helpful).

To be clear this is my second S and I not only have shares in Tesla but have also been instrumental in facilitating the purchase of the product to a number of individuals with no compensation or remuneration.

That being said, I recently sold my 2016 P90D. It by far exceeded my expectations. However it did have quarks. The vehicle was in for service on a number of occasions due to inability of owner's manual to load. For the last service the vehicle was in the shop for several days for correction of the ongoing problem that resulted in erratic to no functionality (owner's manual). This was to be my final service (before taking ownership of my 2022 Model S LR), Although I was informed that it was fixed, it continued to be problematic and not usable.

Several weeks ago I received my LR 2022 Model S. I was told to allow approximately 1/2 hour on delivery day to go over the vehicle etc. My salesperson was scheduled to consummate the transaction. However I was told upon arrival that someone else would finalize the delivery. When asked where my salesman was, she told me he left for the day. I then indicated that I saw him a moment ago walking by with someone. She then responded that he was busy and she would be executing the delivery. Approximately 5 minutes into the paperwork etc. she lead me to the car with the key card. I was told that this should get me to my destination and I could program the key fobs upon arrival. Additionally, I was not given instructions re: emergency door release etc., etc.

When I ordered the vehicle I requested deletion of front license tag bracket. I was told that all are delivered installed on the vehicle from the factory. Tesla service can remove it once I signed the papers for ownership. I asked this newly assigned delivery person if they could now remove the bracket. Her response, "You will have to walk back to service and see if they can remove it." I naively expected that she would assist with the request and execution and not send me off as the errand boy. Unfortunately in the end I had to leave without this being performed.

Upon arrival home found several flaws:
1) Shift default on console (P,R,N,D) did not function properly
2) Retainers for inner fender liner on driver's side were missing (later found the 3 missing retainers laying in frunk)
3) Frunk liner on drivers side was not properly positioned
4) Minor scrape on bottom of bumper cover
5) Small chip on inner air duct of bumper cover
6 Minor chip underneath left rear quarter panel

In retrospect I suspect that the missing retainers, and improper positioning of the frunk panel (possibly even the bumper damage since all on the same side) may have been the result of a delivery issue or post assembly issue.

I should not have been inconvenienced or been required to bring a new vehicle in for service for items that should have been sorted out pre delivery. However I once again found myself having to schedule and patiently wait for a service appointment (vehicle had less than 50 miles). At the 11th hour after rearranging my schedule, they notified me that the appointment was being moved further out. New appointment was for 12/30/2021. So once again I rearrange my schedule to accommodate. Now 1 hour ago I receive another communication that they have moved it to January 14.

TESLA IF YOU ARE LISTENING, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO WIN OVER CUSTOMERS AND MAINTAIN BRAND LOYALTY. ESPECIALLY WITH A VEHICLE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SORTED OUT. WILL I ONCE AGAIN BE TEASED ON JAN 14 AND HAVE TO REARRANGE MY SCHEDULE AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN??.

In closing I hope this is utilized as constructive and others can learn from this experience so that their delivery leaves a lasting positive impression.

I wanted to share my recent and not so recent experiences with my used and new Tesla Model S.

Let me preface by stating that the following is meant as constructive and not destructive criticism. Hopefully the experience I had will be helpful to present and future TESLA owners as well as TESLA (should they embrace my comments as being helpful).

To be clear this is my second S and I not only have shares in Tesla but have also been instrumental in facilitating the purchase of the product to a number of individuals with no compensation or remuneration.

That being said, I recently sold my 2016 P90D. It by far exceeded my expectations. However it did have quarks. The vehicle was in for service on a number of occasions due to inability of owner's manual to load. For the last service the vehicle was in the shop for several days for correction of the ongoing problem that resulted in erratic to no functionality (owner's manual). This was to be my final service (before taking ownership of my 2022 Model S LR), Although I was informed that it was fixed, it continued to be problematic and not usable.

Several weeks ago I received my LR 2022 Model S. I was told to allow approximately 1/2 hour on delivery day to go over the vehicle etc. My salesperson was scheduled to consummate the transaction. However I was told upon arrival that someone else would finalize the delivery. When asked where my salesman was, she told me he left for the day. I then indicated that I saw him a moment ago walking by with someone. She then responded that he was busy and she would be executing the delivery. Approximately 5 minutes into the paperwork etc. she lead me to the car with the key card. I was told that this should get me to my destination and I could program the key fobs upon arrival. Additionally, I was not given instructions re: emergency door release etc., etc.

When I ordered the vehicle I requested deletion of front license tag bracket. I was told that all are delivered installed on the vehicle from the factory. Tesla service can remove it once I signed the papers for ownership. I asked this newly assigned delivery person if they could now remove the bracket. Her response, "You will have to walk back to service and see if they can remove it." I naively expected that she would assist with the request and execution and not send me off as the errand boy. Unfortunately in the end I had to leave without this being performed.

2) Retainers for inner fender liner on driver's side were missing (later found the 3 missing retainers laying in frunk)

In retrospect I suspect that the missing retainers, and improper positioning of the frunk panel (possibly even the bumper damage since all on the same side) may have been the result of a delivery issue or post assembly issue.

I should not have been inconvenienced or been required to bring a new vehicle in for service for items that should have been sorted out pre delivery. However I once again found myself having to schedule and patiently wait for a service appointment (vehicle had less than 50 miles). At the 11th hour after rearranging my schedule, they notified me that the appointment was being moved further out. New appointment was for 12/30/2021. So once again I rearrange my schedule to accommodate. Now 1 hour ago I receive another communication that they have moved it to January 14.

TESLA IF YOU ARE LISTENING, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO WIN OVER CUSTOMERS AND MAINTAIN BRAND LOYALTY. ESPECIALLY WITH A VEHICLE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SORTED OUT. WILL I ONCE AGAIN BE TEASED ON JAN 14 AND HAVE TO REARRANGE MY SCHEDULE AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN??.

In closing I hope this is utilized as constructive and others can learn from this experience so that their delivery leaves a lasting positive impression.
That actually seems like pretty minor defects compared to what the rest of us have. Good luck getting them fixed.

They straight up told me they could not remove the front plate mount. Took me 15 minutes to remove. Use fishing line and a hair dryer to warm it up. Tutorials on YouTube.

What makes you think Tesla is reading anything on this not-affiliated-with-tesla-run-by-enthusiasts web forum?

Yea. They won't remove the bracket. I wish my luck was that simple. After PPF and everything. Currently in the shop. Getting it's AC box replaced, front fog light replaced, rear door handle replaced, alignment, and hopefully the cover for the trunk. Since taking delivery I've had this thing in my garage for 6 days (part was my doing with getting PPF done which now I hope they don't mess up)

It's been an experience that's for sure. Hang in there. At least you get to drive your car while waiting for service. I asked if I could pick mine back up while waiting on parts but it's disassembled, so no joy there. Lucky it's scheduled to be finished while I'm on vacation. Waiting for that to get pushed back. Haha. I just hope I get to enjoy it for a few days before my first payment.

I picked up my car(2022 LR, white seats, FSD) on 12/22 and noticed the following after taking it to my detailer for inspection:
  • Fog lamps not clear
  • Passenger door does not easily close
  • Passenger door gap, misalignment
  • Drivers door handle protruding slightly after close
  • Passenger rear door rubber moulding damage
  • Dust nib passenger rear side
  • Passenger upper front fender shows gap and is loose
  • Frunk requires excessive force to latch close
  • Right interior rear door inside is bumpy
  • Frunk hood uneven gaps, rubber seals
  • Front hood scratches
The only item of concern is the dust NIB which will require repaint of that panel and adjacent panel to correct. I want to get PPF and ceramic coating so probably need to get this done but somewhat nervous and hope it works out.

Service is scheduled for 1/27 and will take 7-10 days..

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpeg
    IMG_1729.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Inspired by @black knight 3 (who apparently is located not far from me), I'll also offer an update. Took delivery on Dec 23rd. Early impressions were great. Since then, a few things -- none of which have been worth a service call so far.
  • On my first highway drive, I noticed a high-pitched motor noise at precisely 71 mph. Have not noticed it since.
  • Developed rattles in the back. Thanks to threads here, I knew what to do, and applied black gaffer's tape to the metal seat latches. One layer of tape was not enough to fix it. Needed 2 layers, completely covering all the metal.
  • Passenger doors hard to close. As expected, no big deal. Just something I have to tell guests, along with how to open the car.
  • When the car is charging at home [Gen 1 wall charger], and I'm sitting in it, I've noticed the yoke button lights flicker every 20 minutes or so. Never during regular use.
  • When the car is charging at home [Gen 1 wall charger], and I enter the car, sometimes I get a [paraphrased] "can't connect to the charger" error. Sometimes, I get an error when disconnecting the charger from the car, i.e. the charging port goes red.
That last one (charging-related errors) is the one that I'm keeping my eye on the most. I'll give it a couple software updates, and file a service ticket if it's more than intermittent.

Last edited:
Inspired by @black knight 3 (who apparently is located not far from me), I'll also offer an update. Took delivery on Dec 23rd. Early impressions were great. Since then, a few things -- none of which have been worth a service call so far.
  • On my first highway drive, I noticed a high-pitched motor noise at precisely 71 mph. Have not noticed it since.
  • Developed rattles in the back. Thanks to threads here, I knew what to do, and applied black gaffer's tape to the metal seat latches. One layer of tape was not enough to fix it. Needed 2 layers, completely covering all the metal.
  • Passenger doors hard to close. As expected, no big deal. Just something I have to tell guests, along with how to open the car.
  • When the car is charging at home [Gen 1 wall charger], and I'm sitting in it, I've noticed the yoke button lights flicker every 20 minutes or so. Never during regular use.
  • When the car is charging at home [Gen 1 wall charger], and I enter the car, sometimes I get a [paraphrased] "can't connect to the charger" error. Sometimes, I get an error when disconnecting the charger from the car, i.e. the charging port goes red.
That last one (charging-related errors) is the one that I'm keeping my eye on the most. I'll give it a couple software updates, and file a service ticket if it's more than intermittent.
I picked up on 12/22. is it fair to say that I have no option to return for a refund at this point since I accepted delivery and the car is 6 days old and 285 miles on it? I could reach out to the sales advisor but I'm thinking that may go nowhere. I'm more concerned about the repaint for the dust nib. That's not a good thing on a new car and could make the situation worse than it is now.

Reactions: impastu